The Things you struggle with as Age creeps in!.

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 20:29
ThreadID: 132225 Views:4385 Replies:21 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
At 65yrs of age I consider myself reasonably fit ,but man !!, the frustration sets in when trying to do things that was a walk in the park a few yrs ago.

Driving for instance, I have driven for 10hrs straight,and have still been very alert!,and used to scoff at the the take a break every three hrs motto,I am in that catergory now.!

Working on the 4by!,I lay underneath and the vertigo sets in instantly, that ends
that repair.lol. the patience runs out very quickly, just ask wifey..lol,.

Still operate a excavator safely, but the 10hr days are gone!.

I often whinge but realise now i am more fortunate than a lot of others,

Just do what you enjoy doing and for as long as you can is now my motto.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Tony H15 - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 20:49

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 20:49
Not necessarily age related but I recently came down with rheumatoid arthritis. So now I can't use my hands - so darn frustrating. Then of course there is the hearing, osteo arthritis, diabetes, what I wouldnt give to be young again.
AnswerID: 599106

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 20:58
Hi Tony, Diabeties has been a problem to me for a while, Gotta manage the good life a little better...Lol.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 868299

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 21:47

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 21:47
Ha ha ..

At ~64 you had the same issue. Though possibly a slight improvement as the benchmark then was 6 hrs...:)

Arrg!, Age sucks!. and at ~63...Doing your own mechanical work as the years go by!

It's never going to get easier...but as you say, many of us are more fortunate than others.

Make the most of it...and yes cut out the whinging :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 599109

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 23:58

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 23:58
All of us with greying temples are in the same boat: We can still do everything we used to do at 25, BUT:
Not at well
Not as quickly; and
Not at often.
Keith
AnswerID: 599112

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 15:38

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 15:38
The greying temples reminds me of another yarn, Keith.

Old fellar, like most of us responders to this thread, is in Centrelink and he's forgotten his license. No proof of age for these officious types.

He's being attended too by a mature age lady, who frowns severely when he explains the missing ID.

"Open your shirt!" She demands.
"What?" He queries.
"Open your shirt........I want to check the hairs on your chest"
He opens a couple of buttons on the shirt, she looks, and with a big smile says: "Yes, with those grey hairs, you're definitely over 60."

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868335

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 01:24

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 01:24
I'm still a decade and a bit younger than you, but I sympathise with your issues as they are starting to appear with me.

My biggest issue is my bloody eyesight, especially the fine work.
Glasses help, but it would be nice to have 20yo eyes once again.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 599113

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:29

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:29
I know how you feel!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868380

Reply By: Warren B - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 07:27

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 07:27
Friend has a tee shirt that says getting old is not for wimps...... I want one.. ha ha

Cheers bass
AnswerID: 599115

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 07:49

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 07:49
And wait - there's more!!

What we did all night........ takes all night to do!!! at 75
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599116

Follow Up By: axle - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:07

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:07
HaHaHa,....Very True,...
FollowupID: 868315

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:37

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:37
Or the joke doing the rounds, think it was back in late '60's, when Jackie Kennedy married Aristotle Onassis.

What did she feel on her wedding night?

Old age creeping on!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868318

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:06

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:06
Re the whinging-
A wise man once said "You've gotta be alive to complain"

Love that.
AnswerID: 599118

Follow Up By: Member - MARIC - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:45

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:45
I have a T Shirt with the wording

"Tell it how it is"

..... and I do
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868310

Reply By: Ozi M - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:41

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:41
Getting old sure beats the alternative :)
AnswerID: 599124

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:18

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:18
Just noticed that the advertisement at the top of the page for this post was for funeral insurance!!!!!!!
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868317

Reply By: noggins - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:25

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:25
The bit that annoys me the most ( apart from having to think "do I really need to do that " ) is how my legs seem to get longer every day.
Just to pick something up from below knee level seems to be a challenge.

But at 73 with fibromyalgia and the subsequent losses I still enjoy being alive

Ron
AnswerID: 599131

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:35

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:35
Yep. Everything takes a bit longer these days. But don't forget the old chestnut ....
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

AnswerID: 599132

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:44

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:44
I think it was Ronnie Corbett who said 'As I get older, when I bend down to tie my shoelaces I ask myself what else I can do while I'm down there'.

Yeah, lotsa stuff doesn't work the way it used to, but the very best present you can give yourself is to exercise and stay active, within your capacities. The strength of the research showing this is very clear. There are all sorts of benefits.
AnswerID: 599133

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:06

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:06
I totally agree with the sentiment here, but I often think back fondly of Mrs Landy’s father Archie, who we bid farewell to for the last time three years ago at an age of 99!

Perhaps, apart from good breeding, the key to his longevity was his ability to do most things even in his advancing years, albeit more slowly and I'm sure the reason was as simple as he always thought of himself as a “young bloke”.

At age 90, when he moved into a retirement village close-by to us he protested that it was full of old people and how would he fit in…

Is age just a state of mind where we allow our minds to impose limitations, the way Archie lived his life has ensured I ask myself that question regularly.

One of my favourite sayings goes something like this – “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you were…”.

Having just said that, my daily weight-lifting routine does take a touch longer most days, and for sure, I do find my hearing going….”What was that you said Mrs Landy” ;)

And whilst weight-lifting has always been a part of my life from an early age, I recommend weight-bearing exercise to all as we advance in age…

To close, this is a picture of a young Archie growing up to English parents in Bombay, India. This is how he thought and pictured himself right to the end!

