Sat Phones

Submitted: Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:00
ThreadID: 131800 Views:3528 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
This a follow up to the PLB thread below, where Sat Phones were discussed.

I note that there is a link to reconditioned phones which I have looked at. Older threads state that there is a sat phone that uses the Telstra Casual Pre Paid plan ($10) and mention that a SMS message can be sent instead of a voice call.

Apparently the Globalstar reconditioned phones can't send an SMS.

Does anyone have up to date info on a sat phone that can use the Telstra sim and send an SMS?

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:50

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:50
Hi

Any Iridium sat phone (except old 9500 apparently) e.g. 9555.

Note this is not really an update - just a repeat of information provided many times before.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 597237

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:01

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:01
Or a 9505 or 9505A but NOT a 9500. Sim must be a POST paid with international roaming enabled
Also be aware that people on other providers may or may not be able to send you an SMS Eg Optus or Vodafail.
I tried it when I had my satfone and my Son who was on Vodafone at the time tried and failed to send me an SMS on my 9505A
Despite the big long thread recently it has not been proved that a PREPAID sim will work at all on the Telstra Iridium network
Did you read this
http://www.satphonesales.com.au/Which-Satellite-Network-and-Plan?zenid=eb86f0825519d534d84e1cb6e506c8ea
AnswerID: 597238

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:19

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:19
Can anyone tell me why the 9500 is not a preferred model?

The vendor selling one maintains he was using it last month, so it in his eyes it still works.

Thanks

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866293

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 23:33

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 23:33
9500 can't text.
It's a pretty old model now.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866337

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 10:06

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 10:06
Hi

What do you mean by "preferred model"? Nobody said they (9500) didn't "work". Tom just states that they dont have capacity to send SMS.

They are probably getting a little long in the tooth but assume they still work OK for calls. They have however been superceded by 3 or 4 newer Iridium models since their introduction, so probably cheapest option but difficult to see how they could be classified by anyone as "preferred" (especially considering they appear to lack some functions (such as SMS)).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 597274

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 18:14

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 18:14
It will be "His" preferred model because he wants to sell it preferably to someone who doesnt know the difference between an old one and a better newer one. DONT BUY IT

Thats correct The 9500 doesnt have SMS function Some can receive a text but not send one Some cant do either. Depends on the firmware version. DONT BUY a 9500
The batteries are not interchangeable between the 9505 and the 9505A nor are some of the accessories as they changed the connectors on them.
As per herehttp://www.highspeedsat.com/motorola-9505a.htm
My advice is to buy the latest one you can afford as the batteries are expensive and the older the phone the closer to death are the batteries A genuine one is well over $200. Start thinking about a 9505A or 9555.
AnswerID: 597287

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 19:05

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 19:05
I am a little confused.

Appreciate that the more costly phones are going to be more reliable, but I am only taking one as I am going to travel off the beaten track.

My problem is I can't test it or handle it either. Buying it blind from Gumtree.

Vendor says it handles SMS, incoming calls are free (or billed back to the caller), so it really has the more important features. A replacement battery is $95, which in the scheme of things is not too bad.

Hmmmmm

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597289

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 21:29

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 21:29
I would never buy something like that if I couldnt test it first. I would also be very careful you dont get scammed on Gumtree. Lot of it goes on. You pay, nothing turns up
If you are talking about the 9500 IT DOESNT DO TEXTS regardless of what the seller says.
Did you read the link i posted and the same comments by other posters They are correct.
As for calls If you are going to use a Telstra Postpaid sim out of a cellular phone as I and others have done Calls will cost you $4 a minute BOTH WAYS IN and OUT.
That is using it on the Telstra Iridium network.
I think with an account on Pivotel or some other provider Calls are cheaper and the caller pays when ringing you but NOT on the above.
You are getting priorities mixed up here You say you are wanting it to go off the beaten track yet you are happy to buy the cheapest, oldest available.
I had a 9505A because my life and my family lives are worth a bit more than the cheapest thing around A genuine battery for a 9500 or a 9505A is $145 on Ebay . Several 9505A , for $495 which isnt bad I paid over $1000 when I bought mine and got my money back 2 years later
I would much sooner pay an extra $100 or so on Ebay and have some assurance with Ebays Money back guarantee and know I will get the thing than a maybe scammer with absolutely no come backs on Gumtree. Have already reported a scammer on there to the police for fake SD cards
Here is the one I would buy
9505A
Or this one Has a new battery2nd 9505A
You really need a car charger as well and they are about $49 on Ebay.
FollowupID: 866334

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 15:33

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 15:33
Thanks for all the advice and comments.
I have seen the light and will not be getting the 9500 from Gumtree!

I have found another solution, which essentially pairs with your Smartphone giving texts, location points and a tracking map. Its listed on Sat Phones at a competitive price and a Google search gives lots of info.

