Blog Comment: Club 4X4 Insurance - an introduction

What sort of premium loading is charged to increase the recovery amount payable from $1,500 to say $15,000?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 08:27

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 08:27
Morning Baz,

To up your off road recovery coverage to $15,000 will cost an extra $145 in premium. But that's just part of it - best to go through, get a quote and check out our PDS. Or just give us a call and let us guide you through it.

Cheers

AnswerID: 596153

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 09:20

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 09:20
Tried entering my details to obtain a quote.

Couldn't get past entering an address as I was asked to enter my suburb from the 'drop down list' that isn't there.

Also, I tried to enter this as a Blog comment. However the system wouldn't accept my comment without me giving something a star rating. I have no idea what I am expected to rate? The blog layout, the blog content, my comment, the ExplorOz site?

I'm having a computer 'off' day I suppose.

Paul
AnswerID: 596159

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:20

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:20
TOTD: How to post a Blog Discussion vs a Blog Review

When you click the post comment button on a blog you'll notice two options:
Review is the default but you can click the other option if you don't wish to rate the blog and just want to discuss something...

When you choose Discussion the star rating options are removed.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865013

Follow Up By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 19:36

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 19:36
Hi Ups and Downs. We do find sometimes that the system glitches with suburbs. Please do give us a call or send us a contact form to help us identify these issues.

http://www.club4x4.com.au/contact-us/

We are all about feedback and improving our offering so great to see that one come through.
FollowupID: 865158

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 09:24

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 09:24
Before anyone entertains the idea of being covered by this insurance you should know that they do not cover you for contaminated fuel............I made a point of asking one of their reps at a recent show and he was very upfront and said it wasn't covered.
AnswerID: 596160

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 11:50

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 11:50
Do you know of any insurers that would cover that?
FollowupID: 865011

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:25

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:25
Most insurers cover it.

Noting it has to be "contaminated" ie dirt and water not putting the wrong fuel in - eg petrol in a diesel.
FollowupID: 865014

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:27

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:27
Some do some don't, when looking for a quote ask them via email, at least you have it in writing if the answer is in the affirmative, it's not often sited in the insurance document.
FollowupID: 865015

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 14:19

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 14:19
It is an interesting issue and I’ll leave Club 4X4 to speak to its policy.

But more broadly, if contaminated fuel damages a vehicle than it should normally be covered under a comprehensive policy as that is what comprehensive insurance covers – accidental damage. You will most certainly have a right to make a claim, which should be successful, unless it has specifically been excluded in the PDS documentation.

Noting, it is important you keep information on where and when you refuel, and there may be an advantage to using the same brand in case it comes to a dispute.

Most insurance companies do not cover the use of the wrong fuel type if it causes damage, which is a different matter altogether from contaminated fuel.

As always, the PDS document accompanying the certificate of insurance is the “go to” document. If it isn’t excluded, it will be included, that is the way plain English PDS documents are intended to work…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 865020

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 15:54

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 15:54
Well put - unless specifically excluded in the PDS you are covered but may have to argue the point if making a claim.
FollowupID: 865026

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 16:04

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 16:04
Why wouldn't the fuel supplier or their insurer be liable, it often doesn't take long to know if you have contaminated fuel?

FollowupID: 865027

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 16:25

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 16:25
The following clause in the Club 4X4 PDS is worth highlighting, noting it could be relevant to fuel contamination especially if injectors and other components need to be inspected…

I can’t find similar in my current policy documents and not sure how widely it is used by other insurers/underwriters.

Costs of dismantling, diagnosis and reassembly

“If you make a claim, we may require you to authorise the dismantling of your vehicle or to authorise us to dismantle it, so that we can assess your claim and/or decide if it is valid.

We may refuse to assess or pay your claim if you do not agree to this.

If we determine that the claimed loss or damage is not covered, you will be responsible for the costs of the above dismantling as well as any costs associated with it (including but not limited to any diagnosis, reassembly, repair, and/or replacement costs).

If we determine that the claimed loss or damage is covered, we will settle your claim in accordance with the terms and conditions of the policy (including the operation of any excess).”

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 865029

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 16:28

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 16:28
And top Shaker’s point…

Rest assured if you make a successful claim under your insurance cover, your insurer will be making a claim against the Fuel Company or seller of the fuel for compensation of the claim you have made.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 865030

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 18:02

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 18:02
I have taken out one of these policies. Before committing to it I discussed contaminated fuel and mis-fuelling with the rep.

