Hema Users

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 10:10
ThreadID: 131815 Views:3178 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning.

Has anyone that uses the Hema HN6 or HN7 upgraded to the 150K map for $50 and is the upgrade worth it.

The more detail that is in a map, the better it is, so would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:12

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:12
Stephen,

I have looked into that 150K map too. If it was a genuine 150k version of the Hema maps it could be interesting.

Just going by the small section of map around Mt Buller on Hema's 150K webpage, it looks like it may be just a rejigged version of the otherwise free 250K Australia wide set of maps. The reality is that the scale has no real meaning in digital maps, and I think some maps are labeled as 150K or 200K to make them look different to the traditional 250K maps so they can be sold at a price.

It would be interesting to see if it has different data in a few screen shots, but it looks suspiciously like the 250K map I got with Memory Map for free.

AnswerID: 597308

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:26

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:26
Hi Boobook

Like all maps that we use, no one seems to have been upgrading them based on the previous 2008 Natmap series.

Seeing that it was released in December 2015, and claims to be a genuine 150k, it should in theory be more detailed than the Natmap 250K or both the Hema on EPTOPO 200K maps currently available, as well as being us to date, which in some cases is not so.

A very good example of detailed maps for SA, is the series of maps produced for the CFS at the scale of 50K.

I use both of these in my HN7 and they are that good, I usually run them at only 50%, otherwise at 100% there is just too much close detail.

In the grand scale $50 is not much if the maps are up to date and at the true scale. Another thing that leads me to believe they must be good, is that it is a 2gb download, and not just MB compared to some map series.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866347

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 16:28

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 16:28
Hi Boobook

Well it go the better of me, I just spent the $50, so here is what you get....

I will use the same area where I live, that way it will show you just how the 3 maps compare.

Next is the Hema 150K seamless.....

And last to compare is the EOTOPO.............

So when you compare an area, the 150 infact should have been zoomed in a lot closer, yet in fact I get more map coverage with it.

So this is the local CFS Map at 50K and only 50% on the map scale.

So at the end of the day, I believe that the new Hema 150 map, is not a true 150K when compared the greater detail on the CFS 50K map and the other 2 Maps.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866356

Follow Up By: Member - WBS - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 19:55

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 19:55
If you are comparing a 50k map to 150k map for detail then you are always going to be disappointed. I've been looking at the product on the Hema Cloud as I haven't got a HN5,6 or 7 . I rate it pretty highly and would buy it in an instant if it were available for the iPad app. I reckon it's the most comprehensive map of all of Australia going around.

As I understand it, the product is still a work in progress and the plan eventually is to go down to 1:18k scale. Have a look at the Hema web site.

My humble opinion only.

WBS
FollowupID: 866362

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 07:45

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 07:45
Stephen, to me the 250K, Hema 150K and EOtopo 200 look like the same basic map source data in those 3 pics. They all seem to contain the similar data but Hema seems to have put a lot of work into the map.

The Hema verson is definitely clearer and better visually that the othes.

On the basis of that small sample The Hema one does look worthwhile.

FollowupID: 866378

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 08:03

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 08:03
Hi Boobook,

The new Hema 150K defines main roads, secondary roads and tracks very clearly, and definitely has correct and updated roads and tracks in the exact position.

If you would like another sample of another area from else where in Australia, please let me know and can let you compare it for yourself.

As I first said, $50 is not a lot to pay for a good map that is accurate and up to date.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866380

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 09:43

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 09:43
Thanks Stephen. I am sure if you have checked it out then it is right. I like it. It presents well and would be easy to read in sunlight with those contrasting colours. If it's up to date that is great.

I think I will get it too. Thanks for being the "bunny"
FollowupID: 866383

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 18:16

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 18:16
Stephen,

Excellent. One thing I was just looking at was the EOTopo has distance markers on all roads whereas all others shown did not. I guess this is not a massive thing but it is certainly something we put a lot of effort into getting on the map correctly. As for the colours of the roads, we could adjust ours if the users wanted this adjustment, in this respect we can do anything and have adopted red single colour as it was what the 250 products used to have. We are very happy to receive feedback on this in preparation of the next release. I also note on the 150 that there is no apparent hill shading added to the elevation data which is present in EOTopo and does come with a file size increase. All great food for thought.

