Flinders ranges

Could anyone who has visited the Flinders Ranges in May please advise of their experiences (good or bad) as we are planning to go there next month for a couple of weeks.
Camping grounds, access to attractions, weather etc etc.
We will be caravanning with friends so powered sites are preferred.
Many thanks,
Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 17:19

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 17:19
Runs for hundreds of km's and offers many attractions.

A vague question gets vague answers.

AnswerID: 596789

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 18:00

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 18:00
Went twice last year - 1st time May - 2nd Sept. May cold Sept very hot. Wilpenna Pound good for what you want. To get the best go the off-road tracks.

Agree. What are you looking for?

AnswerID: 596790

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 18:02

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 18:02
We've always done the Flinders from Early August to end of September. The 3rd week of September onwards are horrific for flies.

I'm guessing March will still be quiet warm during the day, fingers crossed, current seasons flies are dead.
AnswerID: 596791

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 18:58

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 18:58
If you have a 4WD there is lots to do and explore in and outside of the national park. If you are restricted to bitumen travel only you will not see all this place has to offer. BTW a couple of weeks is only enough to scratch the surface.

For caravans and powered sites you have Hawker, Rawnsley Park Station and Wilpena Pound all of which offer different opportunities to explore and learn more. But are also the base for some quite good tour operators with 4WD.

I recommend you simply Google Flinders Ranges and take the time to have a good look at all that search will provide then do your planning from that

Rob
AnswerID: 596793

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 19:14

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 19:14
Hi Simon

The Flinders is a fantastic place to visit. In May you will have nice warm days and getting cold at night, perfect time for a great campfire.

We always prefer Wilpena, for us it has a nicer feel. It's great to see you have allowed 2 weeks, and even them you will not see it all. I would advise to book your powered site sooner rather than later. Another tip is to collect your campfire wood before to get into the National Park, as wood is dear if you intend to buy it at Wilpena.

There are many great walks in Wilpena if you are into walking. As for drives, there are dozens of great places to see, so plan what you want to see and do in advance. There are also a number a paid true four wheel drive tracks to do on stations in the area.

Have a ball in a fantastic location.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596795

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 06:46

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 06:46
"what he said",

And spend a few dollars on the Ron and Viv Moon book, The Flinders Ranges; An Adventurer's Guide. These books are updated regularly, and are as comprehensive a guide as you'll get.

We did Skytrek years ago (2005), and it was a great experience. The walk from the Pound to St Marys peak and back will keep you honest as well.

Have a good trip, Simon.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 865769

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 21:40

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 21:40
You don't mention whether you have a 4WD ...camping...caravan etc.
Some more info would get you better response.
However...if you do have the above...check out Willow Springs and Skytrek.
I did the old Skytrek the last year it was open...and cant vouch for the new one...but reports state it is still a ripper one to do. Plus the owners of Willow Springs (and Skytrek) are real friendly country people...which makes for a pleasant stay there.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596801

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 23:31

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 23:31
We went in late April Simon, and the days were quite hot. May should be good. We spent a couple of weeks driving through and saw only a fraction of what we could have. But we didn't have the time because it was just "taking the scenice route" home to the west from Tasmania.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 596807

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 14:35

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 14:35
Ditto to much of the above - it's most likely you will crack those perfect blue sunlit skies and brisk nights* up in the Flinders in May. As a rough guide, you could start around Wilpena week one and progress to Arkaroola week two (about a half day drive north). The ancient geology is so astounding up there (not just to look at, but to appreciate how it was all formed all those gazillions of years back) that guide info which covers those aspects would be good to have on hand.

My BLOG here on the fossils and rocks I visited will bore most, but could be of interest to some :-)...
[ http://www.exploroz.com/Members/14712.250/4/2012/Flinders_Ranges__Fossils.aspx?s=darian ]

As for places to go and see......just about too numerous......best thing would be research prior....brochures and maps downloaded from the Nat Parks SA site are good (for Flinders Ranges NP and Gammon Ranges NP....plus any guide books, as mentioned above. We have used the RAA book by Stuart Nicol quite a lot.....
[ http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/8751457?q&versionId=10123781 ]
But there are others of course............

*Talking about brisk - it is a chilly place when the sky is clear in winter.... I've been there in June / July and we were cracking ice off damp camping gear in the morning. As Stephen says, bring some firewood in with you if possible !
AnswerID: 596829

Sponsored Links