Polyairs with leaf springs on 60 series ?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:11
ThreadID: 13152 Views:2080 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, ,

Has anyone fitted polyairs with leaf spring suspension ? I have a 60 series cruiser and us it to tow a van. Any comments on how successfull they are on this type of set-up would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:31

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:31
Chris,
I have fitted a few and I think that you are better off putting a helper leaf in the spring pack. The helper leaf is a heaver spring that is on the bottom of the spring pack and has less camber in it than the other springs. When the springs have enough weight on them they will rest on the helper spring and the spring pack will not sag any further. This way you can still have a good ride when the van is not hooked up and when it is the vehicle will not be draging its tail.
Polyairs work real well on coil springs but I have found that on leaf springs that they are small with a small coil spring around the bag it kept it in place and that they don't work as good as they should.
Wayne
AnswerID: 60105

Follow Up By: Member - Don (QLD) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:08

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:08
Wayne,
Arew the polyairs easy to fit to the coil sprung
80 series landcruiser.what about the lift do you take out the
bump stops or leave them in there place. Also can you tell me how many Kw your lancruiser produces.I have done just about all the tricks
and it shows on 71.3Kw from the wheels. Is this right or can i get more Kw out of the cruiser.
Thanks
Don
FollowupID: 321707

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:21

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:21
Don,
Polyairs on a cruiser,
1. Jack up the back of the vehicle and support the vehicle with jack stands under the chassis
2. Remove both rear wheels
3. Remove the bolts from the bottom of the shocks and pull the bottom of the shocks away from the shock mounts
4. Remove the rear stabiliser bar
5. Remove diff breather pipe
6. Remove the bolt that holds the brake pipes to the diff houesing and lever the bracket up a little
7. Lower the jack until the springs can be removed
8. Remove the bump stops ( 12mm socket on extension bar)
9. Useing a 44mm metal cutting hole saw cut a 44mm hole in the top of the spring tower, useing the hole where the bump stop bolt was removed from as a guide
10. Deburr the 44mm hole
11. Put the hose on to the top of the poly bag and pass the hose through the 44mm hole and have the poly bag hanging down where the spring would be
12. Replace the spring ,and have the poly bag in the middle of the spring
13. If a rubber spacer is to be used bolt it to the bottom of the spring seat
14. Jack the diff housing up until the spring is seated
15. Follow steps from 6 to 1
16. Run air line from the top of the poly bag to a place on the back of the vehicle where the valve can be mounted
17. Make sure the hose is not too short and that it does not get pinched
18. Pump the poly air bags up to 30psi and check the system for leakes

It is very important to drill the 44mm hole in the top of the spring seat so that the air line and the top of the poly bag can move around.

I don'y know how many kw my cruiser producers but I have had the impeller changed to a high flow unit and have had the exaust changed to a 2.5" pip with all the mufflers removed and the exaust pipe as straight as possible,eg from the turbo down along side the gear box( same as 100 series) then straight to the rear diff and a neat bend around the fuel tank and out the back. This did give me a lot more torque that I could feel straight away.

Wayne
FollowupID: 321728

Follow Up By: Member - Don (QLD) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 12:15

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 12:15
Wayne ,

Thanks for the info you provided.It will be a big help.So obviously
you do away with the bumps all together do you.I have been told
a few different things so it is easier to hear it from the horses mouth.
Once again thanks a bunch.

Don
FollowupID: 321792

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:42

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:42
Yep, i have OME rear leafs and polyairs, rides a little harsh without a load but adjust tyre pressure and it's better, we tow a heavy duty off road camper, works a treat. I figure when the leafs are a bit older and settled in the harshness will be a bit less.

Baz.
AnswerID: 60108

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:23

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:23
Hi Chris I have coil springs added to my 60 and they work great, and you dont need polyairs. Mine come from a springworks in Adelaide so I would ring around over there to see if anyone does the same. If not I can get you some more detail, unless you trippin this way.
AnswerID: 60121

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:05

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:05
Chris have that set up and done about 200,000 ks on them and no problems to date .

All the best
Eric
CyC
AnswerID: 60147

Reply By: mijochka - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:08

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:08
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you bother? I tow a very heavy 24' van with my HJ61 & I took it to City Suspension (Springwood Brisbane ), told them what I used it for and they fitted new rear springs. Vehicle rides acceptably empty,quite well with some load and with Hayman Reese WDH handles the van beautifully.Don't do hard core off road, but at a Duncan's 4WD course the old girl handled the terrain as well as any and better than quite a few later model tricked up jiggers.
Mick
AnswerID: 60212

Sponsored Links