Camper Insurance

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 23:38
ThreadID: 131739 Views:3305 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I got a "cheap" quote for my Kimberley Kamper from Youi, so I am wondering if anyone has insured with them and what their claims experience was. I don't plan to have an insurance claim, but that is what insurance is for!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desray (WA - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 02:58

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 02:58
ring RAC
AnswerID: 596941

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 07:20

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 07:20
I've yet to hear anything good about any claims from the cheapy TV based insurers. Favorite 'non pay' reason seems to be that you set the unit up to be stolen.

For me, they are not worth the risk and I'm with NRMA
AnswerID: 596944

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 08:43

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 08:43
Mal, we had a bad year in 2015 with Crime. Our house was burgled in January, a smash grab destroying the front door and cleaning us out of those items that were highly disposable (glasses, video, camera, Play Station, jewellery etc). The good wife had just insured with Coles insurance after years of never having had a claim and paying a small fortune each year with other companies. Understandably I was a bit nervous when we went to claim but my fears were soon allayed. Coles were great. Most of the assessing is outsourced so you are dealing with a locally based assessor. Claim was expedited quickly and fully. Repair services contracted by Coles were excellent and easy to deal with.

Follow this up with our YOUI experience in December with Theft of Landcruiser ute (see the next post response) and I couldn't be happier with both companies and would be happy to recommend them to anyone based on our experiences.

Sometimes anecdotal experience isn't all that it's cracked up to be. You hear a story from someone who heard it from someone else etc. Unless you're real close to the event and have first hand experience of it, then what is passed on is just that...a story. I've 'heard' plenty of horror stories about reputable firms as well but unless I'm only one place removed from the person who had the experience, I have to weigh the veracity of the story accordingly.

A good place to go is the review pages that the insurance companies have. The YOUI wall is a good one. They don't seem to censor it so you get good and bad but by and large, the majority of the feedback appears positive.

P.S. The biggest mistake we found was being under-insured, particularly around jewellery and electricals. Our mistake and thank god the expensive stuff was still on her fingers at the time of the crime. The house is now like Fort Knox with alarms, locks and camera's lol.

Here's hoping neither you or any other forumites have to put an insurance company to the test.

Safe travels

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865936

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 07:43

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 07:43
Phil, our sons much loved Landcruiser ute was stolen the week before Xmas. We had insured it with Youi who were great. My first claim with any insurance company re a vehicle and they couldn't have been more helpful. Settled the claim quickly and the assessors were very approachable. Negotiated the payout figure with them that was mutually acceptable and re-insured the young blokes new vehicle with them immediately on the strength of their customer service.

As an aside, have you thought about fitting a tracking device to your new camper?

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596945

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 07:49

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 07:49
P.S. Young bloke's ute is still out there somewhere.

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865933

Follow Up By: Dough Boy - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 17:41

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 17:41
Gday Mick
Very interested to know more about Tracking devices on Campers ??
FollowupID: 866278

Reply By: oz doc - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 09:28

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 09:28
Hi phil we changed all of our insurance to youi 12 months ago. Sadly we've had to make two claims with them. Both times their service has been excellent. Second claim the fault was disputed - not by the other driver whom repeatedly accepted his illegal manouver caused the accident, but by his insurance company. Youi assigned a case manager, said dont worry you wont have to pay anything, we'll sort it. Got the car repaired at our chosen repairer. All good. Previously we were with gio whom were also excellent but just got too dear.
By the way, free roadside assist comes with our youi insurance now.
AnswerID: 596950

Reply By: eaglefree - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 13:48

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 13:48
I'm with CIL now, see my recent thread.

A short story. In 1991 I owned a VW Golf diesel. Purchased it for $3500. My wife, toddler and I had a head on accident in Broadford Vic. Other drivers fault. I was insured with RACV. So I thought.

The next day I attended RACV Northland, they gave me the bad news...I hadn't renewed our insurance 8 months earlier. Looking back, I'd renewed my membership but not the insurance. I was devastated.

The next day I got a call from RACV. They had 1/ towed my car to Headquarters in Noble Park 2/ valued the write off VW at $5500 3/ Would fully represent me with full comprehensive insurance as if I'd renewed it 4/ Told me a cheque was in the mail for $5150.....and kindly asked me if I didn't mind that the $350 balance was paid to them for towing the car to Noble Park from Kilmore and insurance monies that I should have paid.

Needless to say I'm now a gold member. Most of our insurance is with RACV and the van CIL.
AnswerID: 596968

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:30

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:30
Apparently with car insurance most of the business is done by two large groups. Most of the brands you see are just resellers.

