Doing your Homework.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:09
ThreadID: 131734 Views:2547 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This post is a conclusion to Hankook tyre size warning post 131657.

I felt that the issues raised warranted a new post rather they just add an "I Won" to the original post.

Its taken 2 weeks of dogged persistence for the manufacturer to accept what I thought was an open/shut case.

Apparently no one has raised this issue before !

My issue was that I thought I was buying some 816mm diameter tyres which the catalogue said were size 285/70/17.

The tyre supplier (not the manufacturer ), said -> You got the 285/70/17 you wanted, so go away.

The manufacturer said -> there's a clause in the back of the catalogue saying specs can change without notice so go away.

Getting tyres for our cars isn't just buying a product, you are also buying a service "Fitting & Balancing" so responsibility for things being right is on two parties, and no one wants to accept the costs.

Its probably unheard of for a tyre dealer to check a tyres diameter, weight or anything other than the "285/70/75" bit before fitting.

Nevertheless a products published specs are its description and if wrong then section 56 (supply of goods by description) is breached and justifies a valid complaint and eventual adjudication.

This includes things you might not think of like if you buy a copy of "Great Desert Tracks" on special and when you get it , it is not the latest edition then this is a valid complaint unless you were either informed or it was reasonable to infer that it was out of date.

Anyway , I don't know the politics behind why the manufacturer decided to replace my now definitely used tyres, after several rejections.
The local product manager understood the issue clearly,but had limited power and the issue was not so clear to the Korean head office.

I went down the path of getting all the facts right, not getting upset at anyone, not making threats, being persistent, and finally cutting out all the spurious issues and focussing on the simple fact that the current catalogue had wrong data in it and that because of this alone Vic consumer affairs would support me.

Thanks to all concerned , and the car feels better with the smaller but right sized road tyres on it !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Rob K (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:42

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:42
Well done Robin.

The only comment I would make since your retirement is that within the customer service industry you will now be diagnosed as suffering from TMT syndrome - Too Much Time. LOL

Cheers

Rob K
AnswerID: 596912

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 20:26

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 20:26
I think your right Rob , but to much time is very useful , how much would you pay for my study of camera car statistics in Templeton rd.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865917

Follow Up By: Rob K (VIC) - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 12:26

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 12:26
Robin,

Thanks for the offer of valuable data on the Templeton St camera - would come in useful if I travelled that way from home. Will keep it in mind if I change my travel route.

Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 865942

Reply By: MarkHugh - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 17:39

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 17:39
Good. Not enough people push (reasonably) for what is right.

Mark
AnswerID: 596920

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 10:46

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 10:46
Its not an simple as it seems , is it Mark.

You may have a good case , but when a retailer just doesn't want to know - well its tricky.

You have to jump over hurdles to take the matter further , and those hurdles can be enough to make you give up !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865939

Sponsored Links