SpotGen3

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 13:45
ThreadID: 132220 Views:1928 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
has anyone purchased a Spot Gen3 and used it for tracking/ emergency response? How much for a subscription? Is this a good alternative to an epirb ? Looking for something that can be used in non mobile territory for peace of mind while 4 wd driving .

Cheers
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian T6 - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 15:07

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 15:07
Have one. Not used in emergency yet. Basic subscription us dollars is $165 which gives 4 levels of messaging and basic tracking. enhanced tracking extra $50 per year. Custom messages to sms cost extra email messages free. Emergency life threat messages free. Works well tracking web site or third party website.
Look at site
Findmespot.com

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 599088

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 17:22

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 17:22
The Spot system is an alternative to a PLB or EPIRB, but response to an SOS may be delayed.

If you activate a PLB or EPIRB registered in Australia, the call is sent directly to the Search and Rescue centre in Canberra and proceedings begin immediately.

If you use the SOS (911) function on a Spot device the call, containing your position, goes to, I think, Spot in Canada, or maybe some other authority in Canada. But it goes to Canada.

Australian Search and Rescue has a formal agreement with the people in Canada, whoever it is, whereby a call received with a position in Australia's Search and Rescue area of responsibility is relayed to the Australian SAR centre in Canberra. I am told by my mate in Aus SAR there may be up to a 20 minute delay.

That 20 minutes is the only real difference in the SOS/911 function.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599093

Reply By: Iza B - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 17:43

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 17:43
Have used an early Spot version and the tracking facility was fun for those following us on bushwalks. Nasty surprise when owner decided not to renew and received demand three years later because it was an opt out system. Too bad, pay up or else. Don't know what the current system is but I don't bother finding out.

Evil bay GME MT600 is good for 5 years, I believe. $214 plus $10 postage was the first on the list. If you are only concerned about emergency situations, maybe that sort of device is the better deal overall.

Iza
AnswerID: 599095

Reply By: RobAck - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 18:06

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 18:06
Unless you want the additional tracking and messing features an EPIRB is a much lower cost option

Rob
AnswerID: 599097

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 20:47

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 20:47
You would use Spot messaging well before you would use an EPIRB, EPIRBs aren't for inconvenience, they are for life threatening situations, not to save you a 10km walk to get fuel or new tyre!
FollowupID: 868295

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 18:55

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 18:55
On the basis of your comments the Spot3 is more suitable for you that a PLB or EPIRB. They are only emergency devices. Spot3 allows you to send predefined messages when ever you want.

They have another advantage over a PLB or EPIRB. If you need to hit the emergency button, not only does your signal go to search and rescue but other people of your choice receive a message and can themselves contact search and rescue to make sure that they (S&R) are on to it.

We have travelled with a Sopt2 for a number of years and plan to upgrade to Spot3 before our next outback trip. I would not leave home without it.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599102

Sponsored Links