As an aside, we've found it worthwhile in terms of savings and hassle reduction to go through a broker for as much as we can. If they see a premium start to climb they'll offer to get other quotes. They don't handle my motorbike policy though and there I've saved a bundle by getting new quotes at renewal time. It seems a good many policy renewals are accepted by the consumer on a tick and flick basis.
AnswerID: 596974

Reply By: Rangiephil - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:54

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:54
I too have good things to say about Youi.
I have had 2 cars with them for over 3 years.
I have had one write off and $8500 on the other both no fault, and they have been great , quick with assessment and payment and the payout on the write off enable me to buy another similar car.

I unfortunately had an at fault back into car ain a carpark last year. I paid the $750 excess and they handled the rest.
This year my policy was basically the same price as before.
However I am surprised that you have a cheap quote from them for your camper trailer.
I am with alliance with my Campomatic as Youi were twice the premium.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 596976

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 04:59

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 04:59
I am glad that Youi is getting a good rap. I have both my car and van insured with them.

I notified them when I shifted from Gracemere to Morven and my ute insurance went up $75.00 and my van insurance went down $69.00 because of the location.

I put this down to you have more chance of hitting wild life (who aren't insured) out here with vehicles, and not as many people want to steal your van.

And like many others I hope I never have to use them.

Cheers

AnswerID: 597050

Reply By: Member - Dave63 - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 22:11

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 22:11
Hi Phil,

I swapped a number of insurances to Youi a couple of years ago except the camper due to them dancing around off road issues. I left this with NRMA. The policies were definitely cheaper with Youi and NRMA is 100% dearer.

Youi record and store every conversation so details can be checked. This came up when I questioned my policy on the landcruiser. I actually transferred most of my policies to Youi based on the cost and guarantee that I will get a replacement vehicle for 2 years or 40 thousand klms , WHICH EVER CAME LAST. I questioned this a number of times and even said that I only do about 10 k a year in the landcruiser as it is only used for trips. I explained this and that will take 4 years roughly and that they agreed new for old, even if it took me 4 years.

When I got my renewal it had turned back to being just market value. I questioned this and found out that they had already taken the money out of my account for the renewal as that is there policy to take the money first. They also told me that because of this I had renewed my policy so "to bad so sad" situation even though this had occurred prior to the renewal date. So the policy had been renewed as a market value only.

To their credit, they found the call and agreed that I had been given bad advice and should never been given, but then said now that you have bought it to our attention the deals off and your are back to Market Value. When I questioned why I cant have agreed value they argued that market value on a landcruiser with 17,000 klms would get me a higher return than any agreed value policy. (this I doubt) Then they danced around off road use again so I paid double the premium and went back to NRMA.

Getting my premium back for a renewal that I did not agree too took a bit of work. They only eventually agreed to my refund as the original advice (recorded conversation) was wrong but I still had to argue hard and that has turned me off them. . However the house is still covered by them but I am moving everything away from them

I have never had a claim with them so can't comment on that.

They have definitely put a cat amongst the pigeons with pricing and how risk is reduced before deciding price, ie do you have a tree above 7 metres tall within 5 metres of your house (including your neighbours yard).

As their conversations are recorded I tried to tie them to a definition of off road use and they were very wishy washy and said if I was off road and if I did not exceed the intended purpose of the manufacturer I would be covered, if I went outside the manufacturers recommended use they would think about declining the claim. they then said, as long as I don't drive off a cliff I would be covered. Not many people plan on that do they but it happens.

I think it comes back to not just who has had claims but who has had off road claims paid. ie sunk a car on a beach/river crossing/rolled a car on a track etc. That is the info that I would like to hear about and I have nothing good or bad in that regard with Youi.

Dave

AnswerID: 597083

Reply By: Dough Boy - Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 17:34

Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 17:34
Can I suggest caution with Youi
I had my 76 Cruiser & Camper trailer with them
Offered a good product and a "Cheap Price" . 12 months later and renewal time and the price has gone up by $550 per annum and they wont budge . In fact spoke to me as if I was a fool with so many reasons why the increase
Via another forum I have discovered that this would be the M/O of Youi .
I have now insured camper with CIL and they were very easy to do business with

Cheers
DB
AnswerID: 597221

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 16:11

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 16:11
Interesting comment. I read this thread yesterday and as my caravan insurance is due for renewal I decided to give Youi a try. I went on line and was surprised when the on line session lead to an immediate phone call from them. The consultant had a bit of an accent which made him a bit hard to understand, but we got by. He seemed to consider himself a bit of a comedian as he kept making comments and laughing at them. He proved himself to be a comedian when he gave me a quote $950 or 282% higher that the cost of renewal through my current insurer.

From Youi TV ads I think that they only give good rates to people who hardly ever use their vehicles. When I told him that we use our van 8 to 10 times a year and do at least one long trip I went into their high risk category, despite the fact that in 58 years of driving I am virtually accident free.

The Youi slogan of "We get you" might mean more that at first seems the case. They certainly didn't get me.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866269

Sponsored Links