Camera for child.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 09:45
ThreadID: 132142 Views:2495 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi have read about cameras on photography dedicated websites and wow a lot of aguements on what to give a child .I am crazy photography and like my 6 year old boy to take photos of our trip around Oz..Be nice for his memories and to get interesting angle of trip and even some ugly photos of me .So I thought ask here if people had first hand experience .Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 12:21

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 12:21
Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I wouldn't have thought a 6 yr old would be interested in photography?

Just checked Digital Camera Warehouse site for cameras under $200, and they have a number there that might suit. They have a Fuji that uses film and provides an instant photo. Would be the way to get him "hooked" but might be an expensive option in the long term?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598723

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 14:59

Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 14:59
Hi Bob,
When my son was almost 4yo Roz bought a compact film camera at a garage sale for Pete to play with. He kept his chalk collection inside it for a while then decided that he wished to take photos.
Roz took it to the camera shop and asked if they thought it would work. The attendant opened the back, blew out some chalk dust and suggested "put in a film and try it"!
So they did, and it worked, and Pete took quite a few reasonable photos.
Now, some 30 years later, Pete uses a somewhat superior digital camera, but the old chalk box gave him a start.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 867932

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 18:12

Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 18:12
In hindsight(wonderful attribute!), Allan, was probably a bit harsh on all the young blokes out there. Our 5 yr old grandson is very savvy, and I have no doubt he could fly a jumbo jet........if his feet could reach the pedals!

Speaking of storing stuff in cameras, when my late Dad was regularly bushwalking before the war, he used to pack a couple of tomatoes in his Box Brownie, sans film of course. I imagine once they got "out there" the tomatoes were eaten and film fitted.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867972

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 14:13

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 14:13
I bought a Canon IXUS 160 Compact for my grandson for his 8th birthday in January and he finds it very simple and fun to operate. The camera cost me under $100 from Digital camera warehouse. I also bought a memory card, and carry bag to protect it.
Being school holidays, he and his 6 year old sister are staying with me this week, and we went bushwalking this morning so he took it along. Later this afternoon we are going to insert the memory card into my Canon Postcard printer and make some personalised postcards to send to his family.
I also keep a folder of his photos on my external HD. I am also a keen photographer and treasure my photos.
Its fantastic to foster a love of photography from a young age I think and your son will have so many personal memories of his trip if he can take his own photos.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598728

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 19:40

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 19:40
Thanks Heather .Many my friends complain that they havent got many photos from their younger years .I had mum who wasnt a great photograoher but have a collection of photos of my childhood .My son already has a lot thanks to digital cameras and off course smartphones Be great for him to have photos he actually took himself and hopefully he wr get as passion for photography.Good thing he will not have bad back from lugging heavy gear around like me ha ha ha .Technology I hated it but wow its best thing since sliced bread .cheers
FollowupID: 867911

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 21:13

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 21:13
It's not like the old days where we made mistakes and had to wait a week for the photos to come back to discover that they were awful shots!
As long as he knows the value of looking after it, I reckon it'd be quite possibly the start of something great!
I showed my class of 8 year olds how to take ordinary photos of each other from different angles (simply using my little point-and-shoot camera). a few years ago. They were wonderful!
:)
AnswerID: 598741

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 21:43

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 21:43
Kids don't follow conventional photography rules.
As a result you get lots of forgettable photos with the odd wonderful shot taken from an angle or with a composure no one would have thought of with unbelievable results.
What to give them, anything that takes photos and won't be an issue if left behind or dropped & destroyed.
It should hopefully help them remember the holiday better as well
AnswerID: 598744

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 08:06

Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 08:06
smart phone. It does so much more for the travelling kid and keeps it all in the right place.
Mine has one of my old off contract phones on a $10 prepaid plan for emergency calls. It takes great photos and he can edit them in the back seat as we drive.
AnswerID: 598755

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 08:14

Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 08:14
And make sure he takes videos in Landscape mode, nothing can look worse than a vertical video on a wide screen with those nasty big black sides.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 867922

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 08:17

Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 08:17
Some suggestions here for P&S's is probably best to start with something simple, later they can get something with manual settings for shutter, aperture, etc.
ISO setting is generally available on most digital cameras now anyway.

