Russian truck

Submitted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 20:39
ThreadID: 132339 Views:4031 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I want one of these all donations accepted.

https://youtu.be/3j7n00Xx38o

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bill j (VIC) - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 21:00

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 21:00
A bit more info on the Sherp . as above

When we initially saw the Sherp ATV rolling its way around the Internet, our first thought was that it must be the work of a designer, not a real vehicle. The compact body tucked between ginormous off-road tires just looked too odd to be real. But the Russian vehicle is indeed real and it's one hell of a way to drive over anything short of a sheer cliff face.

Led by technologist Aleksei Garagashian, the minds behind the Sherp ATV – minds that are almost certainly a little twisted – got together in 2012 to develop a vehicle with supreme terrain navigation capabilities. They finished up the design last year and are now showing the vehicle at expos like the upcoming Hunting and Fishing in Russia show.

The Sherp ATV isn't just an off-roader; it's an off-track vehicle designed to navigate over terrain that hasn't benefited from even the most basic human clearing – through the heart of brush fields, into swamps, over deadfall-strewn forest floors, and up and over talus fields. Its positively massive tires stand 63 in (160 cm) tall and provide the size and traction needed to roll over and through virtually anything in the way.

With nearly two feet (60 cm) of ground clearance, the Sherp underbody glides over obstacles that would eat up lesser vehicles. A tire-inflation system helps the vehicle adjust to the varying demands of the ground below.

And the Sherp ATV even swims, with the terrain-grappling ridges on the tires doubling as paddles. Drainage valves shed water after the Sherp ATV gets back on land.

If you think the ultra-rugged, 134 x 99 x 91-in (340 x 252 x 230-cm, L x W x H) Sherp ATV requires some kind of massive engine to shove it forward, you'll be rather shocked to learn that the whole thing is powered by a 1.5-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel with just 44 hp (33 kW) on tap. Though massive to the eye, the Sherp ATV weighs as little as 2,866 lb (1,300 kg), and that small engine and the five-speed manual transmission can get it going up to 28 mph (45 km/h) on land and 3.7 mph (6 km/h) in the water.

Sherp drivers also rely on skid steering, whereby the two wheels on each side are locked in synchronization, and can be driven independently of the pair on the opposite side.

The Sherp ATV seats four people inside its steel body and even has two seat belts. It can carry up to 2,200 lb (1,000 kg).

The St. Petersburg-built Sherp ATV soft-top base model starts at US$65,000. Options include an onboard generator and 50-liter (13.2 US gal) in-wheel fuel tanks to augment the 58-liter (15.3-US gal) fuel capacity. The Sherp AV is also available for lease, though what we're really hoping for is day rentals.

Watching the Sherp ATV in action is absolute magic – it speeds through the swamp, pulls itself out of the water onto ice after a swim, and slices through tall brush. After watching the video below, we're already reserving it a spot on our off-road vehicles of the year list for 2016.

AnswerID: 599673

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:07

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:07
Bill - Ha Ha! The Russkies are 65-plus years behind the times!

Here is the original skid-steer! It's called a LeTourneau LW16 Tournadozer - and it operates on precisely the same principle as the Russkie version!

LeTourneau Tournadozer

R.G LeTourneau built thousands of these things - and even the Australian Army was equipped with them. I've even got an official Army licence to drive one!

The LW16 is the biggest mongrel of a thing to drive, with ride bounciness that would put a Landrover Series 1 to shame!
However, they were very nimble and had incredible 4-wheel, air-operated, multi-plate disc brakes, that would lock all 4 wheels from top speed!

The second worst part of the LeTourneau's was their 2-stroke GM diesel power plant! They would drive you insane with that GM (Detroit Diesel) 2-stroke scream!

R.G. LeTourneau was one of the most inventive blokes that ever lived, and many of his earthmoving and mechanical inventions are still in use today, or based on designs he patented in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 599675

Follow Up By: Member - bill j (VIC) - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:20

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:20
Very interesting Ron but i don't think i'd like to try it on ice don't think it would float. :))

FollowupID: 868940

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:23

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:23
Well, we could always provide you with an LW16, with a fully welded hull! - and you'd be right to go floating, then! LOL
FollowupID: 868941

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:37

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:37
Nearly all the earthmoving equipment manufacturers copied the LW16 in some form or another.
Caterpillar produced their first "skid-steer" in the form of the DW-6 model in the late 1950's.

This was essentially a Cat D6 bulldozer, with the tracks and track frames removed, and two fixed chain-cases installed (similar to the drive on a tandem-drive motor grader, but without the central chain-case swivel of the grader).

The rest of the bulldozer drivetrain was left as-was, and the steering clutches and brakes normally used to steer the dozer, were simply used to skid the wheels.

Cat built several hundred DW-6's for use in the Florida canefields, for hauling cane trucks - but it wasn't a major production model, and the DW-6 is now a "collector item" amongst the tractor collectors.

