Lokka

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 13:13
ThreadID: 131887 Views:3259 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone has fitted a Lokka auto diff lock. Have conflicting feedback from "don't touch it" to "works fine no problems" Planning on fitting to front only on LC V8 trayback. Comments for and against please.
TRAWE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 13:28

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 13:28
I had one in front of my 2.8D Hilux , great thing , I have since had Air Lockers in my D4D Hilux , now have ELockers in my Dmax .

If I could of got a Lokka for the front of either of those vehicles , I would of no question
They just work don't even have to think about it .

Because your LC has free wheel hubs , just unlock the hubs , everything is normal on the road .

Even so I could drive my Hilux on the highway with the hubs locked , without issue , I could feel the Lokka working on roundabouts , tight turns ect but was never a problem .

I did 200k in my 2.8Lux ,a lot of Highcountry 4x4ing , the Lokka never gave any problems, not one can't say the same about the bloody Air Lockers , very early days for the Elockers , so far so good .
AnswerID: 597604

Follow Up By: Trawe - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 13:59

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 13:59
Thanks Jacko
Any comment how the Lokka will assist crossing the dunes on the Simpson (any dunes really) I have crossed the Simpson before but this time will be a heavier vehicle. One of the objections I heard was that installing was a drama one mechanic saying it took a day and a half including removing axles, replacing seals etc.
Any comment
TRAWE
FollowupID: 866670

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 14:07

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 14:07
The front's always going to be a bigger job than the rear, Trawe, 'cause one has to remove the hubs, spindle etc, just to get the axles out, before you remove the diff.

Day 'n half's probably not too bad........you wouldn't want him rushing installation of the Lokka, as poor fitting of the kit is, I understand, where any later problems occur.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866671

Follow Up By: Member - Rob 49 - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 14:17

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 14:17
Hi,
I have a Spartan Locker (unlocker) in my part time 4wd Cruiser. Agree with Jacko. Can't speak for the Lockka but from my experience with the Spartan I think they do a good job at a bargain price. Steering is a bit heavier with a more pronounced return to centre when the hubs are locked and when in 4WD ever so slightly more noticeable but not too bad at all.
Rob
I took the road less travelled........ and didn't see any-one.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866672

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 20:36

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 20:36
Another lokka fan here. It transformed my hilux. Crossing the Simpson you will only see a benefit when you run out of traction - rarely if at all. Still the best money you can spend on a 4wd imo.
FollowupID: 866685

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 21:56

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 21:56
I can't remember I know it was a same day job , I know ppl say diff locks in sand can be a disadvantage , my experience in the Simpson and other dunes is they are good , you still get drive to the wheel on the ground just like anywhere ,

Just do it , you will luv it . .
FollowupID: 866688

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 00:12

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 00:12
Air lockers can have problems when turning in soft sand and mud or when manoeuvring on steep slippery slopes. Lokka's are fine in sand as they "unlock" as you turn. As mentioned above only when incorrectly installed do there seem to be problems. I have had them on the front of my Patrol since 2004 - best addition I have made...
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866724

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 14:39

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 14:39
I fitted a "Lock Right" ("lokka" I think is the cheaper copy) to my 80 series and it was faultless and fantastic for 17 years and 250000kms. It was a part time front diff like yours but they work really well. You have to remember they are an automatic UNLOCKER so you don't have to remember to unlock immediately. However, you will still get wind up on hard ground.
Spend a little extra and get the best of that style. I will be putting one in my 76 series soon.
Ian
AnswerID: 597607

Reply By: Matthew G3 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 09:24

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 09:24
Hi Trawe
I had one in the front of my 80 Series [Auto Lokka] and loved it. Crossing the Simpson you could feel the front pulling, but I wish I had put there rear replacement one in to, as the Tojo LSD is useless. With the front hubs in it did make a clicking noise when turning the wheel nothing to bad though in 2H, in 4H no noise. In 2H with hubs out no noise. For the money you can not go wrong and it cost me $350 to get it fitted or you can do it your self with there full instructions supplied. If they did one for the front of a Ranger I would get another.
Matt
AnswerID: 597635

Follow Up By: Trawe - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:03

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:03
Thanks Matt
Comments so far have all been positive. Can you tell me what was done to have it fitted. At the price you mention couldn't have needed much?
TRAWE
FollowupID: 866701

Follow Up By: Matthew G3 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:13

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:13
Hi TRAWE
Its axles out plus diff out. If your got the right tools and have pulled the hubs apart before, its not that hard. That was with new oil and seal and new seal kit for the hubs as the bearings were not that old. They say 3.5 hours for a mechanic, double if done at home. I had mine done by Oppisite Lock in Wodonga VIC. When I baught mine they had unlimited use warranty off road, comp, or drag. When you look at the box it comes in you think there must be another one, they are small simple and they work, no air lines to fall off, or cables to get snagged.
Matt
FollowupID: 866704

Reply By: LandCoaster - Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 20:01

Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 20:01
I had airlockers on my Coaster 4x4. They are full-time locked when engaged...

"Fantastic" is the only word I could use to describe them...

some proviso's from the learning experience,,,
Full lock turns tend to push you forward
Angled ascents can drag the front down
Straight ascents can create landslides - all the fun stuff
AnswerID: 597734

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 10:04

Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 10:04
I had one in the rear of my Jeep and had to remove it because it upset the gearbox/abs sensor electronics. It kept going into limp mode on roundabouts. I reckon it will depend on the car but no matter what, the driving dynamic will change unless you have free wheeling hubs. Some find the clicking nose it makes when unlocking around corners a little irritating. I did find an interesting effect, one of my rear tyres started going flat and the rear of the car was trying to turn a corner on its own. It's essentially a solid axle that unlocks if the force differential between wheels is great enough to pull the cogs apart. Excellent off road, never had a problem there as the wheels couldn't grip hard enough on dirt to unlock it.
AnswerID: 597755

Sponsored Links