Camping Stretchers..

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 18:52
ThreadID: 131842 Views:4069 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya are there any good stretchers out there. And is there ones you really don't need mattress thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 19:25

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 19:25
Most camping shops have good quality stretchers, price being a pretty good guide to quality.
As to whether you need a mattress will depend on your age and tolerance to pain.
when i was young and even sillier I just dug a hip hole with an old ex army shovel and slept
where I fell but nowadays I need every comfort I can get.
I recommend the self inflating mattresses.
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597383

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 19:31

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 19:31
Thanks Ross..yes age catches up.I used to sleep on top of old 60's Landcruiser.And in Nepal where I lived for awhile only had wooden bed and couple old blankets for matress.I just bought a 1100 Darche Self inflating mat.Was going whole hog with Exped but over 400 bucks .I will give this mat a go see how it feels.The stretcher would be nice to not have to clamber up of the ground and in morn can sit on it next to camp fire .Cheers
FollowupID: 866432

Follow Up By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 20:04

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 20:04
Yes, Stephen getting up off the ground these days is a chore which I overcame with a Kimberley
kamper but that I think was overkill
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866434

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 20:45

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 20:45
Hi Ross getting soft in ya old age ha ha ha.Those KimberlyKampers are like Hotels just need a nice maid ha ha ha .Must be nice to travel with .Where have ya been cheers
FollowupID: 866438

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 19:56

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 19:56
G'day Stephen

I ended up with 2 Oztent stretchers as part of a package when I purchased my Oztent - they are rated at 150 kg's which I thought was a plus as many are rated at 120 kg's or less - one would think that they are a wee bit stronger ??

Have slept on them a few times without any mattress and didn't really have a bad sleep but with a thin self inflating mattress on they are far more comfortable.

I have different self inflating mattresses - thinner ones (40mm) for when out camping and thicker ones ( 75mm) for when I have more visitors than beds at home. All my visitors comment on how comfy the set up was !!

I also made sure the mattresses were the same size as the stretchers.

Hope this helps in some way

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 597386

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 18:28

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 18:28
we have oztent stretcher too , they are a big tough stretcher !!
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 866515

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 19:58

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 19:58
Hi

I have a Moondyne (Traverse Giant), Oztrail (Jumbo) plus an Oztrail (Compact) (and a couple of smaller (low) ones).

I could happily sleep on all without a mattress, but as indicated by previous poster - up to you in the end as personal preference thing. I assume there are some with padding but easy enough to get a self inflating mattress of some size that suits you if you find what ever you end up getting a bit hard.

Would also keep an eye on weight - the bigger ones can get pretty heavy. Also, when new installing the final end strut can be a challenge as you have to stretch the fabric a bit to slot the rail into place (depending on design). I needed a lever for the first few times with the Moondyne until things settled (stretched). Good exercise nonetheless :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 597387

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 05:26

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 05:26
Hi Stephen,
I bought a helinox stretcher..cot one...have a look on the website as they make a range of very lightweight, compact stretchers which are pretty comfortable.
Because I hate sleeping bags, I also bought a duvalay bedding pack which makes it as comfortable as my bed at home, but also used it with a self inflating mat. I think you could sleep on it as is but I haven't tried it.
They also make great chairs..I have a couple of the ones with high backs and they are really supportive and comfortable and very lightweight and compact for travel.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 597395

Follow Up By: Member - Noah273 - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 19:57

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 19:57
Hi Heather,
We also have a Helinox stretcher. So light weight and easy to contruct. We have an Exped self inflating mattress as well. Super comfy and they both make for a great nights sleep.

Denise

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866462

Reply By: Iza B - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 07:31

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 07:31
My canvas topped stretchers are too old for me to come up with a brand. They were the largest size sold by Anaconda at the time and the canvas is a bit more modern than the traditional heavy weight material. Bottom line is that I prefer a firm surface and the canvas in these is sufficient to yield to the the pointy bits and no pressure points occur. A simple Yoga Mat in the winter adds a bit of give. The body weight of the individual comes into the comfort assessment when asking others for recommendations.

Have you tried a hammock as an alternative? Never need a mattress in a hammock. Hammocks are lighter, smaller to store, and many have insect protection built in. Friend with a bad back has also given his stretchers away now he has a hammock. Apologies for getting off topic.

Iza
AnswerID: 597397

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 11:29

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 11:29
I have several types of stretchers and all are better, as other posters have said, with a mattress.

Which also is a good insulator, as it can get draughty underneath.

Now my favourite is the steel Wild Country Goulburn - 2100 mm long (7'). Sets up and down in an instant Vs the models with end tensioning bars - which some people really struggle to secure. Steel is more robust than aluminium in the stretcher construction dept. Carry a few spare bolts & nyloc nuts as at some point the rivets on the legs will let go.

I also abor sleeping bags, so just unroll my swag with sheets, doona, lightweight blanket, on top. Can't be beat for temperature flexibility, comfort, plus ease of rising in the dead of night for you-know-what.

AnswerID: 597402

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 17:31

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 17:31
Gidday

Another vote for this style of stretcher rather than the end tensioning types.

I have a Roman Rapid Deluxe (which I think may not be available now). With a swag it is ideal for the desert (as above) or with a thermarest and a doona perfect in the tent.

Cheers

FollowupID: 866457

Reply By: carl h2 - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 17:31

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 17:31
Darche XL Best stretcher I have had. even better with a swag.
AnswerID: 597414

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 22:27

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 22:27
Carl h2 yeh I been looking into one. I just bought Darche All terrain 1100 selfinflating mat and. AIRVOLUTION AT4 tent .Wondering do you need anything ontop or comfortable without I am 102kg .I have wife and so be nice if it good I sleep.on Stretcher and they can have mattress cheers
FollowupID: 866468

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 05:20

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 05:20
Gooday,
Have a Black Wolf we bought in Karatha years ago, has about a 2inch foam mattress,the best part about it is that t is at least 6FT 8inches long, I am tall as is My Brother whom we bought it for to use, as he joined us in Headland and travelled with us for 2 months. I have used it many times since and hope it sees me out.
Cheers,
Boroma604
AnswerID: 597430

Reply By: carl h2 - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 16:28

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 16:28
Hi Stephen I'm 115kg NO PROBLEM if want to put a extra padding go for it but I can sleep no problem with out one cheers.
AnswerID: 597451

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 16:45

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 16:45
Carl h2 sounds good are they easy to setup some say cross bars at end a pain to put in is that true ..thanks
FollowupID: 866511

Reply By: carl h2 - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 17:27

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 17:27
no not really they set up in about 5 minutes ready to sleep. You can only buy them online when I brought mine last july took it to Tassie last august it rained or snowed at night but had a good night sleep I use it with a swag.
AnswerID: 597453

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 17:35

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 17:35
Stephen,

I bought a Wanderer "Deluxe" last year @ BCF, to cross the Rig Road. Used my swag on it, and sleep pretty well for the 4-5 nights I used it. Didn't use a mattress, though my swag does have a foam mattress in it that used to be 1" thick about 30 years ago.

Seems to be a bit heavy to me, but as someone else mentioned, might need some repair work done on it, with plenty of use. Has the end tensioner bars..........they're okay to fit BEFORE happy hour.

I bought this one because it was wider than the cheaper ones, about 900mm I think, and cost about $90, on special. Some of the other's stretchers sound good, might have to check them out when I need one for the Boss.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597454

Sponsored Links