HN7 vs VMS

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 10:55
ThreadID: 132535 Views:3408 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This may have been done before.

I have read a lot of mixed reviews about the Hema HN7.

Anyone used the VMS?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 11:12

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 11:12
Yep The whole family have in-dash VMS boxes. That's 5 cars so far and looks like another on the way.

No issues at all. Wouldn't swap.

Phil
AnswerID: 600582

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 11:50

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 11:50
I would have preferred the HN7... but the price got to me. Both the VMS and HN7 have their positives and negatives. Either way, you need to spend some time learning how to get the best from them. I ended up buying the VMS because I saved over $100. Took awhile, but now I like it.

What really peeved me.... was the very next day after purchasing my VMS, 4wdsupacentre were selling the VMS for $399 (+ other gear with it) I could have saved another $100.

My advice.. save heaps and get a VMS GPS from the above seller. (no affiliation.. etc... blah blah blah) Either way, VMS or HN7, you will always find something you don't like about them.

Most complaints that I have heard from users, is simply because they don't know how to use them properly / fully. They have been happy with either unit once shown how to use it properly.

regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 600585

Reply By: Member - Witi Repartee - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 12:49

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 12:49
After a lot of debate we went with the HN7. One reason was I could position it better rather than having to glance away from the windscreen down to an in dash display....however thats a personal preference. I have enjoyed the learning process on the HN7...although at times it can be frustrating as I didn't understand mapping jargon. The best learning aid I have found are the you-tube videos....you can pause the video while you repeat the action on your own device. Also once I registered it on the Naviextras website, updates have been easy and over all I am happy with our purchase.
AnswerID: 600587

Reply By: Member - MartyRRS - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 13:05

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 13:05
I had a HN5 then went to a VMS 7 inch, I sold it promptly as the maps were not as good and it was a PITA to learn how to use. Also, the VMS did not want to talk to my reverse camera. Despite returning to the supplier/fitter and discussion with VMS the issue could not be resolved. As I use my GPS as a reverse camera screen I went to the new HN7 and was comfortable with it strait away with faultless reverse camera input, better maps and better 'graphics' - that is the screen resolution seemed much better.
AnswerID: 600588

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2016 at 11:44

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2016 at 11:44
Hi Marty
A bit 'off topic' here.
What were the issues in connecting your reverse camera to the GPS device ?? I'm just in the process of installing a generic type GPS- and following the wiring instructions connects to the device via a 2.5mm RCA type plug.
What was the VMS verdict as to why the problem ??
Regards
David
FollowupID: 870160

Follow Up By: Member - MartyRRS - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2016 at 13:07

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2016 at 13:07
Hi David, there was no final conclusion, my guess is that the VMS just didn't like my brand camera. The image would come and go and be variously upsidedown etc. I was unofficially told that the VMS can be a bit problematic with some reverse cameras. If you are using a generic GPS and camera you may not have any issues - it seemed to be a 'VMS thing'. Good luck and have fun!
FollowupID: 870166

Reply By: tony_j - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 14:08

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 14:08
I don't have either. I bought a 7" gps on ebay (<$100), bought Oziexplorer and the Hema maps. So, for less than $250 I have an equivalent to a HN7.
Now, a friend has a HN7 and couldn't be happier. Another friend used to sell VMS. He had 7 out of 10 returned because of faults. Although he will still sell them if pressed, he does not recommend them.
Cheers
Tony
AnswerID: 600592

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 14:18

Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 14:18
Hi Beach
I have used the Hema's since the HN5, then up to the HN7.
Dead easy to use, have the ability to add any of your favourite maps and if you live in SA and are an RAA Member, they will only set you back $599.

At that price, they are fantastic value and I would have thought that the other Automible Associations around Australia would be selling them for the same price.
Also ask yourself this question, as to be honest, I do not know the answer for the VMS, but with the Hema, you get the programme and all maps backed up to your computer, then at anytime, you can take the HN7 out of your car, connect to your computer and download all your track files and any waypoints created.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 600594

Reply By: S&N - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:31

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:31
we are looking at getting the zenec in dash unit! this is like haveing a vms indash unit but has all the hema maps on it! also has "camps" on it. I have heard nothing but problems from the vms, from multiple sellers!
AnswerID: 600880

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 21:18

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 21:18
And are these sellers also peddling Hema? I betchya.

Nt one issue with anyone in our whole club with bothof them. Watch the chinese lookalikes. Number 2 son got one to save a quid abd was surpeised when he heard ours playing the WUSB music while Ozi was running. His could only do one thing at a time. Needless to say he now has VMS.

Funny that all the "bad" reports are all heresay ones about issues that "someone else" had. Only ever heard ONE report from an owner. Hmmmmmm

Phil
FollowupID: 870472

Reply By: Member - python21 - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 22:54

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 22:54
I originally had a VMS unit on the dash but wanted to replace my Toyota in dash unit with an integrated GPS, Bluetooth phone, etc to reduce clutter. I would have gone with Hema if they had an in dash unit, so I was basically forced towards the VMS.

I have not been happy with the support from VMS, but it is the ideal unit for me with voice assisted street mapping, off road mapping (including the ability to load my HEMA maps), reversing cameras, Bluetooth phone (and music from your phone), CD/DVDs and AM/FM radio. I am happy with everything except the AM/FM radio, which has very poor reception compared to my original unit. VMS attempted to help with the problem after many complaining emails/posts to them, but the end result is still poor radio reception. The tuner chip must be cheap I reckon.

If someone could build a good integrated inbuilt unit they would have the market covered. I would like to see HEMA give it a go to give some competition in this area.

Cheers
AnswerID: 601083

Reply By: beach40 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 18:08

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 18:08
Thanks for all the info.

As it turned out, time got away from me and I was unable to get either of these units.

So I downloaded Hema maps onto my fruit phone and bought some old fashioned paper maps.

I have to say I'm well impressed with how well the maps worked on the phone in the middle of no where. The GPS function actually works quite well.

I'm also surprised to see that google maps actually kept tracking, provided I didn't try to alter anything.

I think I will now avail myself of one of those tablet devices to use with the Hema 4WD maps.
AnswerID: 601137

Sponsored Links