How busy is Moreton Island in the June school holidays? Permits?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 20, 2016 at 16:53
ThreadID: 131406 Views:2126 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
How busy is Moreton Island in the winter school holidays ?
Also the booking system for the bush camping undesignated sites. How does that work ?
We are happy to pay the permits but how on earth do you know where you want to camp until you get there? I have read all the 96 previous posts.
I rang National Parks but the lovely young lady told me you get fined if your permit doesn't specify the name of your site, even when it does not have a name! We are fine with booking a named area initially, but may want to explore and find a more remote spot when we arrive. Please help two very confused Victorians!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2016 at 19:39

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2016 at 19:39
Chris / Lindsay,

I found with Straddie we just had to book a camp area, and then we could camp in any of the specified spots in that area.
Not sure if Moreton is the same, but suggest you wing it or maybe just get a few suggestions from those that have been there / know the camps, and let them help you choose the best spot.

You might have to advise number of adults / children, tents or camper, how many days staying, do you want to stay and relax or do a lot of driving (a central place might be better then).

The QLD system sucks a bit with the pre bookings, but that's the way it runs unfortunately.

I would post that info here for ExplorOz memebrs to assist with, also 4x4 Earth (Camping Areas section) has a lot of SE QLDrs there, maybe 4WD Action forum is worth a shot (if the sites up !), it also has a suitable section for such info.
AnswerID: 595200

Reply By: Top End Az - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2016 at 22:04

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2016 at 22:04
We gave up trying to predict where and when we would be camping in Qld in terms of trying to book ahead online and ended up camping at unpowered sites in caravan parks when we arrived on our schedule on our terms. Same at Bungle Bungles. Online said no vacancies fully booked. I called the Ranger and they said the park was empty.
From my experience school holidays anywhere is busy despite summer or winter. Sorry cant help further
AnswerID: 595210

Reply By: Nutta - Thursday, Jan 21, 2016 at 21:04

Thursday, Jan 21, 2016 at 21:04
I cant remember the name of the campground on the western side mid island but it could be cowan cowan, if so just book it, its a big ground and you shouldnt have any trouble getting a spot.

Moretons fairly expensive to get to so i dont think itll get to busy on the school holidays, im sure the ranger will give you a break if theres any dramas, as long as your fees are paid, the eastern side also has endless camping so plenty of options.
AnswerID: 595240

Reply By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Friday, Jan 22, 2016 at 08:41

Friday, Jan 22, 2016 at 08:41
Thanks for the advice everyone.
We will enjoy our visit in spite of the permit system.
Christine
AnswerID: 595250

Sponsored Links