Ruby gap gorge

Hi all, I have looked through archives, which are quite old.. Just wanted to know road conditions into Ruby Gap.. Maybe going in off the Plenty Hwy, which there looks like two different ways off this.. Any info, a little more up to date, would be appricated.. Expected travel time is end of August, traveling in a 150 prado, with a bit of lift, not towing anything.. Thanks guys.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:44

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:44
Odog hi, Haven't been in from the Plenty for a few years so will leave that to others, but do not imagine to be difficult.
The track in from Arltunga is quite good to 'Atnarpa' then about 25 klm of steady 4wd track. Nothing that would be classed as "white knuckle". Plenty of creek bed travel & a few rocky sections. Probably best with another vehicle. A trip well worth the effort.
Mike.
AnswerID: 596222

Reply By: GG7777 - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:48

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:48
Odog
Did it 2 years ago in a Nissan Patrol ute with slide-on camper on the back. Was a beautiful spot but a long walk to get right up to the grave site due to river bed eventually becoming uncrossable. I enjoyed the drive in and as per other reply, good drive in half-way? and then slow through creek bed and over rocky sections ( some soft sand ).
It cant have been toooo bad as the "missus" says it was a highlight of a trip including CSR & AB
Murray
AnswerID: 596228

Reply By: Member - ross s - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 16:27

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 16:27
Hi odog. When i was in the area in August 2014 we came around from Arltunga trying to go up to the Plenty. We found Cattlewater Pass was closed ( not sure if it was permanent ) and had to continue on to Pinnacle Road and up. Coming out near Gemtree. Arltunga Tourist Drive as well formed but with sections of bulldust while Pinnacle Road was slightly less maintained. All would be no issue in the Prado. While in the area I would recommend a visit to N'dhala Gorge N.P. A very interesting walk up the gorge reveals hundreds of rock carvings along and just off the track. Good luck.
AnswerID: 596240

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:08

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:08
Cattlewater Pass appears to have been closed for a number of years, and is marked as such on latest Hema maps.

Has been some discussion on this on the forum, but don't recall when or why it's now closed.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865106

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 21:18

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 21:18
We drove in to Arltunga and Ruby Gap from The Plenty Hwy through Cattlewater Pass in 2012.
The slowest part was the last 10 kms or so to Ruby Gap. Nothing serious, just use caution.
Cattlewater Pass is part of the Binns Track which is pretty well promoted by NT Tourism. Unless something was washed out or there was sacred business, I can't see why it would be closed.

Í think it's well worth travelling through that area if you can. Heading from Alice and checking out the history through there (it was the NT's first settlement), over to Boulia, Middleton and beyond is a great drive. Lots of scenery and good camping.

Have fun.
Steve
FollowupID: 865170

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 22:32

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 22:32
Cattlewater Pass was closed in June 2014 when I drove North up Binns Track and in May 2015 when I drove South from the Plenty Highway to Ruby Gap. I believe control of the Cattlewater Pass area has been given to Traditional Owners. At the Plenty Highway end I remember seeing a sign saying Private Property, No Access or something similar.

Signs for Binns Track indicate that the current route follows Pinnacle Road and Arltunga Tourist Drive.
FollowupID: 865177

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:55

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 18:55
Very straight forward 18 months ago, no issues and just a bit windy and slow , little old box at entrance wanted $6 to stay overnight Odog

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596249

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 23:20

Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 at 23:20
Hi Odog

While I read of the closure of Ruby Gap a little while ago (maybe weeks - I can't find the report), it is still showing as closed on the Parks website NT Parks access.

Check with the rangers before making firm plans.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 596264

Reply By: Member - Odog - Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 16:23

Monday, Feb 15, 2016 at 16:23
Thank you all very much, not sure about how we will go time wise, so much to see in that whole area.. Wish we had an extra couple of weeks, don't like to rush things to much. Just means we will need to plan a second trip, I guess.. If we don't make it, at least we will get a taste of the area.. Thanks again.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596273

Sponsored Links