towing vehicle

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1320 Views:2227 Replies:16 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have a 92 model fairlane with a 5.0 litre V8, Has anyone towed a van with one of these and any advise offered ?
many thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
Scot - My feeing is that you will have ample power but may need modification to the cooling system and aids/mods to the suspension. Sedans are just not built for towing the way 4wds are. Of course the size of van is important but you didn't mention that. Obviously the larger the van the more closely you need to examine cooling, suspension, transmission requirements. Have a look at the handbook. A mate of mine checked his and found to preserve his new car warranty and tow a 16ft pop top he had to spend about $1000.00. He had a Commodore type car. Some of that may not have been essential but that was what the manufacturer required for the warranty to be honoured!! I used to tow with a Holden and ended up fitting a larger radiator, transmission cooler and getting a 4 bar set of level riders. I now have a cruiser and just put the van on the back and go - no need for any changes. Good luck!!
AnswerID: 4252

Follow Up By: Scot & Kym Coomber - Thursday, Jun 20, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 20, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks-Gents !
FollowupID: 1850

Scot - My feeing is that you will have ample power but may need modification to the cooling system and aids/mods to the suspension. Sedans are just not built for towing the way 4wds are. Of course the size of van is important but you didn't mention that. Obviously the larger the van the more closely you need to examine cooling, suspension, transmission requirements. Have a look at the handbook. A mate of mine checked his and found to preserve his new car warranty and tow a 16ft pop top he had to spend about $1000.00. He had a Commodore type car. Some of that may not have been essential but that was what the manufacturer required for the warranty to be honoured!! I used to tow with a Holden and ended up fitting a larger radiator, transmission cooler and getting a 4 bar set of level riders. I now have a cruiser and just put the van on the back and go - no need for any changes. Good luck!!
AnswerID: 4253

AnswerID: 4254

AnswerID: 4255

AnswerID: 4256

AnswerID: 4257

AnswerID: 4258

AnswerID: 4259

AnswerID: 4260

AnswerID: 4261

AnswerID: 4262

AnswerID: 4263

AnswerID: 4264

Reply By: Member - Tony - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Scot,
I guess Fred hit a button too many times :)
I had a '76 Fairmont (302, or 5L, C4 auto). Used to tow great (loaded large (8x5) trailer, car trailer). Only mod I had were extractors (more HP) and air shocks at back. Never had any cooling problems. Did howver crunch a couple of diffs (didn't have a 9in), bt I can't put that down to towing incidents. Can't really speak for the later Fords, but I can tell you the old Clevo's used to take it all in stride.

Cheers, Tony
AnswerID: 4265

Follow Up By: Fred - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2002 at 00:00
Tony I wasn't actually referring to towing trailers - I was thinking more in terms of caravans. Quite a difference - particularly wind resistance at speed.
FollowupID: 1845

Reply By: Member - Tony - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
Granted, Fred. Yes, increased wind resistance would be a factor. Of course, it does come down to how well an older car (and Scot is talking a '92 model) has been maintained, modified etc.

Out of interest, I remember an article (in I think it was Wheels magazine back in the '70's), doing a comparo between a XA Fairmont (302), HQ Premier (253) and a VH Valiant. All vehicles were tested towing a caravan over several thousand kms through SE Australia. I remember the auto in the Ford failed (losing 2nd I think), but no mention of any cooling problems from memory. Can't remember how the others performed, as I was only interested in Fords at the time :)

Scot, I'd suggest talking to several experienced mechanics as well as opinions from mugs like myself! Happy touring.
AnswerID: 4355

Follow Up By: Member - Tony - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
BTW, the Ford kept on going, and made it home, surprising the writer! Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 1866

Reply By: Damien - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00
My parents tow their 21ft caravan, weighing just over 2 tonne, with their 5.0L Fairlane, which i think is a '94 model. The car is dual fuel & even on LPG it seems to tow the van adequately. They have been up the east coast from Melbourne to Cairns (my sister lives there) several times as well as a lot of week long & weekend trips. The engine has over 200K on the clock but is still original. I'm not too sure about any problems as such, apart from the suspension needing to be replaced (but you'd expect that).
I know they are talking about doing the big around Australia trip in the next couple of years & are considering buying a 4wd for this. They were amazed at how well my 3.0L T/D Jackaroo towed the van & how stable it was compared to the fairlane.
So, bottom line, the car will do the job (assuming it's mechanically sound), but a 4wd would probably be better.

AnswerID: 4380

Sponsored Links