Lubrication of Air Compressor

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 23, 2016 at 23:34
ThreadID: 132218 Views:2732 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
To those knowledgable on air compressors - and I am not one of them.

I noticed today when inflating tyres that my Dr Air compressor sounded a bit rattly for the first 30 seconds after which it settled down to its normal sound.

I then did some web searching on " lubricating piston compressors" and found a lot on lubricating systems for industrial type compressors. Didn't seem to be anything relevant to a small compressor. I know oil, compressors and heat can equal loud noises and possibly flames.

So the question is: Does a small compressor such as the Dr Air require some form of lubrication? If so what and how is it applied so the piston doing the work is lubricated? graphite powder?

John

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 01:22

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 01:22
-
Hi John,
I think most portable 12v compressors have teflon rings and require no oil. Some cheap ones have no rings but just a plastic piston.
However they usually have a bearing on their big end that requires lubrication at installation.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599076

Reply By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 08:47

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 08:47
John
Small 12 volt compressors typically have sealed ball bearings as both main and big end bearings, so no oil involved. Pistons are either Teflon coated with Teflon rings, or full plastic, so again no oil required. This also has an effect on cooling of the piston so not suitable for long term continuous use.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 599082

Follow Up By: Member - J&A&KK - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 09:44

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 09:44
Many thanks Allen and Athol. All makes sense. The unit I have has a 5 yr warranty from Haigh Australia and is now 18 months old. So if the rattle gets worse I'll test the warranty. John
FollowupID: 868282

Sponsored Links