Alko 4 leaf shackle Springs

Submitted: Friday, May 28, 2004 at 16:26
ThreadID: 13247 Views:3077 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

A CT Mfg is telling me that his 4 leaf Alko Shackle Springs are adequate for his mid range off road camper trailer. Base price of $6k but nearly $11k when properly kitted out.

He says the weight of the unit is 550 kg unloaded and that the Alko Springs are rated at 1100 kg.

The 4 leaf set up worries me a bit. Seems a bit light on. Have no idea of their length, but they are definitely only 4 leaf. Lay on the ground and checked I did.

I have just spent an hour trolling through the archives and found a lot of good info but nothing about 4 leaf set ups. Lots about Alko etc and using car springs instead of trailer springs etc. but little about Alko Shackle spring exception the mention thet Jayco used them, but the 7 leaf variety.

The CT in question is a Camper Factory one made here in Brisbane.

Any comments would be muchly appreciated

Ta

Magnus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 17:40

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 17:40
The maximum axle load rating has to be at least 120% of the ATM (aggregate trailer mass), that is the total laden weight. Springs that are too heavy can be as big a problem as ones that are too light, inasmuch as thay won't flex enough & your load will shake to bits.
AnswerID: 60661

Follow Up By: Magnus 2 - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 08:51

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 08:51
Thanks Shaker. Know what you mean about stuff being shaken to bits and destroyed. Never linked it to the springs in my mind. You are right of course.

Thanks

Magnus (Magnus 2 is my shadow - long story involving new mother boards, re-installs and general nightmares that would make Flash Gordon's exploits with Ming the Merciless seem like a cake walk)
FollowupID: 322310

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 17:59

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 17:59
4 leaf seam a bit light to me. Seem ok for the unladen weight but to light if you load it up. I would prefer 7 leaf.
AnswerID: 60668

Follow Up By: Magnus 2 - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 08:56

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 08:56
My thoughts too but am doing more homework.

Magnus (Magnus 2 is my shadow - long story involving new mother boards, re-installs and general nightmares that would make Flash Gordon's exploits with Ming the Merciless seem like a cake walk)
FollowupID: 322311

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 23:40

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 23:40
The adequacy of your springs will depend on their WIDTH and leaf thickness and
length. The longer the floppier.
I had a 6X4 trailer I made myself with 4 leaf springs, fairly wide & reasonably short
and with shackles.
It rode well empty or full of firewood or whatever and I believe that an 1100 kg load would be OK on them. Maybe go to 5 leaf tobe sure if the springs meet other criteria,
Some trailers with 7 leaf slipper springs have very narrow leaves which are not so strong & can collapse in the centre bolt area. The shackle type ride much better.
Go for a wide leaf, stronger at the front eye too.
AnswerID: 60727

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 00:54

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 00:54
There is also a single leaf spring about, often used on boat trailers to combat rusting problems. This spring is quite thick in the centre and tapers in thickness towards the ends. Maybe worthwhile to investigate its usefulness for bush camper trailers.
Klaus
FollowupID: 322303

Follow Up By: Magnus 2 - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 08:59

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 08:59
Thanks ianmc. Will definitely be going for the shackle type rather than the slipper.

Just need to do more homework and have more talks with the CT maker.

Thanks

FollowupID: 322312

Reply By: Magnus 2 - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 09:04

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 09:04
Hi All,

Thanks for the input. What with dramas with motherboards etc I was finally able to have a look at the Alko web site this morning.

Seems to me that if I want to go with this particular Ct I will be taking a leap of faith on two fronts, the CT maker and Alko.

CT maker has been around for a long while and is still in business. Alko seems to have a good name and makes a whole range of springs.

Haven't had time to do a thorough search on Alko but now with the computer at least running I can now have a go. (Still do not have any software up and running, Thats a whole day's worth of work.

Thanks all for the input

AnswerID: 60742

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 19:10

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 19:10
Hi V8 Troopie. You reminded me of the Volvo360 (little car) I had a few years ago.
It had the single leaf tapered thickness springs at the rear. No troubles & of course no rattles. It also had a De Dion rear end with negative camber, stuck like glue & the motor was like new at 270,000kms.
Some yank tanks used to have em too! The tapered leaves that is!!
AnswerID: 60788

Sponsored Links