I was specifically told that I was covered for damage caused by contaminated fuel.
I was also specifically told that I was NOT covered for damaged caused by wrong fuel.

Before committing, I read the PDS. There is no specific exclusion for contaminated fuel. Therefore it is covered, as per the advice I received.

The PDS states on Page 19

Other general exclusions
You are not covered for loss, damage or legal liability:
• caused by the use or accidental addition by any person of incorrect
fuel;

which again is as per the advice I received.

Both of these conditions are the same as two other policies from different insurers (AAMI and APIA) for CRD vehicles I have owned.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865031

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 19:21

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 19:21
Well all I can say is the rep I spoke to told me that contaminated fuel damage was not covered, either they need better training or someone is telling porkies, if I was you Frank I would get that in writing so send 'em an email.
FollowupID: 865032

Follow Up By: Kenell - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 19:40

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 19:40
I have posted the position on "contaminated" fuel and insurance before. It is accidental damage and unless there is a specific exclusion all policies I have seen cover it. Not all claims handlers necessarily know this and may try to deny a claim based on the mechanical damage exclusion. This is an education issue for the insurer. Needless to say they see very few claims for this type of damage. If a customer escalates their claim or indeed takes it to the Financial Ombudsman Service it should succeed. Baz seems very well informed and knowledgable on this and is absolutely correct in his summation.
I would not deal with any insurer who has a specific exclusion for this damage. For diesel owners the cost can be astronomical.

Ken
FollowupID: 865033

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 18:29

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 18:29
I know we are only human and therefore not perfect, but gee wizz. Wether covered by insurance its going to wreck your day and maybe your holiday. Suggest if you don't trust yourself or those around you that you get a "Diesel Only" sticker and put it above the fuel filler.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Only-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-Label-Fuel-Door-Label-Turbo-Weatherproof-/281448154390
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596189

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 08:46

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 08:46
Better than a sticker, get one of these. impossible to mis-fuel.

Solo Diesel

Steve
FollowupID: 865065

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 09:23

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 09:23
Out of interest I obtained a quotation from Club 4X4, ensuring it was on a like-for-like basis with the current policy I have with a mainstream underwriter that is arranged by a broker.

The question I often “grapple” with when reviewing the cost of insurance is whether cheaper is better.

For sure, it puts more money in your pocket and if you are willing to shop around at each renewal it might add up to a reasonable sum over time.

The price of the Club 4X4 policy versus my current arrangement is certainly cheaper by a reasonable factor.

Price should only be one factor in taking out a policy and a thorough read of the PDS document should be undertaken to ensure the policy will meet your insurance requirements. All too often I suspect many, but not all, simply assume what they are covered for, rather than confirm via the PDS what they are in fact covered for.

The Club 4X4 PDS has a clause that may give cause for concern to some and I highlighted that earlier in this thread. It is something that may cause additional expense prior to knowing whether the underwriter will pay a claim.

One concern that is worthy of consideration is when policies are designed around a specific target market (4WD for example) are you prone to being exposed to them pulling out of this market segment at sometime in the future due to a high level of claims?

Is it a case of getting what you pay for?

And that isn’t to suggest that the Club 4X4 offering is not a good one.

The question is what risks, which may no be readily be evident, are policy holdings taking in return for a considerable reduction in premium?

Not so much in terms of the defined risk, these are clearly laid out in the PDS, but service levels and the ease of claims processing.

My insurance cover with a mainstream insurer is a comprehensive policy covering me anywhere (and read anywhere) in Australia where I am legally entitled to be. I am covered for the costs of my modifications and accessories, all noted on the policy and including a performance chip, GVM upgrade, non-standard fuel tanks and a rear axle modification.

That should not come as a surprise given most policies are broadly the same in the way they define things. So whilst the Club 4X4 policy is “billed” as a policy for four-wheel drivers, it isn’t especially different from most mainstream underwriters policy offerings.

The Club 4X4 policy does come with the option to purchase cover for remote area recovery due to a breakdown as distinct from an accident or damage, and the policy in its basic form has $1,500 of this cover available.

Whilst appearing attractive, I suspect it won’t have broad application as if truly remote a recovery might be academic at any price depending on the location. If on a gazetted road the policy has the normal tow options covered.

