planning for road trip, Donohue Hwy late june

Hi explorers!

My family and I are heading west on the 21st june 16. We are heading to Uluru, via Boulia and then Donohue Hwy.

I am looking at purchasing the Hema 4wd maps app for Ipad, has anyone used this? or have feed back?

Also are any of the stops on the way have activities to do?

thanks for your help

regards
Lars and family!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 07:28

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 07:28
We did a similar trip to this in Aug, 2011, Lars.

Camped at Bengeacca Ck, at start of the Donohue, the first night, then Gem Tree the 2nd night. Got to Yulara the 3rd afternoon. Plenty of bitumen sections on the Donohue, but all gravel on Plenty until you are near Gem Tree.

Have the Hema app on our iPads. It's the best thing since sliced bread!

You'll need a 2.4amp USB 12v charger to keep the iPad battery charged, if you plan on "logging" your trip. Something like this:

Don't know what "activities" you're looking for but you can go gem fossicking near Gem Tree.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598869

Follow Up By: Member - larsy - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 20:41

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 20:41
Excellent advice, thank you. What size screen iPad do u use? I was a thinking one that's 12.9inch.

Thanks bob!
FollowupID: 868079

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 07:16

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 07:16
Have an iPad about 10", I think Larsy. Even the mini iPad would be okay, just depending what your eyesight is like. :-)

Just need something like a windscreen mount, so it's not bouncing about on the corrugations, and be aware of where your airbags are. Don't want the tablet hanging out of your forehead, in the event the airbag goes off.

They also get quite hot being near the windscreen, and tend to shut down at times. I've sometimes covered it with a cloth, to avoid this. Even a mount that keeps it lower on the dash might be the go, as long as it gets GPS signal.

Re Hema maps, don't, at this stage anyway, get Hema Explorer. It's a different set up.........you need the one with all the maps included, for about $100 or more. This app will have the Great Desert Map series on it, which are very good for trips like you are planning.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868185

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 22:32

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 22:32
G'day larsy,

around Gemtree you can head south to Arltunga. It's part of the Binns Track, so it should be signposted.
We went in through Cattlewater Pass but that might be closed to public access now.
Arltunga was the first settlement in that part of the country and they were chasing gold. Plenty of old buildings and history.
Ruby Gap is nice but the track in can be challenging. If you have a high clearance 4wd and decent tyres you should be right.
You can head into Alice Springs from there and the a few things to check out on the way in.

Have fun,
Steve.
AnswerID: 598973

Follow Up By: Member - larsy - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 05:54

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 05:54
Hey eighty matey.

Arltunga looks really interesting. Can you access it via donohue hwy?

Cheers
FollowupID: 868183

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 06:41

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 06:41
Yes.
We came in through Cattlewater Pass but that's closed now.
It's part of the Binns Track, so I think you come onto it at Gemtree now.

I think you'll find that is the Plenty Highway in the NT. Same road but the Donohue is the Qld section.

Steve
FollowupID: 868184

Sponsored Links