Outboard mount & transport challenge?

Submitted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 17:59
ThreadID: 132390 Views:6170 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
We have an inflatable boat that we use for inshore fishing, snorkelling and exploring while we travel. The setup has worked quite well for us so far we don’t have to tow anything and its fairly light.

We have a Trayon camper that sits on the heavy duty alloy tray with steel sides, most of the time when we are using the boat we remove the camper as it free stands on 4 legs and leave it where we are camping. This allows us if needed to use the ute tray to transport the boat to wherever we want to launch it. The problem I am trying to make work better is related to transporting, mounting and unmounting the outboard motor (26kg).

Currently we transport the motor on the inflatable transom which works fine but has 2 main issues.
1. We have to double handle the motor for transporting. Remove motor from transom, put inflatable on tray, climb onto the tray, then put motor on transom, tie down. When removing, untie, remove motor from transom and put on tray, climb off the tray, put motor off tray, put inflatable on ground, then put motor on transom, fit fuel line, tank etc.
2. The second smaller issue is the transom is slowly getting damaged by the outboard as sometimes the inflatable launching spots are down some fairly rough tracks.

As the outboard motor is awkward to move around I would like to mount and secure this to the tray directly somehow rather than on the inflatable transom. I would only have to do this once and could be left on there for longer periods and even locked on there when camper is off. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to work out a good way to do this and I am hoping for some ideas on how to best do this or any places in Melbourne that might be able to help us with sorting this.

Our thoughts so far for outboard and workable tray mount locations (red marks on photos to provide context):
1. Create a mount of metal or wood (lighter) that attaches between the tray hurdle and front mount or kick board of tray, then somehow attach the outboard to it.
2. Make some type of padded arm that attaches to the steel sides of the tray that can hold the outboard in place and could be added removed after camper is removed.

Other locations considered: Behind seats on floor of ute would be easy to lift in an out (usually too much stuff in rear seat and don’t really want salt water in the vehicle), on roof rack but its more awkward to do this and sometimes it’s already loaded.

Some design considerations (see photos also): Ideally part or all of the outboard mount could be left on the tray while travelling and would not interfere with the camper when mounted, the construction should be as light as possible as it only needs to hold 26kgs. Ideally it could be used with the full length motor cover we use now to keep clean.

FYI: the inflatable has folding wheels mounted to the transom making it pretty easy to wheel around when needed to launch etc. The outboard when travelling is transported mainly on the floor of the Trayon Camper which has worked really well. The safety gear, rods etc go in the back of the ute and then straight into the inflatable usually just before its launched.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 06:21

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 06:21
The diameter of the tube your headboard is made from looks like it will be too big for the throat of the outboard mount to slip over. On the orthodox headboards we have bolted a piece of three by two hardwood just under the top of the headboard. Tighten the motor clamps on that and away you go.
You can achieve the same, just have to mod your shiny headboard loop or put the original one back there (assuming there ever was one). Failing that a small frame or just a piece of joist sized timber could be bolted straight onto the existing headboard to carry the engine in the space you have drawn.
AnswerID: 599943

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 09:38

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 09:38
Hi GDC, I like the sound of what you are saying but I am not sure I understand it.
The three by two piece of wood must be wider than the headboard loop (hurdle) for this to work is that correct? If so that would have been ideal and so simple.
I wonder if we might be able to something similar but on top of the hurdle. The problem I suspect would be that the piece of wood may need to be approx 120mm high to handle the outboard throat depth and round tube. Its certainly something to investigate as I hadn't thought of using the hurdle in this way.

How would this be done? "Failing that a small frame or just a piece of joist sized timber could be bolted straight onto the existing headboard to carry the engine in the space you have drawn."

Unfortunately this was the original hurdle that came with the tray so I would prefer to stick with it if possible, you are correct in saying its to wide for the throat of the motor to slip over. I will go back to the tray supplier and see what else they do though.
FollowupID: 869269

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:45

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:45
A simple metal angle could bolt vertically on the front of the tray and a headstock of timber/metal/poly (similar to your trolley headstock) could bolt between the hurdle and the angle. All of this would be on the front side of the tray so it would not impede the camper. At a pinch you could mount the motor backwards and leave it in situ while the camper is in place. You would lose the use of the suicide door though.
FollowupID: 869278

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 11:03

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 11:03
Thanks for the quick reply, we definitely don't want to lose the use of the suicide doors as they are used constantly.