I would recommedn maybe going for one of the waterproof P&S's though, being WP, they are also dustproof, cordialproof, and usually resist impacts from drops very well.
I've used Olympus Tough cameras for quite some time bushwalking, they are great for this, can carry on my pack strap in simple cam bag, and take out in rain blizzard ec and get pretty good shots (f2 lens great in low light).

There's a good review of the tough 2 here, along with a couple of camparos . . .
cnet.com review

There are plenty of other WP P&S's available, have a google for > waterproof point and shoot cameras < and you should get lots of results to check out.

Hang on, you're "crazy photography" and you don't have a hundred old cameras laying abut the house to pass down ??
Come oooonnn mate !! :D :)
AnswerID: 598756

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 10:27

Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 10:27
Thanks PK I looked at the Olymus sounds good I had only film cameras and all sold to upgrade to digital I have DSLR Olympus E5 but that is heavy duty proffessional camera and can be used as wheel chock.Its heavy as.Great camera is weatherproof.I have now DSLR Olympus ch Em1 brilliant camera and small and light and if they bring out newer model I can pass that on to my son as great for small hands . Cheers
FollowupID: 867927

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 10:31

Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 10:31
Cheers mate, I see you saw Pradobobs link to a neat cheap Nikon Coolpix, this would be pretty ideal I feel for a starting point.

Have fun with the lad taking pics, will be interesting to see him improve with time behind the lens of his own equipment.
FollowupID: 867928

Reply By: Pradobob - Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 09:03

Sunday, Apr 17, 2016 at 09:03
How could you go wrong with something like this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nikon-coolpix-camera-water-shock-and-dust-resistant-RRP-450-/111964707071?hash=item1a119dd8ff:g:0ugAAOSw2ENW7K4b
Bob
AnswerID: 598759

Reply By: Hilux fan - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 16:20

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 16:20
Both my kids have had point and shoots since they were about 7, since they always wanted to borrow mine to take photos. We've had a couple of Canons (A495) and also have a Nikon (Coolpix S30). We went with the waterproof Nikon because we killed one of the Canons by getting grit into the lens extension mechanism (used a lot up the Mallee). Both cameras take excellent macros if your kid is into bugs, flowers, rocks etc. Get one with a reasonable zoom so they can get fauna shots and you should cover all bases. My kids didn't even have to read the manual. They just play with the settings (and ask Dad of course) and see what effect they have.
AnswerID: 598884

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 17:56

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 17:56
Hiya Hilux fan.Yes that true grit getting in with zooming lens .I was going to get a long zoomed compact camera but good you bought it up..
Just wondering what Hilux you have and any serious offroad.I havent used mine yet always had Landcruisers and they were tough .I am bit wary about how good my Hilux is offroad.Its all set up ,lift kit ,offroad tyres ,winch ,3 batteries,bash plates, roobar ,long range tank .Hope to do some remote places away from crowds so be a test ..cheers Steve
FollowupID: 868061

Follow Up By: Hilux fan - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 18:07

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 18:07
LazyLux,

Sounds like the vehicle is well set up. I originally had a 93 diesel dual cab, which has since been retired to status as a farm ute with 520,000 km on the clock. I've now got a 2006 diesel dual cab. The only mod I've done is a dual battery setup. Very capable offroad and the turbo power is always useful when things get sticky. Bit wary about all the sensors on the damn thing though. It went into limp mode on me a couple of times due to a dodgy injector. If I was going way out back, I'd probably invest in one of the diagnostic chip devices (similar to a scan gauge, but uses bluetooth signals to an app) which allows you to interpret all the fault codes and even reset some.
FollowupID: 868064

Reply By: Wojieboy - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 23:35

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 23:35
One of the compacts (Lumix or Olympus) will be fine...the shockproof/waterproof versions are brilliant. I let the kids (4 and 6) go for it with our Lumix (We have two of them!). Small size suits small hands. Training the kidlets to not put a finger across the lens when snapping away is another story.

Overall, something in the ~~$200 dollar bracket will leave you not so disappointed when it gets dropped off a cliff or left at the beach accidentally :)

They also want to use my "Expensive" camera...which is ok as long as I help them hold it...
AnswerID: 599042

Sponsored Links