cleaning tank hoses

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 19:46
ThreadID: 131554 Views:2366 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The tank hoses have black gunk in them which keeps clogging strainer.
How can we get rid of this stuff and flush out the hosing.
I know we need to sanitise with mil tons but how do we get rid of the build up in the hoses
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 20:24

Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 20:24
Are you talking about grey water hoses? If so, fill your sink with hot water, put in two table spoons of bicarb soda, stir and release. Do that once a week and bobs your uncle. The hose clogs up because of soap residue that clings and holds onto all the "gunk" you empty down the sink. Don't allow oil, food and grease down there and you solve most of the problem.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 595987

Follow Up By: ozwildlifecarer - Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 21:17

Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 21:17
Sorry I'm talking about in the hoses leading from the fresh water tanks
FollowupID: 864763

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 22:19

Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 22:19
So I gather your fresh water hoses are clear plastic. The reeson for the "Black Gunk" is algal growth which only occurs with exposure to light. The way to stop it is to first get rid of it by adding a bottle or perhaps two of white king chlorine bleach to the water in your tank. Or liquid pool chlorine will do the same job. Need a bit less though, probably only a cup full in your tank. Fill it with water and pump it through the lines then let it rest for an hour then pump it again and repeat until the tank's empty. Once you've done that and the pipes are pristine then you need to cover your clear plastic hose with that black plastic split tube they use for electrical wires.

Or you could just replace all the clear plastic pipes with drinking water grade black poly pipe.
AnswerID: 595989

Follow Up By: Notso - Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 22:20

Saturday, Feb 06, 2016 at 22:20
It goes without saying that you should flush your tanks and pipes very well after the chlorine treatment.
FollowupID: 864770

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 11:37

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 11:37
yes i agree with the clean-out procedure mentioned but to eradicate the problem but stop it returning i would replace the clear plastic hose with proper blue grade water hose available from bunnings or camping /caravan shops as it's the sunlight that is allowing the algae to grow buying black tubing to cover the exsisting tubing is one way but you still have to remove the hose ends and clamps to install the black tubing do yourself a favor you will find in the long run the water will taste better coming through the blue water hose and you wont need black tubing over it and the algae problem shouldn't return
clear plastic pipe is el-cheapo water pipe and shouldn't have been installed in the first place unless it is a very old van you also need to leave your tanks full while in storage as algae needs air and sunlight to allow it to grow maybe your van was built prior to blue pipe been available upgrade is the way to go and you will be happy you did the balls in your court cheers
AnswerID: 595993

Follow Up By: ozwildlifecarer - Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 15:53

Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 15:53
Ok thanks all.
So have put the bleach in tanks.
Have run it through taps and now leaving it to sit for a while.
The thick algae is the same and when we run the wate and bleach through the hoses under van the strainer keeps getting clogged up plus many of the hoses still have lots of this black thick looks like plastic gunk. Some of the smaller water pipes that has the algae in them does not appear to have water flowing thru them. Happy to give ph no if someone can help.
FollowupID: 864807

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 07:06

Monday, Feb 08, 2016 at 07:06
Milton baby bottle cleaner but as others said, you have the wrong tubing to begin with. Sunlight will ensure its return.
AnswerID: 596003

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2016 at 11:25

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2016 at 11:25
About 40 years ago, I worked on a station that had a 30K gallon water tank on a knob about 60-80 feet high, behind the buildings. As the tank didn't have a lid on it, the water often developed a fair bit of algae in it.

The previous manager advised me to use a quantity of Bluestone(copper sulphate) mixed with water, and scatter this over the water in the tank. Day or two later the algae had gone, along with that taste.

Can't remember the exact mix, probably 2-3 cupfulls in a bucket of water. Perhaps if you were to use a tablespoon of bluestone per tank, leave for day or two, then rinse thoroughly, your problem should be solved.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596033

Follow Up By: ozwildlifecarer - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2016 at 15:02

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2016 at 15:02
Thanks Bob and to everyone for their great advise. We took off the large hoses leading into tank and cleaned them out. Smaller hoses still hunky but better with the bleach and letting taps run thru.
Going to Bunnings tomorrow to get some piping to cover what we can for now.

It's amazing. Phoned some caravan repair places for advise before getting onto forum and they Were no help said they had never heard of it before.
FollowupID: 864845

Sponsored Links