Best family tent

Hi I am new to the forum. I am looking for a tent big enough for 2 adults, 2 teenage boys and an eight year old..we are new to camping so preferably something easy to erect. I had a look at an oztrail 300 twin tourer not sure what else is out there. Any suggestions would be great..thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 13:31

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 13:31
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Default.aspx?s=1&ky=family%20tent

205 results
AnswerID: 596316

Follow Up By: OBJ - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:33

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:33
Scott's response would have to qualify for the most concise yet most informative post I have ever seen on this site. Well done, that man!!!!
OBJ
FollowupID: 865230

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 19:48

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 19:48
OBJ - it was probably better than "use the ..... search function" :-)

Funny, I wonder if the OP has been back here to read the replies..... usually a "thanks for the help guys" lets ppl know the effort hasn't been entirely wasted.
FollowupID: 865345

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 15:03

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 15:03
As posted by Scott above, that link certainly contains some excellent discussions already posted here on that subject which will be useful to you.
One thing I will say is to question whether putting everyone together in 1 tent is ideal for everyone. A you'll read in some of the links, most people (ourselves included) find its better to have 2-3 tents/swags for 5 people. We have a family of 4 - kids are 11 & 15. We have an OzTent RV4 with all the side panels and the Tagalong OzTent which connects to add another room (cheaper than buying 2x OzTents) but keeps a central area for storage etc. We put the 11 yr old into the TagAlong. We put the 15 yr old in a Boab double dome swag which she loves! We also setup a gazebo. This is for static camping however. When active camping - moving daily its 3x swags (plus ground sheets) and we usually still bring along the OzTent for backup (or a sense of luxury!)
Good luck. As others have said before, every family is different and the choice is yours.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596320

Follow Up By: OBJ - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:34

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:34
X 2 for the Oztent and its attachments.

OBJ
FollowupID: 865231

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 21:20

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 21:20
Its always good to separate yourselves from the teenagers - give them their own tent and they can look after it :-)
AnswerID: 596338

Reply By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 00:12

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 00:12
I am.looking at Darche AT6 pump up tent.Easy peasy to put up ,strong pvc floor ,plenty of ventilation includes ceiling vent stops condensation at night 2 rooms plus awning just google it. Good luck with your choice.

AnswerID: 596346

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:51

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:51
Hi Stephen,
How do they stand up to high winds..... I would think it would blow over..... It makes no mention of it in the details on the website....

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865236

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:02

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:02
Hi Andy I have read other peoples experiences and they said no problem in high winds..I suppose many tents would struggle in high winds I have the centre pole tent at moment and it takes beating in high wind .scary sometimes but thats the fun of camping.My dad had army tent no floor and in Mt.Gambier had heatwave and then heavy storm after and our tent had a small river run through it..cheers
FollowupID: 865238

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 00:58

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 00:58
I have been looking at the Darche for our family of 4 for a while. I like the ease of set-up (but the pump needs a more secure way of holding the hose and pressure gauge on), the roof vent is great (but doesn't have any mesh covering it when the vent is open - allowing mozzies / sandflys etc in), I wonder how long the roof poles (look like 2 pool noodles) will stay secured with Velcro long term??These are things I picked up from setting it up in the shop...
I do like the options for entering the front room, and the fact that it would be suitable for either 2 or 4 people.... Maybe a Darche, and a smaller tent???
FollowupID: 865313

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:26

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:26
Drew good stuff .I never seen one in person.interesting no mesh on vent supose could make one up.The pump not sound great and the strength of velcro ..All to ponder now.I just sold my Centre pole tent so have to think what to buy now..cheers
FollowupID: 865327

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 23:37

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 23:37
Hi Drew new Darche AT4 and AT6 have mesh in new models in ceiling ..cheers
FollowupID: 865397

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:22

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:22
Thanks Stephen, that is good news that Darche have rectified that oversight - they obviously saw it as an issue too... I think they have the potential to be a fantastic tent, and with a 12v air pump would be even better! I do like the options for entering the front room (either side, or end), the fact the fly is permanently attached, and the large front awning...

I have a large (3mx3m) canvas touring tent that has served me well for the past 10 or so years, but the addition of 2 kids have made it too small.