Sounds good. Called iReach 2-way Satellite Communicator. It used the Iridium satellite. Costs are comparable to a Satellite Phone plan.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866389

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 15:45

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 15:45
Bill

I did a blog on what we do for communications on our Satphone - take a read if you have a moment, it may work for you...

Satphones - Don't get hung-up on costs

Good luck whichever way you go, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 866391

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 18:17

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 18:17
Your decision but for that money you could buy a 9505A and Get the $10 a month plan or just use your sim out of your cell phone and actually talk on it as well as send texts. Breadcrumbs will only be good till you get the bill for looking at them.
The Landy's idea may work for him but if you are just using it for occasional use it would be expensive.
When I had mine I just put my normal Cellular sim (On a plan and roamed) on it when out of range of cell service. However it is expensive to call at $4 a minute and also that rate if someone calls you as Telstra charge you a "diversion to satellite" rate. Our family knew not to call us unless a dire emergency.
For Two years use it cost me a total of $8 for two short calls. SMS are a lot cheaper so may work for you. If you go on the $10 casual plan calls are cheaper. It is NOT a prepaid however,
Look through Satphones
FollowupID: 866397

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 20:47

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 20:47
Hi Tom

For sure it may not work for all, but what I was highlighting is that for a nominal daily cost, less than the cost of a can of VB, I get to communicate on my sat phone almost limitlessly. Mind you I have a need to remain in communication with others.

Is that expensive?

A benefit of using any piece of equipment regularly, whether it s a winch on the front of the vehicle or sat phone hidden away in the glovebox is that you know it will work when you need it most. The old adage, out of sight, out of mind comes to the fore...

The question is whether a can of VB a day, or the cost of a litre of fuel a day expensive? Because that is what it costs me for virtually unlimited use of my satphone.

And I'm not trying to convince all and sundry that this is the way to go, but simply put the 'cost' of an invaluable communication device into perspective.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

FollowupID: 866401

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:12

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:12
Baz

All good advice but I think the point of the cheaper option, using your analogy, is that you are not paying for a can of VB that you, more often than not, don't get to drink :)

It all adds up. Cheapest option works for me (and others) at moment - will change when circumstances change.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866402

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:36

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:36
Hi Greg

Sticking with the beer analogy!

I guess your comment of not paying for a can of VB that you don't get to drink is true to some extent, on the other hand having outlaid the cost of a device that you (generally) don't use, although acknowledging it does serve a purpose, is a bit like paying for a few cartons of VB that you only look at while sitting around the camp fire... ;)

For sure, I've always highlighted it isn't for all, but offered as food for thought...

Now, where is that can of VB,

Cheers, Baz...
FollowupID: 866403

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:57
"is a bit like paying for a few cartons of VB that you only look at while sitting around the camp fire... ;)"

Not really - I can use it ("take a VB") anytime I like - I am not obliged to sit and look. There is no restriction on use on the cheaper plans. I am just not paying for beer I am not drinking, you are. Simple.

The "cans" are however more expensive on the cheaper plans so need to pick the best option for your personal circumstance (have I said this before:). Applies to many things not just sat phones, so these days, its almost common sense.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866405

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 22:25

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 22:25
What you havent grasped Landy is that you seem to be travelling extensively and others arent.

Yours will get a lot more use than theirs and so the cost per unit is less.

Not all of us "Have" to have access to others all the time and in fact may prefer not to,
We certainly didnt.

You are paying several hundred a year just to have it plus calls. When I got mine I paid nearly $1k for it and required it for emergency calls ONLY, for a period of an extended trip around the country,

Then I sold it for what I paid for it. So Cost was ZERO

Usage cost was $8 for one test call and one other one when I was late to book in at a motel when I had forgotten the little time zone out on the Nullabor.

Thats ALL I bought it for. For the few times I was out of Cellular coverage and "May" get into strife

So cost to me for 2 years "Use" was $8 or 5 Cans of XXXX.

Your method suits you but not me and mine cost a damn sight less than yours.

Others may have a different usage pattern to both of us and so can work out for themselves which is best.

I wasnt interested in how much a day it cost me to have it because I knew at the end it wouldnt cost me anything and it didnt in the end.
FollowupID: 866409

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 06:36

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 06:36
As with many things in this forum, there is not necessarily a right or wrong answer, but hopefully a contribution of thoughts and ideas that others can read, review and ponder on...

So can I simply suggest that one wears the cap that fits best...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

As a footnote: I can only wish I was travelling extensively!
FollowupID: 866413

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 20:54

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 20:54
Just to stir the pot a bit more; I have found this alternative Sat Phone.

In Reach

inReach Details

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597355

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 22:08

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 22:08
Still cant talk on it a Spot may be as good and cheaper.

Ive said all I have to say.

You started off wanting to buy a cheap Satfone nad now are onto something else entirely.

WIll leave you to it.
FollowupID: 866406

Sponsored Links