Article Comment: Great Central Road

During April, we are travelling Kalgoorlie - Rawlinna - Connie Sue - Warburton (GCR) - Gun Barrel - Wiluna. All our permit requirements were met by the Department of Aboriginal Affairs . We were told that we did not need to complete the Ngaanyatjarra paperwork as we were only transiting and overnighting at Warburton Roadhouse.
Any comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2016 at 15:06

Saturday, Jan 30, 2016 at 15:06
Who told you that?
AnswerID: 595663

Follow Up By: Member - nosey_bastid - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 03:11

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 03:11
Department of Aboriginal Affair's when I followed up on my permit
FollowupID: 864383

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:33

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:33
Ok, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Ngaanyatjarra paperwork." The permits required for the WA side are those provided by the WA Dept of Aboriginal Affairs, so it sounds like you are all good for them.
However you will still need permits for the very dubious pleasure of driving on the awful roads of the Northern Territory. These are obtained from the Central Land Council. A simple google search will tell you what you need.
In any event, whatever people "tell you" has far less authority to what the appropriate authorities put in writing to you. You can guarantee it's the bit in writing they'll enforce irrespective as to what you might have been "told" by however high an authority.
FollowupID: 864407

Follow Up By: Member - nosey_bastid - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:55

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 11:55
Cheers for getting back. I think the advice we have been receiving from some parties is due to confusion between the DAA online application and the hard copy one at
We have done all ours through DAA and they in turn liaise with the affected communities before approving the issue of permit.
On another note our trip all came about out of a desire to experience the Nullarbor Muster at Rawlinna 15-17 April 2016 - Sounds like it will be a blast.
FollowupID: 864408

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 10:46

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 10:46
Ah, I see what you're doing, you're not actually leaving WA so you don't need the NT permits. As a former DAA Goldfields regional manager, I can assure you that the permits you have from DAA are all you need as long as you are transiting the area on the existing tracks. If you are doing any more than that, you will need authority from the Ng council, which takes ages and is very often declined. As a regular attendee at Ng council meetings in a past role, I frequently saw these applications declined, especially if there was no one to speak on your behalf before the traditional owners.

If you are intending to do more, requiring an Ng council permit, there is a need for significant "ground preparation" such that the TO's get to know you well and are comfortable with both you and your aims. "Wanting to have a bit of a poke about in their country because you are curious" is generally not what they would regard as sufficient grounds to grant you a permit.

Driving up the Connie Sue, Heather and Gunbarrel Hwys with permits granted by DAA in a well prepared 4WDs in company so that you are self sufficient flies beneath their radar and you would generally have no concerns unless you upset the TO's, usually for some reason relating to disrespect.
FollowupID: 864470

Follow Up By: Member - nosey_bastid - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 12:56

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 12:56
Cheers Paul,
Now that info is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. We hope to do the Anne Beadell and Hannes tracks in the future and this trip is sort of setting the groundwork.
FollowupID: 864479

Reply By: Norm C (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2016 at 23:30

Saturday, Jan 30, 2016 at 23:30
I think you will still need a transit permit to go from Warburton to the boarder.
It's worth getting and costs nothing
AnswerID: 595679

Follow Up By: Member - nosey_bastid - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 03:13

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 03:13
I have the E permit issued by DAA. They said that was all I required
FollowupID: 864384

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:35

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:35
We travelled on the GCR a couple of years ago. We found there were lots of spots to pull over for the night, and we were able to top up our vans with water at roadhouses. If you have any specific questions I will respond to them.
AnswerID: 595737

Follow Up By: Member - nosey_bastid - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:48

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:48
Cheers mate... we will only be crossing the GCR as we will be coming up from Rawlinna.
Connie Sue - GCR - Overnight Warburton - GCR - Heather Hwy - Gunbarrel Hwy through to Wiluna
FollowupID: 864453

Reply By: Richard@ANTL - Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 09:18

Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 09:18
HI, would you be interested in participating in a open source data gathering program during your trip.

I am currently trying to record as much of Australia for its radiation levels and have been loaning out my sensor to friends when they go on trips, last year a friend drove to the cape and back and we got some great data. The system is part of which is collecting data from across the globe, its non political and freely shares its data.

As you can see form the map we have alot of space left to cover in Australia, I would fill in the details later, but you can see the recorders on the safecast site.

regards Richard
AnswerID: 595938

Follow Up By: Member - nosey_bastid - Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 10:11

Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 10:11
G'day Richard,

How big is the equipment?
Is it independently powered?
If not, what is the current draw?
Does the equipment require any special positioning, conditions etc..?
Is it fragile?
Is it moisture proof?

FollowupID: 864694

Follow Up By: Richard@ANTL - Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 11:01

Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 11:01
Hi, the recorder looks like this

although I have mine mounted in a black case so that the flashing lights don't bother the driver.

Basic operation is that the box is mounted to your windscreen with a suction cup and pointed outside, it contains its own battery but for longer than 40 hr trip (which yours would be) it would need to be plugged into a 5v power source via a usb lead, this can be through a cigarette lighter socket with an adapter if your car doesn't already have a spare 5v usb outlet.

it uses very little power - less than 0.25A and would not present a drain on the cars battery as when you are stopped and the engine not running the internal Bgeigie battery will run the unit for up to 40hrs, if this battery runs out then it will just shut down and restart when you get going again.

I am not sure how long your trip is but my friend took it on his trip to the Cape and back over three weeks and just set it up a left it running the whole time. With the data stored on the card and downloaded by me once he got back.

Its pretty robust when in the case and it has survived corrugated roads so far, my only suggestion is to use some cord to tie it in the car in case the suction cap lets go, and try not to drop it.

The case is mostly water resistant, I have had to bring two wires outside for the charging system and ran these through the cases door seal, I would want to take it swimming but would be resistant to rain and most likely survive a short dunking, I would expect there to be too many creek crossings where you are planning to go.

I hope this answers your questions - if you decide to go ahead I would give you a call and send it out to you along with a return post pack and give you some more instructions on how to operate it and probably show you how to exchange the data cards so that would allow you to send me the data card at intervals if you are going to be away for ages.

How long is your proposed trip.

my email is runwin at if you would like to message me.

for an article on the datalogger see -

regards Richard
FollowupID: 864700

Sponsored Links