The camper is off in the situation where we need to transport the outboard on the hurdle so it could sit behind the hurdle. I suspect we may need 2 bits of wood or similar and maybe with an angle bracket. One permanently attached either under or over the hurdle that doesn't interfere when the camper is mounted and a second bracket/wood that could easily attach to the first piece and then attach the outboard to it somehow.
FollowupID: 869281

Reply By: Gnomey - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 08:36

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 08:36
G'day Sam
I've got Zodiac as a fly fishing platform. Love using the boat. Hate launching and recovery because everything has to be put in and on and taken out and off.

Usually I launch, moor, camp nearby and recover when I'm ready to move on.

Looking at your location options for a motor rack to handle some rough going and the other specs of it being easily removable/installable etc I don't have any bright ideas except, 'twere, me I'd be looking at a knockdown trailer as the solution.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 599952

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 09:54

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 09:54
Thanks Mark, definitely not looking at a trailer at this stage (no tow bar either) even though I considered one before I found these removable Wheels

They work very well, it isn't ideal packing the boat each time but its really just a few things these days so its okay, its only moving the outboard that I find a pain at the moment.
FollowupID: 869271

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 08:54

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 08:54
I suggested the trailer because carrying the motor outside the line of the vehicle didn't seem like a good idea (except in open country) and it would need to be lashed to stop the motor flapping around. Not really a good or simple solution.

Mounted vertically using the chrome bar, I couldn't see the slideon being able to sit flush against the headboard without first removing a motor bracket. Doable with bolts or u-bolts but a fiddle and maybe not secure enough on a rough track.

Q&D solution is forget vertical mounting and lay it down, transom bracket up, across the tray with padding to stop rubs. Lash with rope or tiedowns using the rails or fitted tie points like strap saddles or eyes. A spiral wrap around leg and transom bracket might be enough with the boat loaded stern first or bow first to provide the best packing option.

Cheers
Mark

FollowupID: 869339

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 13:22

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 13:22
Thanks Mark, I have a couple of ideas that have hatched from the various thread replies which is great. One of them I have tried to do a rough mock up.
Red line being the lay of the motor and the horizontal yellow sitting flat on the back corner of our tray. If I can keep this very simple, easy to assemble, light and store in a small space it might work well. Either way a bit more work to do yet as time permits.

FollowupID: 869351

Reply By: sweetwill - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 09:32

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 09:32
Hello Sam.
Iooking at picture 1 there seems to be enough space for a steel bracket to be put in place to hold a motor behind the rear wheel "drivers side"?
AnswerID: 599955

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:19

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:19
Hi Sweetwill, I assume you are saying underneath the tray, behind the mud flap and before the tail lights. You are right in that there could be just enough room (maybe slight angle required) as we do have a slightly longer tray than standard.

I could see this being good in that I don't have to lift the motor onto the tray and bad as getting it under the tray might be an awkward position to bend down to.
If the bracket was extendable so the motor could be easily fitted.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how this could be done?
FollowupID: 869275

Reply By: Member - Iain H1 - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:17

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:17
G,day Sam, have you considered the alternative of a purpose built bracket for the O/B in the under tray behind the rear wheels?
Iain
AnswerID: 599961

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:23

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:23
Hi Iain, I hadn't until the previous post if that is what he was meaning. It does sound like a good idea.

I would love to see a picture of something similar to get an idea as to how it might work.
FollowupID: 869276

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:34

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:34
I have a removeable bracket that I simply bolt into the rear canopy of the vehicle when I want to take the outboard. The outboard attaches to it using its own bracket.

Perhaps you could do similar, works well enough.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 599962

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:43

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:43
Thanks, not sure how it would apply to my situation as it would need to be attached the tray somehow and potentially be removable. If you could provide a more detailed shot of the bracket when convenient maybe I could see how it could be applied.
FollowupID: 869277

Reply By: Sam39 - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 12:21

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 12:21
Another alternative might be a piece of square tube in here and somehow mount the outboard on a bracket. Has anyone seen or aware of a system that could make use of this existing mount?
AnswerID: 599973

Reply By: Sam39 - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 10:10

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 10:10
Thanks for all the replies, ended up doing this.

I will also strap the bottom of the motor with one of the ratchet straps that holds the inflatable in position. The mount is very strong and the outboard should travel well.
Its also okay to lift onto the tray/mount and will save me have to climb on to the tray and move the outboard around.

AnswerID: 600463

Sponsored Links