It was last November / December that I put one up in a shop, and they said they werent selling many of them at all, so if you do decide to purchase one it would be worth pulling it out of the bag before you hand the cash over to ensure it does have the mesh in the ceiling!!
FollowupID: 865424

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2016 at 13:46

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2016 at 13:46
Just got info from Darche the newest models were made in July 2015 and they changed to betterr pump and welded seams on floor and new ridge pole for more support in middle part of tent.So now to find a good price..I found AT4 for $759 on ebay but still waiting to see if new model..I like the AT6 but we will be doing a lot of moving so big enough and if longer stay setup a couple tarps ...I just like the fact no poles to carry except 3 and it will fit neatly in ute tub.I had a great tent Outdoor Connection great ventilation centre pole tent quick to put up like a couple minutes ..but folds up1mx 1m so awkward shape 9k for roofrack but thatd another pain lifting it up ...I just saw tge Oztrail Quick setup tents copy of Black Wolf but cheaper buy half but not sure if stand up to harsh weather ..but looks a good tent cheers
FollowupID: 865432

Reply By: oz doc - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:46

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:46
Hi tracey, another reason to consider two smaller tents is that some campsites can be a bit irregular or sqeezie for one large tent. We have a tent by 'outdoor connection' . It was cheap by comparison, fabulously well designed (including the bag it comes in), and has survived numerous trips of various conditions. When choosing your tent consider also what size they are when packed as this may affect your ability to transport it along with your other camping gear. There is one brand i know of that folds down into a long cigar shape which lends itself to being carried on a roof rack rather than in the boot of a car. Happy camping.
AnswerID: 596352

Follow Up By: ian.g - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 16:10

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 16:10
I think the one you're talking about here won't fit in the tub of a twin cab ute either. Too long.
FollowupID: 865261

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:30

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:30
I just sold my OC Cooper tent sad to see it go but wanted a longer bag style tent to fit in back of ute.I like the Oztent but hassle putting up on roofrack and expensive..good design simple so now on hunt for decent tent ...
FollowupID: 865328

Reply By: Hoyks - Saturday, Feb 20, 2016 at 13:08

Saturday, Feb 20, 2016 at 13:08
2 tents are better than 1 for a number of reasons.

Easier to put up/ pull down; the kids can do their own, rather than Dad getting stuck with doing everything (.... yes, I was that Dad)

Easier to fit in the vehicle; you can pack the tents around stuff, rather than having to pack everything around the 1 big tent bag. They are also lighter to move to and from the vehicle. I have a 6 man tent, it is a 2 man lift and is in a bag about the size and weight of a punching bag. It doesn't get out much.

Easier to arrange the camp to fit the site. Not all camp sites will fit a big tent and have the vehicle near by, you have more ability to rearrange things with a smaller tent. If the teenage kids don't want to come/have a better offer and you have the 8 year-old along, then leave 1 tent at home.

Separation from the kids; they can chat and giggle 1/2 the night, while you can get some sleep.

Redundancy; Not having all your eggs in 1 basket so to speak, if 1 tent gets damaged, then you can all pile into the other one, or canabilise bits to make 1 serviceable.

Easier to sell if camping isn't for you; not many want a 2nd hand 8 man tent, but 3 or 4 man tents are easier to move on.

I have a roof top tent (a whole new discussion topic, lets not go there), an awning to cook under and swags for the kids.
AnswerID: 596413

Reply By: Nicole G - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 10:50

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 10:50
Hi Tracey, we have a similar family. 15 girl, 13 and 10 boys. We bought a Blackwolf 300 Turbo Plus years ago which has been a fantastic tent and served us well. We are now looking at selling the Blackwolfe (if I can tear myself away from it) and replacing with an Oztent 4 or 5 and a couple of swags (like Michelle said). The Blackwolfe is not a huge tent, but the older kids need their own space now. I would not have believed it if you had told me I would be doing this years. Another thing is have a look at other people's set ups. I have seen people with the Oztrail Gazebos and a couple of smaller dome tents sent up around the gazebo. This is a cheaper option and if it's not right for you then you haven't spent a heap of money. Enjoy the research, it's fun!! Nicole
AnswerID: 596427

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 18:33

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 18:33
I agree with those who have suggested separate tents. Kids grow up, don't want to go with you or want to go camping with friends or school. Having a smaller tent that they are familiar with is a handy thing to have. I also agree with a central gazebo setup, I use a Coleman instant up shade/screen thingy with awnings on every side. Keeps the bugs out. Not everyone enjoys camping so no use buying the Taj Mahal on spec. I see plenty of kids in those instant pop up tents while the parents are in a better quality setup. The pop ups are light and literally go up in 10 seconds.
AnswerID: 596449

Sponsored Links