TUFF offroader

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 20:41
ThreadID: 132624 Views:2478 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Want to really get away from it all, see some remote country but can't afford the latest 4WD with super wide allterrain tyres.
Maybe one of these babies will fit the bill. If you can find one.
Maxwell
Cheers
Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Kanga1 - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 08:57

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 08:57
Hmmmmmm, Looking closely at the footage you might see Goodrich tyres, ARB front bumper, Steinbauer chip and a Greenpeace sticker!!!!
Pretty amazing what some of these guys took on unsupported!!
Thanks for putting that up
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 600889

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 13:02

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 13:02
The car does have good clearance and great approach and departure angles. It's been a while since I wore a tie on any 4wd adventure...:-)
AnswerID: 600897

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 13:38

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 13:38
I wonder how many Maxwells they actually went through, producing that film!!??

I strongly suspect they had a number of vehicles - just as the Dukes of Hazzard had a number of Dodge Chargers on hand - to replace the ones destroyed in those spectacular jumps!

I love the straight-out bulldozing of the scrub - without a single breakdown or failure of any kind!!?? Yeah, right!! - pull the other one, that's got bells on it!!

The old cars were notorious for mudguards falling off on rough roads - and you can see the "bandaging" holding the headlights and the mudguards on, in numerous shots!!

Bulldozing scrub the way they were doing it would result in staked tyres and punctured radiators in 5 mins flat!! Yet, they seem to miraculously survive unscathed?? Gimme a break!!

People still get staked tyres with todays modern tyres and reasonable tracks - let alone pounding straight through heavy scrub with those old canvas tyres - that got regularly punctured on good roads in the 1920's!!

I can remember back around the late 1960's and early 1970's, when the Poseidon Nickel boom was in full swing in W.A. and exploration and pegging was frantic.

Gridlines needed to be cut for tenement pegging - and the exploration pegging teams initially used Landrovers and old 3 speed 'Cruisers as bush-bashers, to cut the gridlines!

They were incurring so many flat tyres from the straight-out bulldozing of scrub, that they resorted to using bald tyres and increasing tyre pressures.

The principle was that the bald tyres and higher tyre pressures would deflect the stakes - and it actually worked!
The pegging teams reduced their staked tyres by an appreciable number by following this technique.

Then the companies woke up when we rocked up with bulldozers for hire for cutting gridlines - and they realised that bulldozers was what they really needed, all along!

Surprisingly, there were virtually no bulldozers in the W.A. Goldfields when we rolled up in Kalgoorlie around 1970 with our Cat D6's.
We did some ripping work on the Golden Mile with a D6, and all the bosses of the gold mining companies flocked down like kids around an ice-cream truck spill, just to watch this "huge" Cat working! LOL

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 600900

Sponsored Links