Water Filters

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 09:02
ThreadID: 131537 Views:3823 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Noticed on ebay that a company called Watercyle are selling filters for caravans,he states 0.02% filtration any body got any feed back on these filters they look like the BEST filters.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 11:21

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 11:21
Any link?
AnswerID: 595864

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 11:46

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 11:46
Humpback - Do you mean, "Watercircle"? - the 2" x 10" (50mm x 250mm) tube-style, throwaway-style activated carbon filters?
Haven't used that style personally, but I've got dual water filters on the house - sediment and activated carbon.

Good quality activated carbon is generally good for taking out nasty bugs, mineral taste, chlorine taste, and for very fine filtration in general.
They can't cope with any sediment or dirt, they will block very quickly, due to the filtering action being the water moving through the "pores" or extremely fine passageways in the carbon.

Note that these are made for the American market - they list "1500 gallons" (6819 litres) as their lifespan.
That would be a maximum lifespan, it's highly unlikely they would last that long.

Note also the threads are FIP (Female Iron Pipe). This thread is actually American NPT (National Pipe Thread) - it's a substantially different thread to BSP.
You're O.K. as long as you buy the correct FIP adaptors, but don't try to screw BSP fittings into the filters, or the thread will be damaged.

Note also the disclaimer on the filter housing, which shows these units are pretty limited in their filtering ability ...

"Note - Use only with cold, microbiologically safe and adequate disinfected water".

The manufacturer only states the filter abilities as - "For chlorine, taste and odor (sic) reduction".

I also notice there is nothing on the filter itself, in the list of specifications, to say just how precise the filtering ability is. Nothing about micron or percentage or ppm level.
All the filters I purchase need to have the filtering specification listed on the filter or packaging, or I won't buy them.

A lot of these water filters are made in China. The better ones are made in Taiwan.

Watercircle caravan filters

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 595865

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 12:49

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 12:49
I might add that "0.02%" translates to 5 microns - which is pretty coarse for activated carbon - and this shows that low quality activated carbon has been used in these filters.

Good quality activated carbon should filter to 1 micron or less, and remove most coliforms such as e. coli, cryptosporodium, and giardia.
These are the bugs that will make you crook very quickly if you ingest them.

There are often other undesirable constituents in water - pesticides and herbicides, petroleum compounds (from fuel spills), asbestos (many water mains are asbestos-cement, these were a very popular style of water-pipe construction in the 1950's), chlorine, fluoride, salts, and heavy metals.

Out of the last-mentioned, only chlorine, some fluoride, asbestos, pesticide, herbicide and petroleum compounds will be largely removed by low-micron activated carbon filters.
They won't remove dissolved salts or all heavy metals. It takes constant exposure to heavy metals and numerous chemicals to develop health problems.

From another website;

"activated carbon filters will effectively remove sediment, pesticides, petrochemicals, chlorine and its carcinogenic by-products (trihalomethanes). However they will only partially remove fluoride and heavy metals such as copper and lead. Their efficiency at removing contaminants will vary depending upon their micron size (0.5, 1, 5 and 10 microns), how effectively they are activated, and what they are derived from"

Ideally, it pays to use two filters, an initial sediment filter to remove the bigger, coarse particles - and then the activated carbon filter to filter out the bugs, the colour, the chlorine, and improve the taste.

IMO, 5 micron filter isn't a real lot of use. It will get some undesirable constituents out of the water, but not all.
I utilise a 0.5 micron activated carbon filter, along with a 5 micron sediment filter on the house, and the difference in the filtered water quality is very noticeable.

The biggest problem when travelling is the water source in very small towns and out-of-the-way establishments.
Many of these places do not have mains-level water filtration and treatment in place - particularly chlorination. These are the places where water contamination levels can be high.
Faecal contamination of water (from animals and humans) is often high in many outback areas, and it needs chlorination to ensure the coliform content is killed off to acceptable levels.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 864605

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 13:04

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 13:04
Good posts Ron.
In the OKA, we chlorinate all water as we pick it up from anywhere (including the washing water which is separate from our drinking water).
For drinking water we then filter after the pump and just before the taps with a 5um sediment filter (about $10 each) followed by a 1 or 0.5um active carbon/silver filter (about $35 each).
The silver reduces the chances of bugs actually growing in the filter if it is unused for more than a few days. While in use, the chlorine does that job, but it is important to keep the chlorine up because it disappears on its own accord after a while.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 864607

Reply By: humpback - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 14:04

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 14:04
WOW That certainly answered my question thank you very much Ron and Peter for the feed back.
Cheers
Humpback
AnswerID: 595868

Reply By: Adam H - Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 19:40

Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 19:40
Hi guys my mum and dad live on a house boat on the Murray river. They use a unit called a sky-hydrant
www.skyjuice.com.au/skyhydrant.htm
It is amazing takes the dirty river water out filters it and out comes clean drinking water. Needs to be backed washed daily. Which isn't a issue on the river. This unit wouldn't be any good for a caravan/camping but they do also have a portable one. I am looking at the portable one.
I have no association with them just seen how well they work.
AnswerID: 595967

Sponsored Links