Battery Box Arkpak 15DA

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 13:55
ThreadID: 131732 Views:4400 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi wondering if ok to charge the battery thats in the Arkpak box using cig plug that I have in back of ute.Retailers say yes no problem but I have heard it could melt the cables that are wired from engine bay batteries ???
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:16

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:16
might be best to ask them direct......http://www.arkcorp.com.au/
AnswerID: 596911

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 16:37

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 16:37
Yes good idea thanks.As ebay sellers have no idea.I ask a question and never give an answer.One seller when I asked about a canvas weight in gsm they told me what the colour was...others too never answer the questions gets frustrating.You think they would want to give you all the info so as to make a sale but nut....Lucky to get reply some sellers never reply ...
FollowupID: 865901

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 22:26

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 22:26
I had the 6amp 12v charger for hte arkpak in my ute for a while.
Pitiful.

After the second one died (the board in it) wasn't going to spend another $99 on another, I just got dual core HD wiring in with an isolator off the main, and never looked back, it is superb and no need to muck about . . .

Eg. I would run the fridge off the car plug in the back while driving, then in camp swap to arkpak, next morn, swap back to car for driving the day, and charge the arkpak with the 12v charger whilst touring (this would take about 4hrs to top off the 100amp/hr after running the fridge and led strip at night).

The pity of my new setup is the inbuilt smart charger isn't getting utilised at all, might as well have a battery box with a couple of 12v ciggy outlets.
I just whack a desulphating charger on the car and ark batteries once every couple of months to keep them conditioned.
AnswerID: 596936

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 13:39

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 13:39
Thanks PKR saved me 200bucks. so I may as well just get batttery box to store and clamp down. I also have solar panel 100watt so can charge it when stopped.So it be no problem just using cig plug at the back of my ute to charge from alternator? I got my 39l Engel in cab and will run of Cig plugs and my aux battery .And if I stay put for bit longer than a day will take outside in cooler place and use the battery in back of ute . Not sure what size battery I will buy maybe 105ah reasonable prices compared to 120/130ah .Wanna be safe with my wife and son 3 batteries should do the trick...Never know as heard even new batteries can fail...cheers
FollowupID: 865944

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 14:17

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 14:17
Stephen, no worries but you might need to double check how the 2nd battery needs to be set up.
The way I described is set out below, doesn't charge from ciggy plug to battery, but via car alternator via a decent wiring setup.

I just searched Arkpak 15DA, just the see what you're talking about, almost all arkpak power stations are similar, but thought I'd better check what you're looking at getting.
But nothing came up from the search except this ExplorOz thread (????).

Cost for what I've done now is about what an arkpak costs, my Arkpak was about $395 (obviously the battery you choose, agm best for such use, is on top either way).

Isolator $100
HD dual core wire, about $12 / metre, mine runs to the inside cab behind drivers seat
HD blade fuse / holders x 2, power block for inside cab to plug fridge / other charging / power into, anderson plug connection to hook straight into arkpak, many battery boxes might have this type of power in too, pro'ly all up another $150

Now if you go this way, the alternator regulates the charge, all good.

If you want to set up solar, you'll need a controller like a ctek d250s between the panel and the battery, you can have this ctek unit regulate charge from alternator and solar panel, so a nice way to set up, but there are also other things on the market that I am probably not as familiar with that would do the same or maybe better job.

I have a 100w folding blanket type solar, but it has its own built in controller to ensure the charge going into the battery is safe if camping 2 or 3 days etc.
FollowupID: 865947

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 13:45

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 13:45
Hi PKR seems my post not come up..Fill you in what I have already have.When bought car had Redarc dual battery setup with isolater , 2 cig plugs in back of tub. I just bought 2 new batteries Aux 105ah Allrounder and 810cca cranking bat.. Accidentally won ebay 100watt solar blanket canvas one folds up small.I just for fun put in bid and won.Has controller seperate from panel.So my thought was to make safe as possible for my family have a third battery Deep Cycle in back of tub.The Arkpak looked like good idea but 200 bucks .So my question is can plug in 3rd battery to cig plug and charge while driving.And off course can charge when stationary with Solar .Panel.Need just to get normal battery box to hold battery secure in back .Hope that makes sense .Thanks
FollowupID: 865999

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 14:22

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 14:22
Stephen,

I bought one of these boxes for the trip Les & I did across the Rig Road last Oct. Seems a bit dear @ $99, but it's set up with a couple of outlets, circuit breaker and the volt meter is really handy, just press the button, and reading comes up straight away.

For the trip, I used this as my 2nd battery, set up in the tray and running 2 fridges, and a light or two at night. Never got down below 12.3-12.4V. I made up a seperate power box that had 2 Merit sockets for the fridges, plus fuse box internally, that had suitable cables off the battery.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866003

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 14:31

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 14:31
Thanks Bob Y didnt know Jaycar sell the boxes.Have to check it out and also see if they got a 12v adapter for my camera battery chargers, havent seen one anywhere yet.I have inverter but many say chewsbattery power quickly ..What was rig road like I used to work out there in 80s , like to go back Ok to do solo ...
FollowupID: 866004

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 14:49

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 14:49
Stephen, in reply to your reply to my reply above. :)

You don't really need a third battery / extra batt box.
I take it your 2nd battery is setup in the engine bay ?

You say you have ciggy plugs in the tub, and you want to use these for charging another battery / battery box ??
No need, if they are running off the 2nd battery now with isolation from main when stopes, just plug your fridge into one of the ciggy plugs and away you go.

If the tub plugs are running from the main, just swap the power from the main to the 2nd isolated battery.

Great you have solar panel and controller, you can connect the ones up his the controller to either battery as required, usually the 2nd battery tuning the fridge / lights, but if cold or camping a week maybe every so often throw it on the main to keep it good.

If I have it all wrong I'm reading your post above badly on my phone.
Maybe you want 3 batteries for some reason, but using the ark pak 12v doc chatger (6amps) ist the best way to do that, too slow, and you need to be touring daily or suffer with lots of trouble keeping them topped.
Running off the car system, a 3rd battery would be charged in 1/4 the time, just a little drive daily would do it, or run the vehicle for a half hour or so (if the solar needed a hand).
100w solar isn't a great deal, ok if sunny days.
FollowupID: 866006

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 15:03

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 15:03
Yeah, they also sell a no-frills one, much cheaper. Have a look at Didital Camera Warehouse, they might have what you're looking for too.

Rig Road was magic! Was my first crossing, about 4th or 5th for Les? Had been graded earlier in the year, in as far as Poolowanna 1 oil well, from Birdsville Track/Warburton Crossing. Bit rougher after the well.

Re what I was talking about previously, below is only photo I can find of my "desert set-up". Camped near Walkandi 2 well turnoff. Battery box is up the front, half hidden by the Engel, with power box above, mounted(with zippy ties, of course) on head board. Made up a wire mount for the flouro light, gives a good spread there, and above head height.

Also had one of HKB Electronics booster diodes fitted, as was unsure of new Landcruiser's charging abilities. Battery was up over 13v whenever we stopped, dropping back to high 12's a bit later.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866007

Sponsored Links