On Road Dual Cab around $12k used

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 30, 2016 at 16:32
ThreadID: 131503 Views:2003 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I want to buy a dual cab, but my needs are a little different to many on here who are more hardcore, but still with a need many people have. I will do
~ almost all distance on road (city and highway)
~ not that many kms maybe 8,000 a year max
~ ute will sit on the street for a week at a time not used
~ tow a boat (under 2t)
~ carry a dirt bike, photocopier etc, nothing more than 500kg
~ carry up to 4 people fairly often
~ only mods would be bullbar, towbar and minor wheels/suspension work if needed to improve handling

So I want something that
~ handles on the street as well as can be
~ comfortable on highways (must have cruise control)
~ super reliable
~ cheap to maintain
~ decent rear seat room
~ prefer auto

Because of the low kms I will clock up, I'm a bit indifferent on the petrol vs diesel. Petrol cheaper to buy and maintain and is quieter but harder to sell later on and uses more fuel.
For 4wd vs 2wd I'm a bit indifferent as well, 2wd lighter, less fuel, lower maintenance cost. Low range could be useful maybe at boat ramp or the odd time I'm on a fire trail with the dirt bike. I guess a full time 4wd would be safer on road in the wet.

So after reading everything I can find on the forum I've come down to:
~ $11k Rodeo 4wd diesel
~ $11k Colorado 2wd petrol
~ $12k Hilux 2wd petrol 2006
~ $13kRanger PK 2wd diesel
~ $14k Triton MN diesel 4wd
~ $14.5 Navara D40 diesel

Does anyone have suggestions or actual living with day to day experience of the above models for the use case above or preferences for one over the other, which would you choose? Are some better on road/more reliable/cheaper to maintain?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jan 30, 2016 at 17:37

Saturday, Jan 30, 2016 at 17:37
Jon,

Going on the list of criteria and the vehicles chosen, personally I would go for the petrol Hilux 2WD.

The one time you may find 4WD handy is launching or retrieving your boat. Even launching ramps can be a bit slick if that slimy green weed is growing on them. It might just save you launching your ute along with the boat. As far as fire trails go, maybe unload the bike a bit earlier if the going gets a little gnarly.
If you do go 2WD I would make sure it has a good set of tyres on the back. Maybe even AT's rather than highway pattern.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 595667

Reply By: Jon S - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 19:57

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 19:57
Cool, thanks pop
so reading the forum more it seems like the rodeo/colorado seem reliable, just not that great on road performance
hilux is default choice since it does everything ok just not brilliantly
ranger had gearbox issues, seems like the 3L diesel had a bit much torque for it
triton seems like a good all rounder but maybe a little tinny in build quality
navara had issues with timing chain (clutch issues not relevant for me)

so if as you say the petrol is a good option then that means no triton or ranger, so hilux vs navara petrol which seems to be around $13.5k.
I understand the boat ramp thing re 4wd (I should go have a better look at my local ramp), but I think it would be nice to avoid any maintenance with the extra diffs and control system and weight.
AnswerID: 595727

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:40

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 21:40
Jon, if you're only going to do 8000kms annually and you're doing nearly all highway work, and you only want to spend $12K, then I'd suggest you don't buy a diesel.
That kind of money will only buy you a high-km diesel with potential high repair costs.

A 2WD will get you 95% of the places you want to go, and a limited slip or locker diff will improve 2WD performance even further again.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 595738

Follow Up By: Jon S - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 21:12

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 21:12
thanks Ron, I agree that a low km petrol looks like the way to go.
Of the two choices I see, would you pick the Hilux or Colorado 2wd?
FollowupID: 864502

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 22:47

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 22:47
Jon - Well, I'm normally a Toyota man through and through - but for $12K, you should be able to get a 2010 Colorado with low kms - which is much better than a 2006 Hilux with low kms.
Toyota went through a rough spot for a number of years between about 2003 and 2010, and they let the quality drop - badly, in some cases.
In the case of the V6 Toyota engine, the QC was so bad at one stage, the V6's were seizing within 400kms of new, due to assembly failures.
The Colorado of that era is every bit as good as the Hilux, and it doesn't have the Toyota "premium" added to the price.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 864510

Sponsored Links