CTEK problems, help please

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 20:28
ThreadID: 132622 Views:5147 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Below is a message from a mate of mine in the Kimberly. Would appreciate your feedback so we can help him out.

Thanks

Lyndon

Hi
I have a ctek smart pass connected with the D250s dual to my 2x 130ah agm batteries. I am not getting the full charge from the cteks ,when I had a look the ctek smart pass is showing an error light with the flashing light on #4 under the battery icon

Which suggests to relocate the unit because of heat,
The unit is fitted beside a set of drawers in the rear canopy of my hilux where I didn't think it is getting too hot
It also suggests to reduce the consumers connected, I've only got one 40ltr Engel connected .
And it also suggests charging the service battery which I have also done.
The error still is still on?
Can the error be re set or does the unit need replacing? It is approximately 2 years old and has been working fine until now.
I am currently traveling in northern Australia and can't find a stockist to speak with.
If the unit needs replacing should I just disconnect the smart pass and use the D250s as a stand alone unit for now?
Thanks very much

Peter
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jarse - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 06:09

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 06:09
Gidday Peter,

If there is a heat issue, it would probably depend on where the temp sensor is. It should be located on the battery, and if so, it may be the the battery is getting hot or the temperature in its compartment is too hot.

In the interim, you can just disconnect the joining bus bars and refit the battery lead to its output on the D250S.

Does your mate have a smart alternator on his car? If so, part of the problem (Smartpass aside) is that the D250S will cutout once the voltage drops below its trigger voltage. Ctek's solution is to fit a relay to switch the solar and alternator inputs to the solar terminal on the D250S.
That renders the Smartpass obsolete because the D250S is now limited to the max current of the solar charger (20A, from memory).

Hope this helps.

John.
AnswerID: 600884

Follow Up By: Jarse - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 06:10

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 06:10
Sorry, Lyndon.
FollowupID: 870241

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 06:26

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 06:26
'Too high a current through the relay warning' would suggest one of the batteries is stuffed or a dicky connection somewhere. I'd be checking them individually first before doing surgery on the ctec.
AnswerID: 600885

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 07:34

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 07:34
Whoops

Sorry should have mentioned, he has disconnected the batteries, charged them, then done a discharge test. All seems OK from that point.

Thanks

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870244

Sponsored Links