Motorhome needed - Suitable (with modification) for pets

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 10:54
ThreadID: 131543 Views:3487 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
My sister-in-law is looking for a motorhome but she needs to take four pedigree Burmese cats with her. Closest was a Mercedes Benz Geist Phantom (see below). A cage would be mounted in the van for the cats when moving/travelling or when she is our shopping or checking out the scenery. No cats loose when driving is paramount.

So far the closest was the Geist with a cage mounted on the couch that is just behind the driver and secured properly to the couch and wall. See floor plan below. However the door is on the wrong side.

Has anyone any ideas? I think that the upper limit is around $90.

Phil

Almost there but rear the door is on the wrong side Closest so far:

Geist for sale at Penrith

Floor plan

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 13:03

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 13:03
Must be something with correct door fitting. Is only so many ways to fit out a box after all.

A look here may helphttp://www.tradervs.com.au/search/type-rvs/subtype-motorhomes/region-nsw

Or a Google search as there are thousands for sale
AnswerID: 595899

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 13:37

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 13:37
We are hoping to get an idea from others who may know a motorhome with a suitable layout to take a cage.

Most tell her to put a cage over the drivers cabin. That's no good as she wouldn't be able to reach it. There are disabling conditions that we need to meet also.

Not all traders and sellers include the floor plan when they advertise their products. And a lot can't even produce one when we call them. We have found several by looking at the photos, but when you drive hundreds of miles to see one and there isn't anywhere suitable to put a propper cage, you feel a little, shall we say, PUT OFF.

One bloke said just to put them in a carry box like on planes and put it on the floor. Ya Gotta be joking. Another long drive to the central coast for nothing.

So we need the floor plans.

Thanks for the link.

Phil
FollowupID: 864660

Reply By: Mikee5 - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 14:48

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 14:48
Also better check the legality of leaving pets in unattended vehicles.
AnswerID: 595901

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 14:59

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 14:59
Thanks Mike. Already noted. Looking at solar cells and more ventilation. Maybe even see if she can supplement the airconditioner to let it keep running.

Phil
FollowupID: 864663

Follow Up By: birdnerd - Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 12:23

Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 12:23
I agree with Mikee5, also safety concerns leaving them in a hot vehicle, it doesn't have to be even hot outside for the vehicle to be too hot inside. What if the air con malfunctioned while cats were in there?? I love cats, have 2 of my own but would be worried. Does she have to take them with her? It would restrict you quite a bit.
Amanda
FollowupID: 864753

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 22:02

Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 22:02
Yes she does.

Why is it any different than for dogs. Surely there are lots of times that you can't take your dog with you. Like in National Parks Yet lots travel with dogs.

All this has nothing to do with what was asked. She just wants ideas on a motorhome. Not how to look after her cats.

Thanks for the post

Phil
FollowupID: 864765

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 11:20

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 11:20
It is not different for dogs.
You are not permitted to go into National Parks with any domestic pet.
The only exception is when a public road passes through a Park and you don't stop.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 864781

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 11:57

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 11:57
Peter

Yes What you say is true. Not my point but please lets get back to the question of ideas for vehicles or brands/models that she should look at.

As I said elsewhere, many miles and much time driving up and down the coast all to no avail.

We are after some ideas on vehicles to take then in. Not how to treat them.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 864782

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 15:36

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 15:36
Phil,
Another aspect needs to be considered - that is how the cats are going to be exercised. Are they always going to be on leads when out of the van? Is there going to be a portable exercise yard?

If the van is always going to be in caravan parks then they will have to be controlled. If they are going to bush camp then the same is true. Cats are naturally good hunters and can do a lot of damage to the wildlife if allowed to roam.

regards

AnswerID: 595903

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 15:51

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 15:51
Alastair.

Cats are different to dogs. They don't need to get out in a yard and chase a ball. They just look at you and say "You want me to chase that!!!" and go back to sleep. They will have the free run of the van at times and also their scratching and climbing gizmo to exercise on. A fully enclosed cat pen will be taken along for when they are outside the van.

Cats don't take too kindly to leads. Some do and one of ours does but the others would eat you if you tried to put a lead on them.

In towns, bush camps and caravan parks are all the same. The cats will never be loose. They will either be in the van or the exercise pen.

The RSPCA is happy with her plans.

They will be under control at ALL times. God lets not start a hate cats thing please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the question.