Cat DW-6 hauling scraper

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 868942

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 05:18

Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 05:18
Ron, glad others didn't copy the infamous LeTourneau scraper "The widow maker"
FollowupID: 868946

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 08:18

Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 08:18
Read a biography of Le Tourneau some years back, Ron. Worth a read if you ever come across it.

Station I was on in the Kimberley bought an LW16(after I left), and used it mostly for opening up creek crossings, clearing etc. They also tried grading roads but it was a failure until they got the idea of bolting "shoes" under the blade, and that was enough to keep the blade from continually digging into the road surface.

Thanks,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868949

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 08:40

Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 08:40
Bob, depending on the country, property I worked on used to make shoes for the stick rakes that stopped the same thing happening. Most times you could just stick the rake on float and enjoy the scenery, that is until a stick came round the end of the blade and tried to turn you into a kebab.

Nothing wrong with a few speed whoops to keep locals speed down. LOL.
FollowupID: 868951

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 10:02

Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 10:02
9900Eagle - Yes, the early LeTourneau "Tournapull" motorised scraper certainly did earn a reputation as a widow-maker.

The problem was the post supporting the ball on the gooseneck was too thin, and the post would fracture with age and hours, and the tractor and the prime mover would separate - quite often at speed.
The result was the scraper riding up over the prime mover and killing the operator.

It wasn't helped by the fact that most scraper operators are quite mad! - and they drive like the craziest speedway drivers!
It was a common saying amongst us older earthmovers, that the 1st requirement to become a scraper operator, was to have your brain removed! - because the constant scraper bounce would shake it out, anyway! LOL

The old LeTourneau motorised scrapers were often driven at speeds up to 50mph (80kmh).
The operators would throw them into angel gear (they only ran a foot clutch and 5 speed "crash" gearbox) on long downhill runs doing cut-to-fill, and they would fairly wind up speed on the downhill leg.
They had those fantastic 4 wheel multi-plate disc brakes, so the operators felt they had the ultimate earthmoving "race cars".

Then LeTourneau sold out to Westinghouse Air Brake company in 1953 and WABCO removed all the LeTourneau disc brakes - and replaced them with WABCO drum brakes, that were next to useless!

The reason given was the complexity and cost of the LeTourneau braking system, and the fact that some other poisonous materials - besides asbestos - were used in them, making them a real health risk.
The simple fact remained that WABCO drum brakes still used asbestos brake shoes, anyway!

Bob Y. - Yes, bulldozing with the Tournadozers was a black art. You spent all your time trying to stop them from bouncing, and making waves with the blade.

They did much better as scraper-pushers, whereby hooking the blade into the scraper push block would stop the bouncing.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 868957

Follow Up By: Member - bill j (VIC) - Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 10:22

Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 10:22
Hi Ron very interesting. my dad drove Caterpillar Dozers for the SEC in gippsland
in the 40's not sure which model they were.
FollowupID: 868958

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:12

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 22:12
Man oh man, a bit like baby landrovers (old models) that have been on steroids for at least 2 years... lol
Be interesting to drive one.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 599676

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 09:31

Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 09:31
G'day Fred, yes it would be interesting to see it roll across the Mt Bundy flood plains in the wet season, cross Burrell Ck and go to Champagne Hill, cross the Adelaide River and hope a Croc didn't rip your rubber off..
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 868953

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 11:52

Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 11:52
Here's the link to the Russian Sherp ATV website, in English. It would be interesting to see how they'd go in desert conditions.

Sherp ATV

They utilise quality components, in the form of a 4 cyl, 1.5L Kubota diesel (V1505), and a Sachs transmission.
However, a top speed of 45kmh is pretty limiting for any serious distance.
I could see good potential for them, for Search and Rescue in tough conditions, and they certainly appear to be ideal for the marshy, swampy terrain that exists a lot in the Northern Arctic and sub-Arctic regions.

The U.S. Army has experimented for decades - as far back as the 1930's - for ATV designs suitable for marshy or swamp conditions.
Many an Army has fallen foul in their plans when confronted by huge marshes or swamps.

The U.S. Army came up with the Marsh Screw - essentially a motorised hull fitted with huge augers each side.
They are great in real slop conditions, but pretty useless when the ground becomes hard.
This U.S. Army prototype was built by Chrysler in 1964 - but the Army deemed it less than successful overall, and the idea was dropped.

Marsh Screw

There have been other "Marsh Screws" built by the Russians and by mining companies working on salt lakes, and by companies doing construction or exploring in marshy areas. Overall, though, they are limited to the marsh country.

When I was contracting in the W.A. Goldfields in the late 1960's/early 1970's, the French exploration company, Union Minière, had a couple of the Cuthbertson tracked Landrovers, that were used on the salt lakes around Kambalda and Norseman, when drilling was being undertaken on the salt lakes.

These were very effective off-road rigs, but they were seriously speed-limited, and they very rarely left the lake beds.

Cuthbertson tracked Landrover

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 599691

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 14:06

Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 14:06
I saw this in Scotland in 2014.
Available for sale as a bolt-on for a variety of vehicles and road legal.

Short video clip

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 868971

Sponsored Links