Anne Beadell and the Canning - a couple of questions

Hi folks

Preparation is complete for this year's travels (western NSW - Big Red Bash - western Qld - Gulf - FNQ) so now giving some thought to plans for next year.

Intention is to make the Anne Beadell and the Canning the focus in 2017 - have reviewed various trek notes and will do the necessary detailed planning and vehicle prep well in advance. We'll have companions with whom we've done numerous outback routes in recent years (Simpson, Gulf, Googs, Cape, Kimberley etc), but have a few specific questions on which we'd appreciate input.

The plan is to meet in Coober Pedy and travel west to Leonora with our campers, then leave the campers and travel the Canning with tents, south to north, looping back on the bitumen to collect our gear.

Questions arising:
>> Is east to west a preferable option for the Anne Beadell, and are campers (in our case an AOR Eclipse) manageable on that track?
>> Is south to north a sensible option for the Canning?
>> Can anyone recommend a location in the Laverton/Leonora/Wiluna area for secure storage of high-value campers (or should we head for Geraldton?)
>> Anyone think we've got this wrong way around, and instead should meet at (say) Kununurra and travel both the Canning and AB in the opposite direction?

Just early thinking at this stage - we're on the road each year May to September inclusive, so those months in 2017 are slated for the above trip.

Any thoughts welcome - thanks
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 07:39

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 07:39
H i would suggest the canning from North to south. this mean you will not have the sun in your cab most of the day.
AnswerID: 596812

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 07:59

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 07:59
Firstly I agree with Peter in the previous post. I also recommend north to south.

You could also check the Outback Spirit group's schedule, so that you can plan to travel between their tour dates to miss their crowd. I think that is the mob who take groups down the CSR.

A bloke who planned to come with me was going to leave his van in Alice, then drive the CSR and loop back to Alice to pick up his van. Unfortunately he didn't make even the CSR.

If you do your own mechanical work; Get someone independent to check the car over and not just assume that you did a good job yourself and didn't miss anything.

I was leader for a small group with three members cars as "DIY mechanics" owned. Not one of them even got past Stretch Lagoon near Billiluna. Bugger that and not leading any more trip. Even the best engineer will get someone to check his work.

An excellent guide: Canning - Outback Travellers Guide

Phil
AnswerID: 596813

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 08:59

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 08:59
What was the problems with the vehicles , sometimes it's good to know these things , we can then check our own .
FollowupID: 865771

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:45

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:45
Two damaged brake lines and a failed (stuffed) alternator.

One brake lining broke before Finke on the Oodnadatta Track (ie highway) and the other broke on the Tanami. Both had come loose from the chassis and rubbed a hole in themselves. A simple thing for a mechanic to find in a pre- trek check.

The failed alternator was on about a 20+ year old ute and should have been replaced years ago. Especially on a car that goes to remote unsupported places. It took a whole week to get a replacement alternator delivered to Halls Creek. And then the owner decided not to go down the CSR!!!

We went on our own. A much better idea. Never to lead again!!!

Phil

PS Sorry for the slow answer.
FollowupID: 865778

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 16:54

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 16:54
Thanks for the tips; and I know what you mean about un-prepared vehicles (or drivers) - always pays to get a quality third party check. We had a companion a couple of years ago whose camper pretty much fell to bits - and he managed to combine inexperience with selective deafness!!
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865787

Follow Up By: LandCoaster - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:24

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:24
Remember that excursion from 4WD TV where most of Simon's aftermarket and accessories sponsers got together and did a week or so out and about...

A lot of those vehicles failed one way or the other. They only showed a few of the fails.

Pack some welding rods, think outside the square and you'll get thru

FollowupID: 865876

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 10:47

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 10:47
We did the Anne Beadel with two Tvan's and a Vista, track was overgrown in many sections and all vans and cars suffered bush pin stripping, if your not prepared to get some damage to campers and cars then the Anne Beadel is not for you. Anything bigger than these vans will receive more damage.

Is a wonderful drive, take your time and enjoy the scenery, we travelled late June July last year, it had rained and the wild flowers were out and just about all plants were flowering.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596820

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 16:58

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 16:58
Thanks for that - pinstriping more a badge of honour than a problem with our vehicle!!
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865788

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:46

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:46
I met people towing a Quantum last August on the Anne Beadell, the sides & windows were pretty well trashed, in fact the owner said he would have it resprayed when he got home. I left our Quantum at home thankfully, & took the Tvan, it went through completely unscathed, but did chop out a set of lower shock absorber bushes just before Emu, compressed heater hose sufficed until I got home!
Heading East to West the track starts off bad & gets progressively worse until you get to the WA border, from that point it steadily improves.

FollowupID: 865796

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 20:12

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 20:12
I would totally avoid the section of ABH from Coober Pedy to Emu, instead going via Kingoonya ( last fuel - diesel only), Tarcoola, following the railway line to Watson, then a day and 2 nights at Maralinga, another day up to Emu then West.

Not only will the closed in track scratch your vehicles, but it means you can't get up any speed over the ruts. Never ending 30kmph REALLY bad ruts will drive you crazy, even if you don't break something serious.

It just isn't worth doing that section period. Especially when the alternative is a beautiful, pleasant drive that takes in some great, interesting places.
FollowupID: 865802

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 23:17

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 23:17
I didn't get any scratches on the ABH, I guess most people want to do the Anne Beadell, not just part of it!
FollowupID: 865811

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 17:26

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 17:26
The Anne Beadell is equally good in either direction. Leigh's comments are accurate. In September 2015 I noticed a recently abandoned Jayco camper alongside the track.

The Canning is good in both directions. Like Peter and Phil I also prefer North to South. The sun is always behind so the scenery is more colourful.

At Wiluna campers can be left at Gunbarrel Laager Traveller's Rest (08 9981 7164). This is out of town, the owners live on site and storage should be safe.

At Kununurra campers can be left on a mango plantation at Zebra Rock Gallery (08 9168 1114). This also is out of town and the owners live on site. Stored campers and caravans are parked between rows of mango trees so get a fair bit of shade during the day. In 2014 I stored my camper trailer here for 6 weeks while I drove the Canning in both directions.

John
AnswerID: 596833

Reply By: Yunderup Fox n Wifey - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:40

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:40
G'day Wild max,
for secure storage in Leonora you could try Matt from PMCC. Mob: 0417 976 169

He has a large secure storage yard. Mention Charlie from Yunderup.

good luck
Ole yunderup fox n Wifey.
Overdrawn at the memory bank?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596840

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 00:44

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 00:44
While not answering your question directly - there is a wealth of CSR info at CSR

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 596882

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:56

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:56
Yes, thanks Phil; will certainly draw heavily on that and other reliable sources when we are into detailed planning; at this stage just discussing with out travel companions some of the broader logistics such as direction, storage, timing and so on.
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865895

Reply By: andoland - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 10:47

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 10:47
There's no reason I can think of why not to go east-west along the Anne Beadell Hwy. In terms of your camper, I don't know any specifics about your model, but the track is not difficult at all, just corrugated.

CSR - I would actually recommend going south to north as the the southern part is less interesting (in my view) than the north, in that up to about well 5 you're on station tracks and the dunes don't really start until around well 9/10. We went south to north and we felt that the experience got better the further we went for these reasons.

AnswerID: 596957

Sponsored Links