Good day to all…Baz, The Landy
AnswerID: 599135

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 07:13

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 07:13
Baz, when my father was 92 he had a Uniry tract infection and a dose of pneumonia - it temporiarily gave him an associated delirium/vagueness. Like many old WW2 vets would not go near a doctor or hospital. Eventually an ambulance had to be summonsed to drag him off to hospital. When the paramedic was assessing him among other questions, he asked him how old he was. Dad was a bit unsure but he replied.."79 or 80?". .... When the ambo said "No Harry you are 92" He just crumpled and said "Oh Cripes....." Didn't know he had gotten old. He survived that one but passed away a few years later from the effects of a stroke - he would not take medications so may have made 100 if he took his blood thinning meds - who knows.
What did keep him and my mum alive and young in their heads was travelling and prospecting.... When that ambo asked him his age that night ...at 92 they were still living in their caravan on our property...Dad still drove very well prior to that. They assumed they could move on at any time if they needed to. He was 85 last time they went bush in North Qld (Towed the van every year from Sunshine Coast) to spend 3 - 4 months camped at Binbee digging for amethyst. He'd get the annex up and they would have a fire out the back and they would put in 6 to 8 hours a day digging and yapping to other gem hunters... They couldn't return the next year as the gem field was closed due to insurance and public liability concerns by the landowner...I do wonder when they would have eventually given up (and acted their age) if not for that closure.
... so yes you are only as old as you feel.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868407

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 08:08

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 08:08
That's a great story Kerry!

Thank's for sharing....Baz
FollowupID: 868409

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:08

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:08
Axle,

In about 7 weeks I'll become one of those septogeriatrics, but doubt if we, well at least I, will celebrating! :-(

Over 20 years ago my downhill slide started when a rather large bullock launched me off the loading ramp at the station yards, and I, with the agility of a feline, landed hard on my side and cracked my pelvis. Laid up for a month, and stepping very gingerly for the next 2 or 3 months. Only plus was it is better than a couple of broken ribs!

I walk regularly, don't smoke, try to eat properly and lay off the tonsil varnish........sometimes. Unless you've drawn a really bad hand in the game of Life, a good positive attitude also keeps your life on track. Even though I'm suppose to be retired, I can still do a 14hr day in a truck when I'm needed, or run one of the local mail services.

Yes, my legs have got longer too, but find the journey, getting off my shed floor, is far longer than it used to be.

Stay strong Gents,

Bob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 599136

Reply By: Ozi M - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 15:21

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 15:21
Reading some of these replies and it occurred to me that the very fact we are on this forum shows that we intend to be positive and enjoy our later years.

I am as deaf as a post with chronic health problems but I can still do my exercises and drive well so I am planning another small trip over winter.

Think I might drive from Newcastle to WA then come back along the Gibb River Road, I have been along it in a coach but never driven it so the time has come in 2016.

I will take a few months but at 66 I better do it now :)
AnswerID: 599148

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:14

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:14
-
I thought of several things that were not working as well as they once did...........
But I can't remember what they were!!!!!!

(With acknowledgement to Bob Y) lol
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 599177

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 12:58

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 12:58
Just trying to be positive here but.....one of my favourite quotes

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

cheers
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 599180

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 18:10

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 18:10
I have a t-shirt bought for me by one of my sons when I retired which says:
"I don't have to - You can't make me - I don't want to - I'm retired".

However really noticing how hard it is to put up the camper and pull it down. Not for short overnight trips but when we go away - the rack is full of stuff.

Now thing of an off-road Jayco Swan!
AnswerID: 599187

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 18:11

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 18:11
I hadn't realised that all you lot were so young.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 599188

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 19:33

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 19:33
Wasn't gunna answer this thread but I have had a couple of drinks. This job is completed. I can and don't have to blow 0000000 anymore unless I need to.

Me and my lovely wife walk as much as we can, at least 5K a day and sometimes a lot more. I have some broken bits due to horses that didn't believe that I was a good guy and I wouldn't lead them astray. They had other ideas and being bigger and probably smarter than me, they certainly made their mark.

Well, I know that the only way to keep on keeping on, is to keep as fit as you can You can use anything to stay fit anywhere and anytime and just fall down gracefully hopefully in the end.

AnswerID: 599190

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 20:08

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 20:08
There's advantages to being older! Young 'uns come to assist you! LOL

I was driving around the back streets of the industrial areas in the suburb where my workshop was - and I spotted several of these beaut big wooden crates by the side of the road!
The local locomotive rebuilders had put them out, after they'd received some big components from the U.S. in them.

I thought, Wow! - they'd be ideal, to store stuff in, in the pallet racking in the workshop!
So I stopped and thought about how I was going to load them onto the Hilux!

These crates were made of wood about 30mm thick, and they were about 1.1M each way in height, width and length.
I was struggling to get one onto the tray, when a group of young blokes drove past in a dual cab truck, hauling lawnmowers. I think they were the local parks and gardens blokes.
Next thing I know, these blokes have pulled up, and are giving me a hand to throw all these crates on!!

I dunno if it was my sad appearance, white hair, or what it was, that made them stop and help - but I'd guess it could have been, "Gee, look at that poor old codger struggling with those crates! We'd better stop and help before he kills himself! LOL

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 599192

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:51

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:51
Old ?? On the back of My favourite T shirt .

Old Guys Rule

Rare Vintage

Full bodied … Well Rounded

Yet Still Lively

Old Guys Rule Vineyards

The Finest Wines Come from The Oldest Vines

NAP TIME VALLEY
AnswerID: 599216

Sponsored Links