Van Trade In

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 13:28
ThreadID: 132279 Views:2638 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just traded my van and yet to drop it off.
The new one has a lot of gear included but as I am a fussy bugger, I have added or built lots of gadgets onto my existing van.

How much do I leave in the van as a trade in?
Obviously, enough pegs, poles and ropes, electrical cord, drain hoses etc. But do I leave the TV, booster, annexe de-flappers (I can use them in the new van), wheel chocks, extra hoses, cords and connectors, toolbox, jack, security clamp, annex table (I have 2), spare fuses etc etc.

Or just the basic stuff to enable one to go off and try the van?

Is that being mean if I keep stuff back? They won't know what I had in the van but I would like them to think well of me.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 13:49

Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 13:49
Dunno. If it's like a house, anything that's fixed stays.
AnswerID: 599363

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 14:00

Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 14:00
Bill, Leave it all the detailers at the trade in place will love You for ever. LOL.
If there is stuff that is specific to Your old van & no benefit to the newbie fair enough to leave, but will probably be removed by the dealer anyway.
Enjoy the new van
Mike.
AnswerID: 599364

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 14:11

Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 14:11
Keep anything that will be of use in the new van.....anything !!

Out of that list you provided, the only things I would leave would possibly be the TV and booster....IF it was on a bracket that is bolted to the van !!
AnswerID: 599365

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 14:17

Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 14:17
To me it would be as how the dealer viewed it and on what he gave you the price.

When I traded I only left the Annexe which was part of the deal and the Jack and spare wheel. Kept EVERYTHING else.
AnswerID: 599366

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 22:42

Saturday, Apr 30, 2016 at 22:42
Agree with Tom

However you presented the vehicle for trade is how it should be delivered...

...unless the dealer agrees to you removing them.

So the best answer to your question is ring the dealer and ask him what he wants left on. You may be suprised - he could say take it all.

How would you cope if when you pick up your new trailer, have of what you saw is removed by the dealer.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 868602

Reply By: Erad - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 08:13

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 08:13
When we bought our current van, we left all our stuff which I had customised to suit us on the old van. When we went to pick up the new van, we noted that the dealer had stripped all our stuff (awning covers, extended step, bike carrier etc) off it.

I would work on the principle that if you made it and you need it for your new van, strip it before you get a trade-in, but if you couldn't do that, tell teh dealer what you intend to take. If it is too late, take it anyway because the dealer probably will strip it anyway. Obviously leave the spare wheel and anything which was originally fitted to the van, but take everything else.
AnswerID: 599388

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 09:50

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 09:50
Agree with all of what has been said above, trade it as it was when you purchased it, when we traded the last van we took every thing out that wasn't in it when purchased.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868610

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 09:52

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 09:52
Hi Bill

At Renmark this Easter, a chap next to us traded his van on a new van in Mildura.

The dealer that traded his van told him to take everything we wanted out of his old van, as just like a car, he would not get any more trade in with the many extra accessories that he added. When asked why was the caravan dealer so honest, the answer was so simple.....

If it's not in the van and the new owner wants it, I sell the item or items to them and make more money out of the extra add on sales.

The items that you mentioned above, if you need them, keep them, as the dealer would not have given you any more money as a trade in value. Think of it this way, when you trade your vehicle in, do they give you any more money if your fuel tank is full or empty?.....no way

One of my sons worked in a car dealer and when a car was traded in with many good accessories, the seller would get no extra money for them, yet they would strip them out and then sell them off and make extra money.

My thoughts and if I was you, keep the lot.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599389

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 10:53

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 10:53
Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments.
I guess if it was a private sale, the extras would count for a better sale result. But I can see dealers wanting to make a dollar.
The dealer in my case hasn't seen the van. He quoted sight unseen so he won't know what was on the van.
bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 599394

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 11:13

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 11:13
Bill - Send him a photo of the 'van up on blocks, with all the wheels missing, and tell him, it's now ready to collect! [;-)

After all, probably a third of the vans around, are up on blocks, and haven't moved for years! [;-)

It's a rare and very trusting dealer who will buy sight unseen!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 868613

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 13:45

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 13:45
Hi Bill

If you have made up your own accessories, you know that they work for you. If they are going to surplus to your requirements, sell them and put the extra dollars into your own pocket, as like you said, the dealer has not see your trade in van.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868621

Follow Up By: harryopal - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 16:15

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 16:15
If the dealer has simply agreed to a trade in sight unseen he has obviously made his offer based on the details of the basic model and that has nothing to do with the extras if he is unaware of what they are. Under those circumstances it would be perfectly correct to remove the extras.
After my Landcruiser motor blew up I sought a price from a wrecking company and the dealer made an offer which I accepted. There were a number of extras which were on the vehicle when the dealer saw it such as a special purpose electrical lead from the battery to the rear tray for a refrigerator and a two way radio. I asked would he mind if I removed these and he was quite happy that I do that.
In your case I can't see that you have any kind of ethical dilemma about removing extras when the price offered was for the basic model.
FollowupID: 868666

Reply By: tribe-of-5 - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 07:23

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 07:23
I worked in thw Rv industry for a few years. Vans that were traded were stripped of anything that was not original so if you can use it or sell it, take it out.
AnswerID: 599456

Sponsored Links