And also, there is some additional coverage for personal effects, which some may find useful. Mind you, many home content policies will cover you for personal effects when “Out and About” in any case.

Without doubt, my own research indicates this is a policy offering that will save you on premiums and worthy of a look for those who are budget conscious, but as always, do your own due diligence on whether it is suitable for your needs.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 596215

Follow Up By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 20:33

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 20:33
Hi Barry,

Glad the team came back to you with a quote and you found our premium to be competitive.

I think i've answered all of the concerns put forward thus far in the thread.

The question mark you portray around premium is a real one. As a customer of an insurance company i always have the same mental battle, but as an enthusiast there are certain things that are more important to me as an individual than price. But then there are other things where price plays a more prevalent part of my prioritisation process.

Ultimately like you have said one needs to weigh up ones priorities and make the decision based on individual circumstances.

What i will say is that as a business, our mission is to be the insurer of choice for 4X4 enthusiasts by removing the "grey" that comes with dealing with a mainstream insurer, providing a product that is valuable to our target customers and having an active involvement in the 4X4 community.

We are in for the long haul. Our product, including premiums and offerings is driven by our target market and you have seen this first hand in the premium you were quoted.

Thanks a lot for your review and the feedback throughout so far.
FollowupID: 865162

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 22:24

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 22:24
Thanks for the response, it is reassuring to see you backing your offering!

And whilst I continue to "grapple" on the price/overall offering it is a positive step to see "enthusiast's" involved in the provision of this type of service.

Adding, dollar's in the hip pocket can be a compelling argument, oops, Mrs Landy is saying what, more cash-in-pocket for that new dress...

Perhaps I'll be back sooner than you think!

Cheers, Baz (Mrs Landy only calls me Barry if she is cross!)
FollowupID: 865174

Reply By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 19:23

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 19:23
Evening all,

Apologies for the late response. Really pleasing to see the questions and the discussion.

One thing I will make very clear is that we do cover contaminated fuel. As others have pointed out, we have an exclusion for the incorrect fuel being added to a vehicle. If it is found that the damage to your vehicle is as a result of contaminated fuel then we will accept a claim and have your vehicle repaired.

Of course your first step is to take your vehicle to a repairer who will diagnose the issue at your own cost. If your repairer says it is as a result of bad fuel you then come to us to lodge a claim. Depending on the circumstances we may ask to have our own repairer take a look.

See this article in plain sight on our website.

http://www.club4x4.com.au/news-update-contaminated-fuel/

AnswerID: 596279

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 20:43

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 20:43
Don't know your name . . .

Any change to the low weight applied for recovery that excludes most large and set-up 4WD's? I believe you would be talking to the "powers to be".

Also is there any change on the recovery only being back to a 2wd road?

Phil
FollowupID: 865164

Follow Up By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 20:46

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 20:46
Hi There,
I did see someone question the issue of weight on another forum. I did ask if that person could direct me to exactly where they saw the limit of 2750kgs so that it could be updated. The limit is 3.5t so i would like to have that changed ASAP.
We are continuing our work on reviewing our offering for the Off-Road Recovery. We are almost there and we are certain it is going to be a positive outcome for all involved.
Stay tuned
Cheers
FollowupID: 865166

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 22:00

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 22:00
Hi Club 4X4

I note that your PDS states that off-road recovery is to the nearest gazetted road (Page 8 of the PDS)

I discussed this with a rep on the phone. Conceivably, it could be a 1km recovery (or less) to a very remote gazetted road. What happens then? I was told that the towing cover would then apply, which is similar to towing cover provided by mainstream insurers.

So if I pay for, say $15,000 remote area recovery, you come out and get me onto a nearby gazetted road which is way out in the sticks, say 500km from the nearest place with the expertise to work on my vehicle, would towing via the gazetted road to that place 500km away be covered by the $15,000 remote recovery option, or would the conventional towing option kick in (reasonable costs of towing to the nearest repairer or safe place) - PDS page 5.

Also, the nearest safe place could be hundreds of km short of the nearest repairer. So what would happen then?

Regards

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865173

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 22:29

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 22:29
I also noted that the roadside assist is limited to sealed roads not just gazetted.

From the PDS, page 13:
"This service is provided 24 hours a day,
7 days a week, 365 days a year, courtesy of our
arrangement with Australia Wide Assist (AWA).
This optional extra is only applicable to roadside
assistance on a sealed road. "

This is why we get a hard copy of any PDS when we take out insurance.

