bike rack for Prado

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:39
ThreadID: 131980 Views:11563 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi : finding it difficult to get information on bike racks for my Prado which has the spare tyre mounted on the rear door. wanting a sturdy rack capable of carrying 2 bikes. have 2012 gx prado with hayman reese tow bar. hope someone can help
thanks Pandora
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:51

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:51
Hi have you looked at the range of bike racks by Rhino Rack? see Rhino Bike Racks This was the first type we used and it was very rugged and suitable for offroading - but I found it a bit heavy to use. We had a hitch rack that carried 3 bikes but we only put 2 on it. Not sure if that same model is still available as it is over 10 yrs old but it had separate locks for each bike on the rack. Swing down bar is ideal to still allow you to get to the rear of your vehicle etc. Problem was with 2 bikes on it, and bar down, I couldn't lift it back up and I'm very strong for a female (although very short so somewhat compromised for this type of lift). So for around home for our road and tri bikes we now have a Thurle 2 bike carrier that works on the same principle but much lighter to operate. We also have a 3rd carrier - this is to carry 4 bikes - it is also a hitch mount but not a swing bar - it is a flat carrier that carries all bikes level on their wheels. I only use this for highway driving. It protrudes a long way and requires rear lights and number plate mounted to it. That one was purchased online - bit of a no-name I think but its amazing when we need it, fit for purpose.
If Rhino or Thurle don't have what you want, try bike sites like Chain Reaction or Wiggle.
You can also look on dedicated bike website such as
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598013

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:58

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:58
I've also just spotted a brand I DON'T know "Yakima" (Australian) that have a full swing bar that could be a good solution as then you don't have to contend with the weight of lifting the bar with bikes back up when its down. This is a definite annoyance with this other types when on the road stopping to get things out etc. Take a look anyway - Full swing Yakima
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 867126

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 20:30

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 20:30
Thanks Michelle, yes, being a senior citizen I'm always thinking about weight. A swing away would be ideal as long as the rack is designed to clear the spare tyre on the rear door, This seems to be the main obstacle with the bike carriers on the prado.
Cheers pandora
FollowupID: 867150

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 13:51

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 13:51
I just purchased bike rack that goes into the hitch receiver, it wasn't long enough
to clear the spare so took it to a tow bar place and they extended it to fit.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 598014

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 14:19

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 14:19
yes, that's the part I'm confused about, from looking on line it isn't clear if the racks are made to clear the spare tyre on the rear door. The extension on the hitch would solve that problem, thanks for the tip
Cheers pandora

FollowupID: 867131

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 15:17

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 15:17
Gooday,
Just been through a similar exercise, needed a carrier to carry a step through I have recently bought, have a look at this site-: http://gripsport.com.au/index.php/product/carriers-racks-on-caravans-campers-etc

Pretty sure they will have something to suit you, though not the cheapest.

I finished up buying one from these people, www.cyclingdeal.com.au (made in Taiwan), I am only carrying 1 Bike so will see how it goes for $149-00, worth a try.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 598017

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 20:20

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 20:20
Thanks Boroma,
Looks like you have been down a similar road. it's not easy when you can't see them in the flesh, so to speak. I have emailed some distributors and either get no response or they cant reassure me that their rack is suitable for my Prado. I will follow up with your suggestions and check out the websites.
Cheers pandora
FollowupID: 867148

Reply By: gelatr - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 21:14

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 21:14
I had a standard Rhino 3 bike rack on my Prado. It was an earlier model Prado than yours but I don't think there is much difference in the body. It had the spare on the back as well. I took 3 bikes from Brisbane to Melbourne and back on the rack without any issues. It was a fairly rugged and well made rack that inserted into the tow bar hitch. I bought my rack from my local ARB Dealer who provided pretty sound advice.

