Giles Weather station.

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 15:18
ThreadID: 131819 Views:2052 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone.

Can anybody tell me if you can still get a tour of the Giles weather station and witness the launching of the weather ballon. We plan to be in the area early May 2016
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:04

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:04
Hi Ray,

If you click on the underlined words Giles Weather Station yo will be taken to the EO "Places" page for Giles where full information is provided.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597320

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:18

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:18
The short answer is you cannot do the same tour and watch the preparation and launching Ray. You can watch the launch from the carpark. The shorter tour is now later on. This was due to a reduction of staff on site, and the mooted closing of the tour. The shorter tour now takes place at 11 am South Australian time.

The information on the hyperlink in Places appears to pertain to the old tours, but I can give a link to current times by private message.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 597322

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:52

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:52
Thanks MH. I had a lurking feeling that the info in "Places" was not quite correct.
As you are well informed on this, how about editing the information in the Places page?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866360

Reply By: Member - Ray Dool - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:59

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:59
Thank you everyone who responded. Any additional information would be greatfully recieved. it our first trip into Central Aust.
AnswerID: 597324

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:02

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:02
We visited the Giles Weather Station in May last year. The museum at the station is well worth a visit. It contains excellent memorabilia associated with Len Beadell. However, there were no tours available. The balloon launch is to say the least a considerable anticlimax. If you are not careful you will miss it as there is little warning. Overall go there and enjoy the museum. Don't expect to see anybody and be careful not to miss the balloon launch. Whilst you are in the area the Warakurna Roadhouse CV Park is very good. There is an excellent Indigenous art gallery at the roadhouse as well.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597356

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 17:06

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 17:06
Thank you for this advice Robert. Disappointing that the tours are not longer operating at all.

Travellers are welcome to phone the Weather Station on 08 8956 7358 closer to their travel date to find out if any tours are possible, and to let them know you are coming, even in only to see the visitor room with weather history and Len Beadell memorabilia or watch the balloon go up.

We also stayed at Warakurna Roadhouse campground and found it satisfactory, and being close enabled us to get to the station easily for the weather balloon and what was then the accompanying tour.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 866974

Sponsored Links