Best deal on a Travel Buddy Oven. Any links?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 22:19
ThreadID: 131536 Views:3445 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of buying the basic Travel Buddy Oven. Trying to find the best price. We are in Melbourne and I know they are online too but then postage adds to the total cost. Any advice welcome.
Christine
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 07:57

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 07:57
We looked at these but baulked at the cost.

Bought a 12v oven at a Supercheap 20% off sale instead so around $30. Cheap enough to toss if complete rubbish.
Well its been simply brilliant. Has space for 4 pies and cooks these from frozen in about 2 hours on its lowest setting.
Has an element top and bottom so cooks fairly evenly.
Done about 10,000Km (lots of pies) with it incl Cape York corrugations and its still going strong.
Would definitely buy another way before I bought a Travel Buddy.

Some reviews:
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/105202/Better_12V_Camping_Stove.aspx
AnswerID: 595853

Follow Up By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 08:52

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 08:52
Does it have a brand name?
Christine
FollowupID: 864588

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 09:32

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 09:32
Can't recall one but I'll look tonight.
Not currently on the SC website but they come and go all the time from their catalogue.
Here's another pic of it from SC
http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/sca/images/zooms/344856-zoom.jpg
Might be worth asking at a shop or emailing SC as they can all see the stock level in every other shop. One of them might still have stock.
They are in stock in NZ, maybe they could pull one back for you?
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/SCA-12-Volt-Travel-Oven.aspx?pid=344856
FollowupID: 864592

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 17:21

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 17:21
I have one of these too. It does work very well for heating pies and sausage rolls. It will take 6 large sausage rolls. The plastic front "glass" fell off mine and I can't find it. I use alfoil to hold everything in.

I too use it to heat up frozen pies etc. It does get quite hot. I'm not sure it is useful for anything else. Sometimes you can get them from Amazon too. Their brand is RoadPro. Also call Supercheap stores around you . They often have one or two in stock despite what the website says.

Another alternative is the jaycar one.
Jaycar version

This one is slightly tougher and will also take 4 pies. I'm thinking of going back to one of these given my broken front panel.

Either way there is nothing better than suddenly appearing with a hot pie on a cold day in the middle of the high country. Your friends will be green with envy.

FollowupID: 864615

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 17:28

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 17:28
I looked at those before buying the supercheap. Lots of rather bad reviews put me right off. Only one element right at the bottom.

Should also say, wrap the food in foil or get pies in the cellophane stuff. They get pounded to death on corrugations.
FollowupID: 864616

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 19:07

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 19:07
Malcom, I have owned both. I bought the supercheap one because it looked bigger and could heat top and bottom. I think the reality is that there is alost zero difference between the two. While in theory the supercheap one should heat the top better, I found that both work best if you swap the top and bottom layers over half way or don't try to stuff them full. Both take 4 pies.
The Jaycar one is definitely tuffer and both will do the job of heating pies and sausage rolls equally well. Hence my thoughts on going back to Jaycar. The Supercheap one has a bit of an edge in keeping things warm.
I haven't had a Travel Buddy, It looks to big to shove in the back of the car, and it's over the top for heating pies unless you want to do more than 4. It may be useful for other bigger things too.
As an aside, change the plug form a cigeratte lighter style plug to merit, on both, their plugs get nearly as hot as the oven otherwise.

One other thing I did is buy the silicon BBQ sheets on ebay, then cut them up to fit the bottom. It stops the pies sticking. It works really well.
FollowupID: 864623

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 15:31

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 15:31
Christine
Had one for about 15 months now, and beats all others hands down.......
They are actually manufactured in Bendigo so maybe a Saturday drive and pick it up direct from factory.
Ph 03 5441 3388.
My unit is the larger one and found that by placing 2 strips of exhaust bandage on inside of door and fitting another thin sheet of stainless steel, holding it in place with existing handle "bolt" and a small stainless bolt opposite, it improves dramatically.
Most important not to block 3 vents on top of door.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595870

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 17:31

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 17:31
You've tried all others then?

FollowupID: 864617

Reply By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 18:06

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 18:06
Thanks for all the info people. That's what I love about this forum. You get lots of opinions and ideas to mull over.

Christine
AnswerID: 595876

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 20:44

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 20:44
G`day Christine,

The Travel Buddy is a quality Aussie made product that you can talk to the manufacturer about if you have any issues.( not that it is likely)
All info available here.http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 595880

Reply By: allblack55 - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 22:02

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 22:02
We have two Travel Buddy ovens, one of the very original models permanent in the Prado and a more recent version that we use for the day trips in the family wagon. My other half declares they are the best item we have purchased for travelling, sure they are expensive but almost bullet proof, and locally made. People have actually cooked meat and vegies in them. The old story, you get what you pay for.

Leigh
AnswerID: 595885

Sponsored Links