We are always interested in comments on maps and our EOTopo products as we are very close to releasing a new IOS & Android app which will include EOTopo in on and offline modes, with all places, treks and tracking. As with our online maps this app will be supporting the vector style rendering of different data at different levels and will support multiple online map sources with the offline EOTopo when you are outback. This is not a dream and as you know we are reluctant to pre discuss products however this is getting very close!

Good thread
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866458

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:10

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:10
Stephen,
I downloaded it about a week ago for my HN6.
I have not yet been anywhere yet to have a good look at it as yet.

I am going for a trip next week, from Morven out to Innamincka, then on down the Strzelecki Track and onto Lake Eyre. (weather & roads permitting)

Whilst traveling I will compare it against other maps on the Ipad to see what is different.

As yet, I have not been able to run it on my computer as it installs it straight to your Hema device.

Sorry not much help to you.

Cheers

AnswerID: 597321

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 20:42

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 20:42
Hi Blue

Over the years, I have supplied both David here on EO and Hema, track files that need to be updated.

I can 100% confirm that Hema have carried out a number of major updates that reflect in this new 150K map.

One very good example is a drive I did 4 years ago up through Daggali Conservation Park, north of Renmark. Many sections of the moving map showed that we in fact driving off road using the Natmap series of maps, when in fact we were travelling on well formed and used roads. Hema now show the drive that we did as the correct and main route.

It is a dead easy process to get the map onto your computer, so you can see in on a lot bigger screen. When you installed the HN6 to your computer, It would have created a complete new folder and set of folders containing everything that was on your HN6. In this way, it gives you a back up copy in the event that something happens or your micro SD card gets corrupted.

Using a SD card adopter to take the micro sd card, remove the card from the Navigator. Put it in your computer, and the card will be shown as another storage device. When you open the file, there will be 5 main folders there, and the one that you want to open will be the folder called " OziExplorer Maps " When you open this folder, there will be a number of sub folders and the one that you are looking for will be called " Hema Aus Seamless Maps.

When you open this folder look for your newly installed " Hema Explorer 150k Map, and the file size will be 2,164,151 kb. Copy this file into your Hema Maps file on your computer and then you will access on your home computer.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866368

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 19:49

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 19:49
The 1:250,000 etc Auslig(???) maps are raster scans.
All the HEMA maps I have seen are vector maps.
Very big difference when you start zooming in and out....I will pay more for vector maps every time.
Raster Vs Vector

With maps, the most noticeable difference is that with raster scans, the place names (for instance) get bigger as you enlarge the map and smaller when you reduce it. With raster the names stay the same size at all zoom levels.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 597326

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 08:03

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 08:03
Peter, I'm not sure if your post came out the way you intended.

The Auslig ( GA) 250K topo is available in a number of commercial or personal formats including Raster ( like the one Stephen is referring to) and vector based formats such as ERSI shapefile etc. It is frequently used as raster ( eg 4wding) or vector mapping ( car navigation) by end users. It is the primary source of many mapping products we see in the various formats.

Almost all Hema maps on the other hand are raster maps. I haven't personally seen a Hema vector map other than ones they resell as turn by turn navigation in some of their stand alone devices.

Raster maps are essentially picture files that are goreferenced. Most people prefer these for off road 4wding as they do show detail that is not available in vector maps and can be identical to the paper versions making it easy to go between paper and computer based navigation.
Vector maps are great for turn by turn directions but for end users don't show the detail required for landscape based navigating. These are generally incomplete in remote areas for consumer level products though.

Raster maps change size of the text with zoom levels, and always have the same detail. Vector maps on the other hand keep text size consistent but change the detail level that is displayed.

When vector maps are used for 4wding, tracks are usually not shown at large scale and they become useless in most cases. Either you have to zoom in so close that you can't get the big picture, or zoom out so much that the tracks are omitted.
FollowupID: 866379

Sponsored Links