86 mm of rain in Kalgoorlie last night

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 14:15
ThreadID: 131462 Views:2144 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
So can we please keep off the tracks around here for a day or two!

I like to be able to drive on the tracks when they're dry too, and not all completely rutted and chopped up with huge bog holes because some idiot thinks four wheel driving means testing your machine to it's absolute limits in the mud and stuffing the track up for everyone for all time.

Rant over. Happy 'straya day fellow campers.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 14:30

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 14:30
Wow, that must have been some storm.

In the wake of the huge Waroona fire there has been a lot of unseasonal rain in the southern half of WA in the last week and the Blackwood River has a minor flood, sadly with the death of a kayaker.

Here in Perth we have basically had a thunderstorm a day, which is a bit unusual, but the rain has been patchy. I had 21mm in half an hour one day day last week and a few suburbs away there was none.

Its a funny summer here in the west.

Cheers

AnswerID: 595449

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 14:59

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 14:59
Yeah it wasn't a storm so much as just a BIG cloud that kept on giving. it started about 4.30pm and rained pretty steadily til about 10.30 last night.

We had that big trough sitting over most of inland Australia in a giant rainbow shape which I guess just dragged a heap of moist tropical air inland and we happened to be under it when it opened up. Shame it wasn't over the Yarloop, Harvey, Waroona firegrounds a week or two back.

It's not unusual to have big deluges like this in Kalgoorlie, although 86mm is a bit more than usual. But probably two thirds of our 200-odd mm of rain that falls each year comes in big dollops like this in the summer.

There'll be some great lakeside camping in the next few months just to the south-east of Kal, if you want to make the trek out.
AnswerID: 595450

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 06:42

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 06:42
I wish to God the heavens would open up in SW QLD! That weather person who does the colouring in on the synoptic charts continually finds new ways to decorate the map that leave us out of the rain events. It rains to the north, or the south, or anywhere but here! At least they are getting it right.Hungerford, Kilcowera. Thargomindah, Cunnamulla, Quilpie are all desperate but all we ever hear about is Longreach! Rant over as I sit here contemplating another day of 42 degrees and not a drop in sight. Toni
AnswerID: 595522

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 20:27

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 20:27
I'm sick of hearing about Longreach, too. But they have a bigger airport and flasher accommodation and restaurants for the journalists and politicians. They don't like roughing it, you know.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 864267

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 07:57

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 07:57
On the 13/11/2014 I was at Cundeelee which is a quite elevated spot about 200 kilometres east of Kalgoorlie. I could hear thunder and see black clouds and lightning over Kalgoorlie. It was coming in my direction so I thought I had better get out of there. I made a dash towards Zanthus on the railway line 39 kilometres to the south. It was not long before the heavens opened up. 5 kilometres from Zanthus and the railway line the track was deteriorating rapidly, water everywhere, I came across some high ground so camped there. More rain fell overnight so I decided to say until it dried up rather than cut the track up. I was there for five nights.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595526

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 23:12

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 23:12
Yeah, I've had a couple of those over the years, where we've gotten extremely well acquainted with a little area whilst we waited for things to dry out enough to be able to move without having constant mud recovery operations. It's amazing what you see when you just have to stay put for an unexpected day or two. Quite nice really!
FollowupID: 864272

Sponsored Links