Quintrex 370 Explorer for Camper topper

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 19:58
ThreadID: 131738 Views:7901 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking about a car topper and have decided on a 370 Explorer, not the cartopper but the 370 as it comes, there's very little difference in weight, height, length and width.
I have owned 3 tinnie's, Stacer Riviera, Proline and a Savage Jabaru, I understand the differences in choices to be made to weight, length, width, Height and am also experienced in top end fishing to some degree.

I have a Pioneer prospector camper with an original boat side loader. Im wondering if there are many/any members out there who have a 370 explorer over a 370 car topper or simply an Explorer 370.

I am a river fisherman and sometimes go outside considering the weather. I have considered others as some of you might own but costing in Melbourne makes the Quintrex more desirable.

I have just purchased a 20hp Honda 4 stroke and weight for the camper is covered.

This is just generally putting it out there to see what feedback I get before I go ahead and purchase the 370. I simply cant find one cheap enough online in Vic as they all come with some style of motor, As mentioned Ive had 3 boats before and had too many issues to consider going 2nd hand on a motor, certainly not where I go.

Feel free to add any input, I certainly understand there are many boat choices to be made and most of them are sufficient enough for the job. but for those of you who have or have had one im interested in your feedback.

Regards

Dave

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sparra - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 20:36

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 20:36
G'day Dave, I have a Quintrex explorer 370, with a 15hp Yammie, a ripper little boat. It handles the very often choppy water around here surprisingly well, I mainly use it in the inshore waters around Useless Loop and Carrarang station ,and I will be using it in the Kimberley,Top End,Gulf and Cape York regions over the next few years as I will be a permanent nomad from April 19th.

I mostly carry it on my Kimberley Kamper which has a Kimberley boat loader but also it can go on the top of my aluminium canopy.
The Explorer is also a very stable boat to fish out of.

Cheers,
Sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596929

Follow Up By: Member - Ned - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 23:35

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 23:35
Thanks Sparra,

Was up there last May and had a great time, loved the place, on my bucket list to do a big stay in a coupla years. Nice setup ya got there, appreciate the pic and feedback. Its exactly what I was hopin for as far as offshore, it blew up a bit on my stay but I feel the 370 would have done ok close to shore, and even better in the opposite bay outa the wind.

If I get mine to sit as good as that I'll be wrapped.

Cheers
FollowupID: 865929

Reply By: Bob R4 - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 20:55

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 20:55
Hi Ned,

I've not owned an Explorer, but notice the 370 is rated for 20hp, but the car-topper is rated for 15hp.
As you have a boat loader on your C/T, the car-topper design feature is not required, and the handrails on the E370 would lift the boat a little on the boat loader, allowing some extra storage under it.
A well set up outfit will have a good resale value later.
My gut feel is the explorer would be a better fishing option.

Cheers, Bob
AnswerID: 596930

Follow Up By: Member - Ned - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 23:54

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 23:54
Thaks Bob,

Good point, I was thinking about the handrails but not a major concern, front should be fine but side may need modification, Ill look at the options once its placed on top and set for length. Storage is a greater option but the Pioneer floors are rated at 100kg, thinking about a motor mount but will exceed it by about 30kg, mods could be done or resealing after big trips, bla bla bla etc etc.

Your input is appreciated

Cheers!
FollowupID: 865930

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 08:06

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 08:06
Wide and heavy. Ours had a 15 Honda. Never needed all the power because it slammed so hard. It is a 2 person job wherever you go which is ok if you have them. I've gone back to a 40k.g. Finn spindrift and a tohatsu 9.8 which eats chop better being a cat but is marginally slower, but the rig is literally less than half the weight of a 370 and a 68 k.g. Honda. We had good times in the quinny but it went no further offshore or better than the smaller Finn so we ditched it.
Edit: We had 370 Traveller
Edit Edit: How good is it having and EDIT FUNCTION! Thankyou!!!!
Edit Edit Edit ;) If you want to head offshore properly have a hard look at something like an ocean craft 2.6 or 3.4m car topper. Spear fishermen punch those things through surf and head offshore in them and they are still the same weight as the quinny you are looking at. No to mention the inherent safety in them and a deep v hull for spinal care. Couple of extra $ but a whole lot more options.
http://www.oceancraft.com.au/coracle3.htm
AnswerID: 596947

Follow Up By: Member - Ned - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 14:27

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 14:27
Things have changed over the years, I wouldnt have bought a traveller for my style of travelling, nor the Oceancraft. Not bagging either of them out but each boat has its main purpose and they are not built to my needs, the Traveller I could live with..

Mind you id love to take one for a spin with a 20hp on it.

FYI,
Honda 15 hp are no longer 68kg.

Cheers

FollowupID: 865948

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:33

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:33
the 'listed dry weight' of my 1998 15 was 42.5 k.g. - I still have the manual.
Put yours on the scales with a prop, oils, grease etc and you'll get a surprise too.

Yes, every car topper is a compromise - buy the compromise which suits your usage best.
FollowupID: 865956

Follow Up By: Member - Ned - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 16:07

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 16:07
Yep understand your point , the wet weight including everything now is 54kg, 20kg for me 34kg for the Mrs. Actually 20.3kg for me, gotta hold the can with the other hand.
FollowupID: 865960

Reply By: Mikee5 - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 13:33

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 13:33
I have the 370 car topper with the optional full length rails running a 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha. I don't find it slams much (as was claimed here) even solo. I put the esky and other weight towards the bow and trim the motor in - normal safe boating. I am very happy with the set up, offshore at Karumba when the winds get up, no problems. The rails are great, worth the extra cost and don't interfere with loading onto the roof.
AnswerID: 596967

Follow Up By: Member - Ned - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:20

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:20
Seriously dont know why they had the 2, the differences are very minimal, 20mm in depth and length (roughly) but a higher Hp rating. 50 mm in width, 80kg vs 78kg, yep slightly different hull with solid corners but 2kg of welding in corners why bother making the 2 types.

Full length rails Ive been thinking about, Always hear of that 8ft croc but never the 8ft 6 inch ones ha ha.

Would make it easier to tie off on a river, slide around to launch, mount things too, storage on camper, etc.

Sounds like you know your boating re sharing load and motor trim, and I will point out that yep all boats slam.

Cheers Mikee5
FollowupID: 865953

Reply By: Sidetracked - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 14:32

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 14:32
We have a 3.7 Sea-Jay nomad with 15Hp yamaha (has done 42klms per hour on Lake Awonga) and very stable out on Morton bay. Just another option.
AnswerID: 596969

Follow Up By: Member - Ned - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:52

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:52
Nice rig sidetracked,and thanks

The Nomad is another good boat I did consider

cheers
FollowupID: 865959

Sponsored Links