Phil
FollowupID: 864664

Reply By: Member - Darwin Dave - Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 14:25

Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 14:25
Hi Phil,

How's this for an idea?
Buy a motorhome with a bed that the top lifts up with a hinge.
Cut a hole in the front and make a mesh door. Cats would be under the bed,
you could also install a fan to help circulate the air for them.
There would be no cage to always be in the way.
You could get proper flash and add insulation on the floor with a stainless
or galv tray made up with a plug and drain pipe so you can hose it out.

Regards,
Dave

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595956

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 14:34

Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 14:34
Very constructive Dave. I will pass this on. The cage we had in mind for the Geist was out of the way. But others aren't as flexible. In a perfect world one could win lotto and have a motorhome designed and built. Ah.. . . .

Phil
FollowupID: 864719

Reply By: vk1dx - Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 13:59

Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 13:59
I find this very frustrating. Yes we need to look after the cats properly and responsibly. And I thank those who have mentioned some, but not all of the things to consider. The cats will be fine. We are responsible can do that okay.

What is needed is a motorhome in which they can be happily and safely carried.

So drives to see vans both near and far, using up heaps of fuel, have been fruitless.

Any ideas would be helpful. Not all vans in for sale advertisements include the floor plan.

Phil
AnswerID: 595983

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 08:01

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 08:01
Hey Phil, I know cats very well, particularly Burmese....they'd want to be desexed old timers or that van could be a mad house. Cheers. :-)
FollowupID: 864775

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 22:19

Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 22:19
The whole park/campsite would be a madhouse. Simple cats and dogs don't mix end of story.

FollowupID: 864818

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 12:45

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 12:45
How about one of these Phil?
Just throw a bit of meat in now and then to keep 'em happy.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595994

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 14:03

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 14:03
If you want to travel Australia, carrying a sizeable number of animals with you, you'd better talk to the circus people.

Just my opinion - despite having owned quite a few cats and a number of dogs - I consider owning animals to be a real deterrent to extensive travelling.

Your travelling life would be consumed by animal care and you wouldn't be able to enjoy a lot of the important things to see and do, that take you away from your vehicle/motorhome for more than a few hours at a time.

In that case, I can't see a lot of point in travelling around Australia, if just about all you're doing, is looking after multiple animals.

Then there's the very likely possible scenario of a crash or rollover - something that happens to quite a few travellers.
Until you've been at the scene of a camper/motorhome crash/rollover (as I have, multiple times), it's only then you realise the utter devastation to travellers lives and plans.

Your entire home is destroyed within seconds, and if you're lucky, you're relatively uninjured - then you then have to try and salvage what you can from the wreckage - when you're 1000 or 2000 or 3000 kms from friends, family and your regular base.

I couldn't really imagine what the scenario would be if someone crashed their motorhome containing multiple pets in cages.
Then there's the possibility of animal injuries resulting in them being put down - or escaping into the wild.
All of this would create even greater distress for the owner, on top of losing their regular home.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, just looking at the realities and possibilities of being on the highways a lot, and knowing how high the chances are of crashes and rollovers, particularly when you're on unfamiliar roads.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 595996

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 14:44

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 14:44
Ron
Thanks for the time and trouble but would you please read my last post just two posts back. Se post number 59583.

The question was also about a motorhome and not the car of pets or animals.

Thank you but I would welcome your advice on a motorhome. Maybe a maker/model or floor plan would be helpful.

Phil
FollowupID: 864784

Reply By: Ozi M - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 15:50

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 15:50
Just thinking on this, have you had a look at a toy hauler/basestation type of motor home, it may be possible to do something with the garage area to accommodate the cats.

A door into the garage area accessible from inside may be doable with some makes.

I don't know if it possible but they do have a different floor layout, you may be able to change it to suit you.
AnswerID: 595997

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 16:40

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 16:40
We had similar thoughts about the Geist. It would need quite a bit of "positive" forced ventilation brought from the front of the vehicle, to make sure that it wasn't drawing in any exhaust or muck coming from the rear wheel.

That option is in the pot also. And the added one about using the space under the bed.

Thanks mate. Constructive

Phil
FollowupID: 864785

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 00:16

Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 00:16
Why not redesign one of the seat cavities? Put a cage with door on the front, a 12v fan, line appropriately. Leave the seat being able to be lifted so you can clean it out fairly easily.

Just a thought.
AnswerID: 596002

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 07:22

Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 07:22
That is one option. A cage on the lounge seat right behind the driver. Maybe a bit more than just a fan though. All in the design.

Thanks Scott.
FollowupID: 864792

Sponsored Links