Cheers Geoff
AnswerID: 598035

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 11:13

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 11:13
hi Geoff. I checked out the rhino site but it wasn't clear to me if the rack would clear the spare as there were no illustrations of vehicles with the tyre on the rear door. I will give Arb a try, as you say they should know what will fit my vehicle.
thanks for your feedback
There's been some good response. I'm optimistic now that I will be able to find some suitable racks to choose from.
cheers pandora
FollowupID: 867178

Reply By: Michaeljp - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 11:39

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 11:39
As you have already brought a rack this is a moot point, but, Rhino say on their instructions, Not suitable for off road use. This i know for sure as last year i saw a traveller on the Tanamai track with a broken Rhino bike rack(tow hitch receiver type). I helped him tie his bikes on the roof of the car.
The best by far are the Australian made "ISI bike carrier" quit pricey, but made by a 4WDer for off road condition. Mine has done thousands of km's on corrugated roads without a problem. Clears the spare tyre and swings down.
AnswerID: 598060

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:00

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:00
hi Michael, no , have not yet bought a rack, I did buy a tow ball type for my Hilux some years ago, and only got 200 klms on good bitumen before it buckled and luckily noticed the problem and avoided a tragedy happening driving at 100kph on busy 4 lane highway.
Agree, this time I want to ensure I get a robust and safe product. I am researching all the info and advice provided so far.
The drop down rack is a great idea, not sure how we would go lifting it back up though, never the less I will google the ISI carrier and follow up
thanks for your advice,
cheers pandora
FollowupID: 867183

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 18:19

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 18:19
I suppose you've had a look at the Thule stuff ?

Thule rear bike carriers
AnswerID: 598083

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 21:48

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 21:48
Thanks wicket, yes, i checked their site and I sent them an email enquiring about a carrier for my Prado
Cheers pandora
FollowupID: 867211

Reply By: Member - Ian M21 - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 08:01

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 08:01
Have a Gripsport rack on my Pajero!
Perfect, highly recommend . Ian
AnswerID: 598101

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 10:13

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 10:13
Thanks for your response Ian, I emailed Gripsport on Boromas recommendation ..just goes to show whats out there as I had never heard of this product. They replied immediately and have provided info on a rack for my Prado. I'm seriously looking at this one now.
appreciate your advice
Pandora
FollowupID: 867221

Reply By: Wojieboy - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 22:10

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 22:10
http://www.isi-carriers.com/
I have the 4 bike version...can adjust to suit any wheelbase and you can even order wheel hoops for BMX bikes (that can be returned to ISI and upgraded to MTB wheels at at a later date) I have carried 4 bikes on the carrier and once it is set up it is a doddle to load and unload. Carries MTB/Road and BMX no worries.
Extremely good for offroad as the bikes are sitting on the wheels with a rubberised sliding retainer clamp that goes across the top tube of the bike.
I looked into these racks and the Gripsport and I believe they are far more durable than most. Downside to the Gripsport rack is I believe the clamp has more likelihood of scratching the bikes frame or components when clamping/unclamping (I have seen friends loading bikes to Gripsport FWIW) They sort of "Scissor" down to lay flat to take the bikes off, whereas the ISI you remove the Clamp pole out of the way before lifting the bike out of the wheel hoops-no chance of scratching your ~~5-8K mountain bike.
ISI purchase cost is initially high (as are most high-end MTB's),but I have had mine about 3 years now and is a beauty. You can also buy a different hitch "offset" so you can change it to suit another vehicle (EG I had an 80 series and the Wife a 100 series- bought 2 bases as the drop on the 80 was different to the 100) 2 pins and you are swapped over.
The rack can be lowered by pulling one pin and lifting a lever (all 4 bikes on the rack) so you can access the rear door of the Prado.
Happy travels :)

AnswerID: 598121

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 11:03

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 11:03
Thanks for the thumbs up Wojieboy We are not serious riders but want a good solid tough rack that is not going to fall apart enroute and especially one that is reasonably easy to fit and load unload as I am no spring chicken
I have emailed ISi and waiting on reply.
Thanks for your useful review and pics
Pandora

FollowupID: 867252

Reply By: David T6 - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 04:44

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 04:44
Another thumbs up for ISI carriers, George who designed them, is a serious mountain biker and the carriers are being supplied by Kimberley Kampers as an option for bike carrying.
I have one and they are excellent.
AnswerID: 598287

Sponsored Links