Small Tinnies

Submitted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 21:11
ThreadID: 132447 Views:3710 Replies:12 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Only a couple weeks ago I posted a comment on a post about little tinnies in the Top End, seems the southerners won't learn and be Croc wise because the Crocs are WISE, sadly here's the latest report about entering the Northern waters in little Tinnies.
Man fights off crocodiles

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 21:49

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 21:49
Hey Doug,

Seems like 5 guys from Melbourne didn't read your post about tinnies on Cape York either, if the crocs don't get you the coppers will.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 600217

Follow Up By: Kevin G6 - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 18:02

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 18:02
Yeah that tinnie turned out to be a 7m cruiser, go figure the media hey!
FollowupID: 869575

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 21:58

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 21:58
G/Day Doug, when we move to Darwin in 1975, dad bought a 12 foot tinny, today I go out in a 5 metre tinny.

Those lizards are just a little bit bigger and a lot less scared.

Steve.

AnswerID: 600219

Reply By: tonysmc - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 22:12

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 22:12
I believe we are going to find a bit more to this story as time goes on. A bit like the last guy attacked on the Daly, that changed their story and then didn't want to talk to the press anymore. http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/witnesses-say-anzac-day-croc-attack-victim-camped-less-than-5m-from-waters-edge/news-story/f35568a2cb3f1dbe80c1f9acb4e74bf1
Call me a sceptic but if a boat overturned wouldn't your spanners and spark plugs be the first thing to sink? or did he swim under the upturned boat to get them?? I know there are plenty of crocodiles in that river and I was fishing there last week and I can understand being terrified of them if in the water, however I not sure if there really any crocs involved here.
Sad that someone drowned and condolences to friends and family
AnswerID: 600220

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 22:34

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 22:34
Haa yes I was thinking the same, where did the spark plugs come from

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869516

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:44

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:44
The radio version is he get to the bank in the mud and was reaching under the boat to grab anything he could to throw at the crocs as they advanced. 70 odd years old? Scary.
FollowupID: 869528

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:36

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:36
You can just picture the croc/s swimming towards old mate, thinking "he'll look good with a side dish of Barra".

Then when the spark plugs start flying: "......oh, it's only an NGK! Good thing it wasn't a Bosch, might have knocked my eye out"

Anyway, how many spark plugs did he have? Maybe it was a V8 outboard........?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 869537

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 13:43

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 13:43
Bob, I think you are onto something here.

Definitely "Bosch" plugs as they came from an "SS" commadore and the crocs would have been worried about being put in a Prison HandbagFarm.
FollowupID: 869550

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:30

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:30
3 meter tinny with 2 blokes and crab pots! Sounds a little too cramped. I know there are lizards in the creek but this story sounds a little suss at the moment. Pulled the spark plugs out of the motor!! Crap....
AnswerID: 600229

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:48

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:48
G'day Bigfish
I agree ,after reading through the news report again I come to this (One of the men managed to climb on board the upturned boat, but his friend became trapped under the capsized craft.) ..If a person was under a tinnie it would be very easy to exit , I think the police will need to do a really good look at this event.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869522

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 14:16

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 14:16
The pic the ABC showed of the supposed boat indicates it was not a tinnie as we understand it (a basic aluminum with a tank and outboard) - it was a more substantial boat but with news reports these days who knows.

Likewise the 50yo guy drowned and was not taken by a croc - with all the crocs around attacking the body was not taken. Again all a bit strange.
AnswerID: 600240

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 16:06

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 16:06
The channel 7 news showed a 3.7 m 'tinnie' and said the tools and spark plugs were in a bucket of spares.
FollowupID: 869566

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 22:47

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 22:47
Prime showed the tinny - different one to the ABC and more like the initial description - not sure I would sail it in my bath tub. I cannot see how the guy got caught under it but maybe got caught up in the large number of crab pots that it appears it was carrying.
FollowupID: 869593

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 19:11

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 19:11
Saw a film of the boat on news report. Certainly not made for top end creeks. Kitchen chair for one seat and large esky. Bugger all room to move. Croc didnt take anyone. Still sounds suss to me. Just a pity that bloke lost his life when in reality if they had of been properly prepared and in a decnt tinny they both could have spent this evening eating fresh mud crab. Shame .

Having seen thousands of lizards in dozens of various river systems, creeks, seas and billabong I wouldnt go anywhere on the water unless the boat had high sides and a minimum 4.5 meters..
AnswerID: 600255

Reply By: dad1340 - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 07:54

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 07:54
Apart from the need, as always, to wait for all the facts to come out; my view is you can't protect people from themselves.
If you provide a Salty with a feed he get's it. Simple as that.
The Croc breeding season is at the tail end with territorial issue's still full-on.

Like the story of "Sweetheart" that lifted Tinnie's up by the Motors dumping the contents into the creek.
It done that on many occasions but ate no-one - territorial behaviour again.

I've seen Car-Topper type 3m Tinnies in Croc area's and just shake my head. The poor old Croc must be shaking his head too, but for different reasons.