Phil
FollowupID: 865176

Follow Up By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 09:40

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 09:40
Frank.

You're correct in your interpretation of the wording. In fact this issue has been brought to our attention by another customer which has led to a review which we are currently conducting.

We hope to have an outcome in the coming weeks that will improve our already market leading product.

Cheers

FollowupID: 865183

Follow Up By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 09:42

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 09:42
Vk1dx,

Yes you're correct, the roadside assistance product currently on offer will only get out to a sealed road.

Our review will hopefully work towards filling the potential gap there.

What we do know is that most roadside assistance policies out there that are comparable in price to ours will not go on dirt either, and if they say they do it still isn't black and white.

Stay tuned and in the next few weeks we should have a favourable outcome.

Cheers

FollowupID: 865184

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:02

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:02
Yesterday I spent most of the day driving around the well populatedYorke Peninsular in SA, probably half the distance I covered was on "normal" 2wd dirt connector roads, not having roadside assist on roads like this is definitely disappointing not to mention somewhat absurd
FollowupID: 865185

Follow Up By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:08

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:08
Thanks Wicket - lucky you - definitely what we'd rather have been doing yesterday!

Do you have roadside assist with your current insurer that will come out where you were yesterday, no questions asked?

Also, will your current insurer respond if you were bogged on that track and couldn't get yourself out? Yes we have a gap in our off-road recovery, which is different to roadside assist, but if you were stuck, we would still get you out of the bog to allow you to keep going.

if you answered yes regarding the roadside assistance you currently hold, then combining your existing roadside with our off-road recovery will mean no gaps!

Hopefully we can get our offering truly end to end in the coming weeks but in the meantime there are options!
FollowupID: 865186

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:10

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:10
That'w all we wnat. A fair go. Ours ran out and had to be renewed so we couldn't wait.

I had another go at finding that weight. Got up at 4:30. Couldn't sleep wondering about it. But I like the 3.5T. At least that will get some more. A bit low for us as our new GVM is 3.7T.

We shall see how you go, For myself it was too late but I also believe that there is a market for proper off-road and remote area insurance. I don't mind paying for the right product, and no doubt there were would be lots of others.

There are a lot of gazetted yet unsealed dirt roads our there. Interesting conundrum!

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 865187

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:32

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:32
Club4x4
It's good to see an insurance co listening and responding to its potential customers. My renewal isn't due till later on this year and by that time I expect you will have covered all bases 'end to end', so I'll be scrutinizing the PDS and will approach you for a quote.
cheers

ps
will Exploroz members receive a discount ;-)
FollowupID: 865188

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 13:15

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 13:15
Most roadside assist provisions require the vehicle is accessible by 2wd - the road surface is irrelevant.

In reality they will travel on a gravel 2wd road but not on 4wd tracks.

My most recent experience is that I broke down on top of the mountains coming out the west of Bendethra at Snowball.

My vehicle was towed the 2km to the Braidwood/Cooma road - mostly 2wd gravel - no issues with the NRMA coming out from Cooma (70km away) on the dirt to collect me.

So this is the minimum "normal" type of roadside service that you need to provide.
FollowupID: 865189

Follow Up By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 13:19

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 13:19
Thanks Garrycol. Will definitely take into consideration.

Last I remember NRMA Roadservice costs over $200 per annum, but I could be wrong.

In any case, thanks for the feedback.

FollowupID: 865190

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 13:27

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 13:27
Hmmm no - there are different levels of service. Notice I talked about "this is the minimum "normal" type of roadside service that you need to provide" not the max or best.

The service I had costs $96. There is a higher level for more $$$ - less than $200 but I guess that is the one you are thinking of.

My road car is insured with Alliance and adds about $70 to the policy and also covers 2wd gravel still better than your current service.

But as you said, you are reviewing this and that is good.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 865191

Reply By: Club 4x4 Pty Ltd - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 13:30

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 13:30
Gday everyone,

I thought i would share a testimonial from one of our customer's who had to claim on their Off-Road Recovery Cover recently

We are very pleased we were able to help Jeremie and Marie in their time of need, particularly when this sort of product offering is not available ANYWHERE else.

Check out the link below!

http://www.club4x4.com.au/portfolio-item/off-road-recov-marie-jeremie/

AnswerID: 597443

Sponsored Links