Australia Day!,..Its Here again..

Submitted: Monday, Jan 25, 2016 at 21:04
ThreadID: 131456 Views:2583 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We Are a very lucky country,,Know doubt about it,.We celebrate as Tru Blu Aussies, But How many think" Beauty! another holiday"? And not think WE ARE A LUCKY COUNTRY!?

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Jan 25, 2016 at 22:38

Monday, Jan 25, 2016 at 22:38
Howdy Axle

I would love to give you my thoughts on this interesting topic about we are a lucky country but I fear the over sensitive PC brigade would have a field day because they çan't handle the truth !!

All the best to you and everyone else here on this great site and as far as tomorrow goes, may your pies be hot, your beers be cold, your music be loud and you be proud !!

Australia - still the greatest place to live !!!

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 595418

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 22:29

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 22:29
I don't think it is because of the truth, most aussies that are not racist, bigoted or a red neck would just see it and say it.

If you have something to say and your facts are true, why would you not say it.

To be honest if you had omitted your first sentence, nobody would have a reason to question your political correctness but we do now.

The rest of your post is fine.
FollowupID: 864173

Reply By: brushmarx - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 08:41

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 08:41
Why can't we think both?
I reckon we are a lucky country, AND I like Australia Day as another holiday.
If some people want to have a whinge about early settlers treatment of what many consider to be the first Australians, they are lucky enough to have that right.
Just as business owners have the right to have a whinge about the millions lost in wages for a celebration that probably could be held on a weekend and if so no one would treat it any different.
If push came to shove I would rather scrap The Queens Birthday or May Day to celebrate a National Day that should apply to all Aussies no matter what origins the individuals called home.
But that is just one individual's thought written with freedom of speech in a Lucky Country on a day I slept in rather than prepared for work.
It is a pity I don't overly enjoy lamb.
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595428

Reply By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 09:57

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 09:57
Guess it is what it is! Nothing can change history... But one thing I do know, is when you are parked in some remote, out of the way place, and take in the view.. You can feel a certain presence.. Can't explain it.. Just feel part of it... I've traveled around the world a bit, lived in east Africa for a number of years, but this country is by far the greatest place on earth.. I'm proud to be Australian, proud of its indigenous people, and respect their past and their believes.. and cultures.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595435

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 22:38

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 22:38
I agree with everything you have said. But I also believe that a better date to celebrate our luck at being born here would have been the 1st of January, it being the date of Federation when we actually did become Australia in 1901. It would probably be a less contentious date for all Australians as well. Possibly not chosen because it is already a holiday.....now that's Australian. :-)
FollowupID: 864175

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:51
'

Just look at the positives Axle.

"Australians all let us rejoice..........."

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595438

Reply By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 15:08

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 15:08
Everyone who lives in a first world country believes they live in the best country on earth: Britons, Australians, New Zealanders, Americans, Germans and so on. , if you've lived in a third world country for any appreciable time the thought runs true. Realistically what it boils down to is western civilization strives to better our freedoms so any westerner is indeed lucky not to be living somewhere like Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan where things we take for granted like freedom of speech and religion are not guaranteed. However, the wave of political correctness that now pervades and overwhelms our society ensures we will catch up very quickly to third world idealism.
AnswerID: 595451

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 16:38

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 16:38
I just had to post this one. Saw on the arvo idiot box 9news today that a trucking company has banned their drivers from using the word "mate"

What!!

I am flabbergasted.

Next they will be wearing full three piece suits with their things.

Phil (and to use todays vernacular) ROFL all over the bloody place. Mate!.

PS That was a bit uncouth of me. I should have said, the high visibility yellow coloured three piece suit and highly polished patent leather steel cap boots. Sorry Mate (tips me bowler)
AnswerID: 595555

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Friday, Jan 29, 2016 at 14:19

Friday, Jan 29, 2016 at 14:19
Yes Axle,
We agree, we are a Lucky country, but wish the date would be changed.
We also wish every body who wishes to celebrate the day to enjoy.

We don't, get the day off and we don't get paid if we take it off.
We are both born in Australia . We love "OUR SUNBURNT COUNTRY" .We don't stick to tradition but we do tend, more than usual, to think of the convicts, some of which were only children who suffered horrendously. Just to get off of those ships & be standing on Land would've been such a relief.
Sadly, this True Blue Aussie country is turning sour in some ways, if Truckies can't call each other mate etc. it realy is a shame. Mate, is Australian as you'll ever be.

Take care,Safe Travels. Ma
AnswerID: 595597

Sponsored Links