Brake Safe Remote Monitor

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2016 at 14:44
ThreadID: 132604 Views:3867 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I brought a new caravan and being from NSW I have to install a remote battery monitor.
I have a brake safe RM6000 I am going to wire it up myself but wondering if anyone can tell me which number outlet it goes to in tow bar plug
Thanks in advance.
Duncan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2016 at 15:38

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2016 at 15:38
The instructions are revealed by Google by typing in "Breaksafe monitor fitting instructions". Is a PDF so hard to post a link to.

I would run the wire through pin 2 which is not normally used.
AnswerID: 600812

Reply By: Member - Dave63 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 21:50

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 21:50
Hi fitzie,
I have just done this and I have had to change to a 12 pin plug. Pin 2 (normally reversing light) is used to put ignition circuit through to your break away unit. This is because your break away unit must be able to have its back-up battery chargeable from the towing vehicle and my caravan was wired to use pin 2. I had to get ignition power to this plug on my car, you need to modify your car to do this.

Now you need to get a wire from the break away unit that goes to your in-car monitor back though the plug as well, This means you now have 8 wires. my car actually has reverse lights wired to pin 2 (car) so when I re wired car and caravan I wired the charging wire from car to caravan through the extra pins (8-12) and the breakaway monitor wire also back through the 8 to 12.

I purchased a 2 year old top spec brand qld registered van and I had to replace the break away unit as NSW has requirements that no other state has. My breakaway battery is also chargeable from the battery bank of the caravan and both caravan bank battery and charging from tow vehicle can be both turned off as the break away battery can not be charged more for more than 5 hours straight before damage is done to the breakaway battery. (stated in fitting instructions on my break away unit).

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 600876

Follow Up By: Member - python21 - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 22:06

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 22:06
Hey Dave,
RV Electonics have told me that I can't overcharge the Breaksafe battery by connecting the black charge wire to the van's house battery. Here is a quote from their email to me;

"If you wire the Black charge wire direct to an on board battery this line will need to go through a 10 amp fuse, the on charge light will remain on all the time this is ok and will not overcharge the breaksafe battery.
If you do this the breaksafe draws .75amps if charging or .25 amps on stand by either will flatten your on board batteries over a period of time if you don’t continually charge them."

Cheers

FollowupID: 870402

Follow Up By: Member - Dave63 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:51

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:51
different brand and maybe set up different internally to prevent damage. Go by the instructions given.Check with the NSW rules about having to be charged from towing vehicle. Inspection station said NSW (only) need to be cable of being charged from towing vehicle even if other methods are fitted. Other states don't care how back up is charged (on board battery or solar panels), as long as charged. I tried arguing but gave up and just set up to charge from tow vehicle to get certificate. The point is I can turn off the charging circuit to prevent on board batteries going flat. Flicj switch once a month to make sure fully charged,

Hope that helps
FollowupID: 870436

Sponsored Links