Cross on the Mount......... err, Bluff

Submitted: Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 15:51
ThreadID: 131928 Views:2805 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
-
I'll post this one without comment. Read more here.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 16:09

Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 16:09
Quite appropriate on Good Friday. God Bless them.
AnswerID: 597771

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 19:54

Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 19:54
A Wind Turbine may be a better option, they would be equally ugly perched on top of that Bluff, but the turbine may have a practical application to a few living nearby. Its always interesting that wealthy people who have "a vision' like Ken Duncan, always want others less fortunate to put their hands in their pockets to pay for their whims rather than funding it themselves, the very ones who have the means to do so. I think the money could be spent better on jobs for the local indigenous people instead of a religious overtone which is not historically part of the aboriginal culture. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 597779

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 08:33

Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 08:33
Maybe you should read the article at the link.

"On his website, Mr Duncan said he first heard of the idea when three community leaders spoke to him of their "vision to build a cross on top of Memory Mountain" in 2009."

and

"One day we approached Ken and said 'mate, is it possible to put up a cross up here?' And he said 'yep, it is possible'
Haasts Bluff Aboriginal elder Douglas Multa"

Phil
FollowupID: 866825

Reply By: Member - brucek - Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 22:30

Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 22:30
Yes, God bless them.

It is really nice to see something that is a local aboriginal vision, come nearer to being a reality.

Over the top it might be in many ways, but then that is what Easter is as well.
It needed to be.

We will be visiting a number of Aboriginal communities on our trip and I am very aware that our first job is to listen. Listen to them and their stories. To often we have imposed our ideas on them and it has never really worked.

The Ikuntji have something of high importance to them and want to share it so that "everybody will be jumping up and down with joy". There have been a number of people listen to their vision and then made contributions.

Haast's Bluff is almost the centre of Australia when it comes to being the furthest spot from the sea. There maybe a statement in the vision.
We'll have to ask them.

We could also ask why, of those who have donated funds to this project.
Listening patiently to their reasons and stories may be salutary.

We could also ask Mel Gibson why he made the film "The Passion of the Christ". I more than suspect that making money was not the main consideration.
Come on Mel, tell us why.

We must also ask Ken Duncan why he picked up this idea and ran with it.
AnswerID: 597787

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 22:49

Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 22:49
I thought it said that God spoke directly to him...and told him how to raise the funds? If God spoke directly to me and told me how to raise a million dollars I'd run with it.
FollowupID: 866823

Reply By: Paul E6 - Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 23:57

Friday, Mar 25, 2016 at 23:57
The cross transcends culture and race.
All of them, for all time.
AnswerID: 597788

Reply By: Malcom M - Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 12:32

Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 12:32
Wonder what they'll charge for the key to the gate to go look at it?
AnswerID: 597798

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 20:10

Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 20:10
We all need a little reminder occasionally, that pops up suddenly in the middle of nowhere, to keep us on the straight and narrow, rather than the wide path that leadeth to destruction. [;-)

There are a number of civilisations that have sustained high levels of morality, civility and love for fellow man - along with exceptional world leadership and technological advancement - by following Christian principles and basing their Govts and democracies on Christian beliefs.
These nations are the ones at the forefront of responses to world disasters, offering help and humane assistance.

I can't see anything wrong with reminding visitors to some of the most remote parts of Australia that we are essentially a Christian Nation and our civil society is founded on Christian beliefs.

Part of our Christian national tolerance is allowing other religions and cultures to survive and flourish. I can't say that for a lot of other religions or cultures.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 597805

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 23:51

Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 23:51
I would agree with you, except that we as a nation have largely abandoned what most people once valued.
The same goes.for the other major western nations. And some wonder why society is in decline.
FollowupID: 866845

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Mar 27, 2016 at 00:10

Sunday, Mar 27, 2016 at 00:10
Paul, I think the "decline" problem stems from the relentless media, advertising, and corporate pressure to be full-time consumers, and to be totally materialistic.
Unfortunately, people in our societies are under relentless pressure to make continuous major wealth gains, to purchase the latest consumer, "name-brand" product, and to trample on others in the rush to do so.

All advertising is aimed at increasing selfishness ("make sure you get this item, before others do!"), and every material gain is designed to show superiority over others.

If you've ever lost all your material possessions in a fire, been deprived of all your assets via devious means, or endured a major family tragedy, then you'll know that material possessions and great monetary wealth are not the be-all and end-all of this life.

It's difficult to make people, particularly younger people, understand that this life is merely a test, to see if we actually possess and show love for our fellow man, over and above the pursuit of material gain.

As one member here says in his signature line, "not everything that counts can be counted - and not everything that can be counted, counts!"
I think that little saying sums up life, very neatly.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 866846

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Mar 28, 2016 at 01:16

Monday, Mar 28, 2016 at 01:16
Society's in decline? The crime rate has been dropping for years, we are all living longer and we are noticably more well off than when I was a kid. The only difference these days is that news is 24/7 and shoved down our throat at every opportunity. It's required to feed the monster. If the news mongers can sensationalize it they will. Bad things used to happen quite regularly, the racism and intolerance even back in the 50's, 60's and 70's we are well rid of. I wonder how many women today would love to go back to the good old days and clean, cook and raise babies for a living for no pay?
Terrorism was rampant in the 70's, plane hijackings, even massacres at the Olympic Games. Polititians press the terror button to get cheap votes. You are more likely by far to get killed in a car accident than a terror attack.....and the road toll has dropped through the floor as well.
Personally, I see the world as a much more tolerant and safer place now than it has ever been which leads me to beleve that society is not in decline.
FollowupID: 866896

Follow Up By: Member - rooster350 - Monday, Mar 28, 2016 at 15:16

Monday, Mar 28, 2016 at 15:16
Michael H9, try and tell the families of the 24 motorcyclists in Vic that have died since Jan.1st that "the road toll has dropped through the floor". Terrorism is rife now also...just ask the Belgians and the French..we could go on , and the "ice" that is now causing havoc in our midst. You must have your head in the sand.

""
FollowupID: 866918

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Mar 28, 2016 at 17:20

Monday, Mar 28, 2016 at 17:20
Rooster,

Road toll Qld has fallen just a tad since 1974. As for motor bikes, just ban them that will fix the stats. Ha.Ha

The per capita road toll trend shows a gradual decline with the fatalities falling from 32.14 fatalities per 100,000 population in 1974 to 4.72 fatalities per 100,000 people in 2015.

However of the 242 road fatalities in 2015, 54 were linked to motorcycles – where the victim was either a motorcycle rider, a pillion passenger on a motorcycle or was struck by a motorcycle.

Terrorism. WW1 and WW2 and Vietnam come to mind and that was terror for any involved but I guess we could just gloss it over as something else. Cambodia was also something else.

The media is very guilty of lets say, massaging the truth a tad.

FollowupID: 866923

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Mar 28, 2016 at 17:35

Monday, Mar 28, 2016 at 17:35
The one at Eucla has been shining over the Roe Plains for years.
Though last time I looked it did need a bit of electrical maintenance.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597856

Sponsored Links