caravan camera screen in ford ranger

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:43
ThreadID: 132190 Views:6748 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
How have other users of the ford ranger managed to set up a camera screen for the caravan . I have just purchased a ranger after having a patrol which had a seperate screen for van than the reverse .Was hoping not to add another screen if possible.

Thanks Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - WBS - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 18:33

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 18:33
I hope I understand your question correctly and answer appropriately.

In the past I mounted a rear view camera system into a Landcruiser with the 7" monitor being attached to the dashboard. It worked well but on corrugated roads it just shook too much to be useful. I replaced the monitor with one that attached to the rear view mirror. That was a much better solution.

Recently I purchased a BT50 with a cute little rear view monitor on the left 1/3 of the rear view mirror. I intend to clip the same mirror mounted monitor I used in the Landcruiser onto the rear view mirror of the BT50 figuring that as I will have a caravan in tow when I do, the little monitor built into the mirror is not going to be of much use anyway, plus, I will be able to see out the back behind the van any time I choose to turn the camera's and monitor on.

All my rear camera stuff to date has been through Safety Dave by the way. That is a totally unsolicited endorsement from a satisfied customer .

WBS (aka Tom)
AnswerID: 598949

Follow Up By: Member - peter h (SA) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 19:11

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 19:11
Yes i have in the car a factory reverse camera . Im wondering if other ranger drivers have been able to get a system to work via this system. Already have camera etc on van now need to do car again after selling my patrol for the ranger

Peter
FollowupID: 868144

Reply By: noggins - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:41

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:41
Peter . Presuming the Ranger has a reverse camera
If you locate the camera's power and AV lead in the Ranger , parallel the AV leads via a twin joiner to the van camera.
Then with the power to the camera put in a 2 way switch ( on Ranger off van , of Ranger on Van ) that will either power the Ranger or the Van.

The camera will only activate when it gets power, so by selecting which camera gets power you select which view you get.

If you want the Van camera to activate without reverse, but when you want it to, ( as in looking back down the road ) fit a 3 way switch with center off and a separate power supply to the van and cuts off the reverse power, or van of and Ranger reverse on .
( it can get very messy when you have 2 cameras switched on at once - did it and one let some smoke out )

There are more option on the switch arrangements but this is the simple way I did mine at first.

Ron

AnswerID: 599006

Reply By: Kazza055 - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 18:53

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 18:53
Peter, if you are trying to use the normal in-dash head unit as a rear view camera setup, the problem I see is if you use the A/V input, you loose the ability to play music/radio through it.

I have the D-Max LST which come with the double DIN head unit and I have used a 7" monitor that fits to the rear view mirror. This way I can still used the radio/music/gps as normal plus have the rear view right where you expect it to be.

Besides having a reversing camera I have fitted a rear view camera on the number plate as I have blanked out the side and rear windows in the canopy anyway. Once I hook up the van I just need to change the monitor from AV1 to AV2 and then see what is behind the van.
AnswerID: 599030

Reply By: Member - peter h (SA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 19:20

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 19:20
hi
Yes thats maybe what i was hoping to do. Ford for some reason cant give me a wiring diagram which would answer my ??s. Been told it has a extra plug by one and no by another
AnswerID: 599158

Sponsored Links