drop down drawers

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 16:27
ThreadID: 13178 Views:2168 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I am building a camper trailer and wanting to solve the problem of lowering the height of the kitchen drawer from its position when closed in the trailer, to a more comfotable/usable height when it is extended out from the trailer. I thought I saw this style of "drop down drawer" in a camper trailer on display at one of the recent shows.
I have searched the forum here and looked through my file of brochures etc. and can't find any reference to one at all. Has anyone seen anything like this?
When the drawer is pulled out from the trailer to its full extent it trips a hinge which allows the drawer to extend further out and down. This system obviously does not use a standard type "H'a'fele drawer runner" which requires that the runners are fixed to the drawer at a number of places along each side of the length of the drawer.
I will appreciate your comments, all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:21

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:21
I had a girlfriend with "drop down drawers" once....but she put new elastic in them and solved the problem.....hahahahaha
AnswerID: 60263

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:40

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:40
Hmmm...... does this reply qualify as irrelevant?

There is an old saying 'people in glass houses ... shoudn't throw stones'
FollowupID: 321822

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 18:03

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 18:03
Who are you Shaker and what are you referring to?

Irrelevant yes just an amusing take on the heading. Does this bother you...if so, stiff.........
FollowupID: 321827

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 23:02

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 23:02
I was referring to PostID: 13129 ........ C.R.A.P
FollowupID: 321913

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 23:24

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 23:24
And in that post I was referring to endless volumes of jokes, newspaper reports, and reams of other nonsense. If you read the post again I mention that Banter is not a worry and that is exactly what I posted this evening. So if it worries you then all I can say is...tough. And if you think that there is a double standard there then so what...it is only your interpretation of the statement made.

Goodnight.
FollowupID: 321919

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:49

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:49
Murray,
There was one I saw on the back of a trayback ute once. It was used for a fridge and the way it worked was that there was a VERY solid steel post bolted to the trayback, just behind the cab. The post was the pivot and support for a shelf that used another piece of pipe, same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the one bolted to the tray. There was (I think) a heavy duty spring set up to take the weight of the fridge and as you rotated the fridge/shelf out to the side of the tray, it was able to gently drop down a foot or so to allow the inside to be reached. I think it's been advertised in a magazine at some stage....not the mechanism, but the trayback camper set-up that it belongs to.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 60273

Reply By: Member - Murray C (VIC) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:41

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:41
Willem, I left myself wide open for that one.
Roachie, was that the Heaslip ute back/camper you saw?
AnswerID: 60306

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 21:14

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 21:14
Can't remember Murray,
I think it was on a Ford F250???
Cheers,

FollowupID: 321864

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 10:46

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 10:46
Yeah as said it wouldn't be hard to make a 'swing and drop' , but a slide and drop, dont know about that, because you want the kitchen to stay level etc..
Brain Flash - how about using something similar to the runner channel and bearings from a panel lift door.. The kitchen is attached with a hinge to the last 'panel' so as it rolls out the panels drop away from supporting it and the kitchen pivots on the hinge to be adjusted to a level position with a support leg at the outer edge.. Not to hard to make but i don't know if it would give enough drop for you.. Thats it, brain empty now......
AnswerID: 60404

Follow Up By: Member - Murray C (VIC) - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 14:52

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 14:52
Thanks Bradley, I'm not having much luck tracking down this beast that I have seen at a show, and have turned my thoughts to trying to solve the mechanics of a solution so that I might be able to get it fabricated.
Agreed that bearing rollers in a channel would seem to be a starting point and I like your idea of pinching the concept of the panel lift door or something similar.
The "outer edge" ie. drawer front, would need to be supported by legs of a suitable height to give the desired working height of the benchtop.
I've got the sniff of a concept, more work to do.
Regards, Murray
FollowupID: 322021

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 16:27

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 16:27
Yeah the panels could drop out of the channel out of the trailer and be out of the way, yet all be supporting the kitchen when it is retracted. Yeah adjustable legs on the outer edge to level her up , and a turn buckle to secure and 'lock' down the outer edge when stowed. Got me thinking about this more myself now...

cheers mate, Brad
FollowupID: 322041

Sponsored Links