Tyre pressure monitors V's Tyre Sealant

Submitted: Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 16:43
ThreadID: 132067 Views:2932 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Your opinions please.

I set of on a big trip very soon and have stem type TPMS, and also have purchased (supposedly) a high quality tyre sealant called Air Seal - goo that you put inside your tyre.
Unfortunately its one or the other that can be used.
Which system should I use?
The trip involves the Gibb River Road.

Please - no lectures on stupidity - that's my wife's job!
Trevor&Verna, Kal WA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 16:54

Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 16:54
I would only use the sealant as a very last resort ,
once you use it , repairing a tyre is history , 2 spares a must
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 598369

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 19:37

Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 19:37
Hi T & V ,
We did the Gibb last year, was much easier than expected. Drop your tyre pressures
Get a tubeless tyre repair kit AND the TPMS.
Buy a TMPS to monitor your vehicle and whatever you might be towing. My system has saved me totally wrecking 3 tyres and was able to repair each of them with the plug kit.
Pedro
AnswerID: 598380

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 22:33

Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 22:33
I reckon the TPMS is one of the best things I've bought for touring. Definitely paid for itself twice.

It's essential gear for us now.

Steve
FollowupID: 867556

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 23:07

Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 23:07
Hi
I agree with only using sealant as a last resort, and tpms are great, and plug kits are good but the tyre should really be repaired properly when able to.
Mechpete's comment about not being able to repair after having sealant in them is not the case, in my twenty years of tyre retailing (rural area) we cleaned out sealant and repaired heaps of tyres, some tyre people probably just don't want to do it!
Happy travelling
AnswerID: 598386

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Saturday, Apr 09, 2016 at 06:10

Saturday, Apr 09, 2016 at 06:10
Hi, we have done a bit of off road travel and have done the Gibb River Road we have a tyredog TPMS and it has saved our tyres on a couple of occasions , then got the tyres checked at the next major town, lower tyre pressures as well,
enjoy your trip and travel safe
Cheers Judy and Laurie
AnswerID: 598391

Reply By: Trevor&Verna - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 09:01

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 09:01
Thanks everybody for your opinions.
I've got the InnoTech TPMS - seemed to have a good reputation.
Now I've got to learn how to use it!
Thats frightening.

TJ
Trevor&Verna, Kal WA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598535

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:38

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:38
To be honest the TPMS and sealant 'goo' cannot be compared as they are two completely different products for two different functions. One is for use before 'the event' and one for use after 'the event'. The TPMS being a preventative device to alert you of a pressure decrease so you can pull over and investigate the reason before the tyre is completely destroyed. Assuming the tyre does have a puncture you then have to decide whether to repair it or fit one of your TWO spares. A temporary use plug kit is cheap insurance and an effective method of getting you to a place either end of the GRR or midway (Over The Range Tyres or Drysdale River Station) where a permanent plug complete with its integral internal patch can be applied (depending on the location of the puncture) Plugs do not work well in tyre walls or shoulders due to flexing and penetration by the sharp broken steel cord wires. Another option is to carry spare tubes (which can be run in tubeless tyres) but you then need to carry tyre levers, a rubber mallet and a method of breaking the tyre bead and if not fitting a tube you then have the problem of having enough air flow and air capacity to re-seat the tyre beads on the wheel rim to re-inflate the tyre. There was much discussion on this topic in the last week or so, so I will not go there. Hopefully nobody will seriously suggest the LPG method as a safe method of sealing a tubeless tyre except in the most desperate of circumstances say in the case of being alone and completely isolated. Apart from the risk of explosion and life threatening burns, LPG has a deleterious effect on rubber. For the price of a can of 'goo' it may be worthwhile carrying that too should a slow leak too small for a plug or due to rim porosity occur. You would then not refit the TPMS head to that tyre at least until the goo had completely set. Another very useful cheap tool that many do not carry is a combination tyre valve removal/thread tapping tool or at the very least, one valve cap with the integral valve removal tool fitted to the cap. Most quality plug kits have one of these tools in the kit.
So as you can see the TPMS will give you an early warning of a problem but you still have to rectify the problem. The TPMS will not help with a blow out and without a TPMS even the best of drivers will have trouble detecting a drop in pressure or even a flat tyre on these roads with modern 4WD suspension systems until it is too late.
Having been fortunate enough to have driven the GRR twice including Mitchell Falls and the Bungle Bungles without a puncture my advice is to fit the best off road tyres, with the most tread, under 6 years old, that you can afford, drop your speed, drop your pressures as others have suggested (I run 28PSI), carry two spares and at least a plug repair kit, a quality tyre pressure gauge and watch out for back packers in KEA and MAUI vans and AAT buses heading towards you at speed, especially on blind corners. Good luck.
FollowupID: 867713

Sponsored Links