Interference to am radio from Waeco

Submitted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 13:12
ThreadID: 132366 Views:2766 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have interference to the radio whenever the fridge comes on. Tried adding a capacitor but still no good.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 14:01

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 14:01
Radio interference can be quite an issue and may be very hard to solve without right stuff.

Early Waeco's were very bad , later ones are less of an issue.

Your capacitor may or may not do anything - where was it fitted, inside on the Waeco control panel ?

Another thing that helps is a ferrite supression choke (Jaycar) which is in 2 halves and can clip together over the power wire (you can also loop the power wire thru them a few times, this helps if noise is running up the power lead.)

However the first thing to do is to try and see how the interference gets to the radio.

To test this, with the fridge in the car, disconect it from the cars 12v power and run it off a small battery pack.

If the noise goes away then the interference gets to the radio via its 12v wiring, and we would then look at earthing, suppression etc .

If noise doesn't mostly go away then its being radiated into the cars antenna, and working on fridge will give best results (after making sure aerial is as it should be).

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 599805

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 15:49

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 15:49
Wot he said ^^^^

Good advice Robin.
FollowupID: 869079

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 21:01

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 21:01
Probably not much help but I have an "original" Waeco and have never had interference problems (Jackaroo with a Kenwood radio/CD unit). I installed a power outlet in the rear and don't run it off the ciggie plug though.
AnswerID: 599826

Sponsored Links