And it's not just the Top End; we were coming back from an outside fishing trip into Platypus Bay at Fraser Island with fading light on the Plotter, when the wife noticed a small red light to Port. Turned out to be a cigarette.
I shut down and idled over to a 3.5m tinnie with about a foot of Freeboard.
I called to the two blokes fishing what the **** were they doing 4nm from shore with no navigation lights? (I could have cut them in two if we were not vigilant) They just laughed and offered me a Rum. The silly buggers were camped at Wathumba Inlet with the Midgees and go well out into the Bay each year. "No worries" they assured me.

Most people do the sensible thing but you don't hear about them.
You cannot legislate to protect people from themselves to cover the rest.

Such is life.

Cheers

dad

AnswerID: 600272

Reply By: Rojac - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 09:48

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 09:48
Looked like a punt, got to wonder if there was any beer involved.

There was also a report that pro crabbers warned them about going out in that small boat of which was ignored.

You would think had the thing capsized that all the tools and everything else would be at the bottom of the river, sad for the bloke that drowned but seems to be a lot of inconsistencies
AnswerID: 600279

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:27

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:27
I think the boat may have been over loaded and is too small and has little freeboard. It also looks like a flat bottom tinnie which wouldn't help. I would think a deep v tinnie around 4.2 metres with high freeboard would be the minimum for me.

http://www.news.com.au/national/survivor-ray-mccumber-tells-of-using-spanners-fists-to-keep-crocodiles-away/news-story/4c65ead1b78d164919efab4a6234dcde
AnswerID: 600288

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, May 20, 2016 at 12:07

Friday, May 20, 2016 at 12:07
Deep v tinnies are much less stable than flatter bottom ones. I don't think a croc would gave a rats if your boat is 500mm longer or 150mm higher sided than another either.
If a croc is going to ram you, you'll be better off in a small catamaran or rigid inflatable which both carry their max stability around the outside of the vessel.
FollowupID: 869679

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, May 20, 2016 at 12:30

Friday, May 20, 2016 at 12:30
Agree on the rigid inflatable but freeboard is relevant in this sort of scenario unless you encounter a croc that wants to jump? Anyway they were in a punt with minimal freeboard and most likely over loaded which begs the question why were there no life jackets being worn? It is law in Victoria now that in smaller boats you must be wearing a PFD1. In this case the drowning would never have occured imo
FollowupID: 869680

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:34

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:34
The whole story does seem a bit wrong. If a big croc bumped the boat and tipped them out, one would think it would have grabbed the first bloke in the water and took him away.

Maybe the 2nd bloke thought a croc bumped the boat, when it was just his mate falling over.
I've known of several instances (including a former farmer client) of blokes who had heart attacks in boats, and consequently fell overboard.
As you get older, it becomes much easier to lose your balance.

Found this out just the other day when I was standing on the back fence lopping trees.
I had been putting one foot on the top of the Super Six fence and one on a Cape Wedding bush trunk that had been lopped level with the top of the fence.

I shifted position and put my foot out to stand on the Cape Wedding bush trunk, and it shifted a little, and I did a swan dive into the ground! - went down like a bag of sheep manure!

Couldn't believe how easily it happened, normally I'm as sure-footed as any fit bloke. Luckily, I landed in a pile of dirt and thick leaf litter and very little damage was done.
Makes you realise how much more careful you have to be about balance as you get older. I've already learnt the lesson about wearing good quality footwear!

Standing up in a tinny is risky for boat balance at the best of times. Add in lugging crab pots and whatever else he might have had - lost his footing - doesn't even need to be a heart attack.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 600289

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 14:21

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 14:21
But that tinnie came with its own dining chair.Maybe the Croc was just coming for Dinner .DRONGOS ...
SORRY RIP OLD FELLA I AM NOT THAT MEAN.
Maybe warning now to others be Crockwise and have a decent sized boat.....
AnswerID: 600297

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 16:08

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 16:08
I notice on the news that the police are treating the event as a maritime accident, and not a croc attack. I think that speaks volumes for what happened.

They just happened to have an upset in a tinny in a croc-infested area.

What gets me, is the old bloke couldn't swim, yet he wasn't wearing a life jacket?

Little wonder that he drowned, then. There are always those people that believe safety precautions are only for wusses.
FollowupID: 869621

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 20:51

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 20:51
Not sure I'm on board with many of the comments here. I've used my 3.7m Porta-Bote in many croc inhabited waters and felt completely safe. Admitted, I do feel the Porta-bote has a stability advantage over small tinnies (more flexible, it bends rather than tips if it bumps anything- though the flexing takes some getting used to). The Porta-bote has a low freeboard but the seating is low, it is incredibly tough and stable.

If the boat (punt?) pictured on most news sites is indeed the one in question I'd say the problem lies more in how it is used and the gear on board. High seats, standing in a rigid boat, poor quality fittings. I wouldn't go out in that. I used to hire tinnies from Nobbies at Coroboree (before I purchased the Porta-Bote) and have been around some pretty impressive (large) lizards in both types. Caution and common sense mean more than an extra metre on the boat.

Mind you, this year I'm taking my 5.8 metre Whittley! Anyone want to suggest how it will fare in the shallow waters of Coroborree?
AnswerID: 600316

Sponsored Links