Thank Goodness EO is a Responsible Site

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 16:34
ThreadID: 132230 Views:3096 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Good Afternoon All

Last week I contacted Gluepot Reserve to let them know that we would be heading there on Sunday to do a story for EO and to get data for places as well as a track file.

Alarm bells were ringing when I said it was for a Four Wheel Drive site and when we arrived and met one of the resident Rangers on site, I let them know my name and where I was from. The lady never spoke to me originally but was aware that we were coming and asked what site it was for, as the last thing that they did not want was for Gluepot to be promoted and attract mobs of yahoo, irresponsible four wheel drivers tearing around the place and making a nuisance of themselves in this very quiet special place in the Riverland of South Australia.

Gluepot Reserve

When I explained about the merits of ExplorOz and how the site only promotes responsible activities as well as other things, the lady immediately knew about the site, saying, my husband is a member of ExplorOz. I was keen to meet her husband, so Barbara went over to their residence and brought John back and we had a great chat.

When I gave him my screen name, John was aware of Fiona and I and was able to meet me face to face. A few other well know EO members were mentioned like Mick O and Equinox, as John has followed our Blogs and has taken advise on places to see and visit from EO. John was a member for 5 years, but has now let his membership lapse, but still follows the site very regularly.

John and Barbara are from Yeppoon in Queensland and have been resident Volunteer Ranges since the 1st March and will finish at the end of April. I and all fellow EO responsible members wish them all the very best and safe travels and thank goodness that EO has a good reputation as it only promotes responsible activities.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: GG7777 - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 21:10

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 21:10
Stephen
hope you didn't make Gluepot sound tooooo good as my wife and I are booked as Assistant Rangers middle of next year and are hoping for a quiet peaceful place.
Murray
AnswerID: 599167

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 21:18

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 21:18
Hi Murray

Not sure if you have been there before, but this is John and Barbara's first stint and they got off to a real good start......lightning strike and started a fire in early March.

They followed the set down procedure and all services arrived and got the fire under control quite quick, thank goodness.

I have not written the story yet, but as you know, we are a responsible site and we do not get the riff raff here.

I do enjoy bird watching, but think the reserve would come alive with wilflowers in a good season.

I wish you all the very best and it should be a great experience.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868350

Reply By: GarryR - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:14

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:14
Hi there Stephen. Judy and I were there last year and camped west of the rangers hq. What a great spot to relax, bush walk and to watch the bird life. Good basic drop dunnies where we camped. We were the only ones camping at the time , as we just missed a small group of researchers dotted around the park. There were too many walk circuits to choose from, all with their own identity. Good road in and the hospitality was great. Was worth a look through the info room that they were just setting up telling you about the area. Will go back again and highly recommend the reserve.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599174

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:49

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:49
Hi Garry,

Yes with 3 campsites to select from, you will have the whole area to yourself. To do all the walks, you would want to be there for some time, as like you say there are so many to choose from.

One of the first question Barbara asked me was, " what did you think of the road in " to which I replied they were great and no problems at all.

The Rangers do a great job and for anyone interested in bird watching or just a totally quiet and solitude get away from everything, Gluepot as that perfect location.

Great to here you enjoyed the area.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868368

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 22:12

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 22:12
Strewth Stephen, me and Equinox 'reputable'......you'd better be careful bandying language like that around!

Nice post and what a great job all the volunteers do in supporting our National Parks and reserves, ensuring smooth operations and enjoyment of our natural wonders for the many visitors exploring the wide brown land each year.

A job well done I say.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 599254

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2016 at 07:27

Thursday, Apr 28, 2016 at 07:27
Hi Mick

Thank goodness you are more popular then you ever thought you were......lol

As we all know, EO only ever promotes respoible activities and for that very reason, the site is respected more than many ever think.

As with so many organisations, volunteer helpers are the backbone of its survival and Gluepot is another very good example of this, with the fantastic job they do, from the friendly greeting you get on arrival, throught to the maintenance and upkeep of all tracks and structures on the reserve.

All the best and safe travels.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868459

Sponsored Links