Article Comment: ExplorOz Traveller Feedback & FAQ

Our unit for Traveller is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with Android 5.0.2 We did a trial run with Traveller yesterday and have the following comments:
with our unit on the dashboard mount (in a Mitsubishi Canter)- the orange hash navigating line can be difficult to see on maps with dirt roads showing as a red hash line
- the 'navigate to bars' (pale blue with white writing) can be difficult to read. Dark writing would be easier, or user input eventually with color & size of print ability
we would like a trail left on the map of our route taken. Both to enable an exact return if needed and to have a history of roads driven
concentric distance rings radiating from current position would be nice
an alarm when approaching waypoint would be nice
we were unable to delete recent places unless it was a waypoint (i.e. heritage notes and camp sites)
'end navigation' did not always work
Love the app and work in progress being taken. We are looking forward to trying the lat & long input for waypoints.
Pam & Grant

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 12:54

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 12:54
Pam & Grant,

Excellent feedback thanks. Yeah how about we go with a user selectable Current Nav line and even the Next Nav lines (which are currently purple). I will add these to settings in a next version.

Heading - I assume you mean line 2 which is a lighter blue with the Naviating To XXX - I wonder if a dark line with white writing may suit this better like the tabs at the bottom of the screen - what do you think? I could colour select this however at present it is using one of the 7 base defined style colours and it would be easy to switch it from this to the darker one.

On terms of your current position was the pulsing icon at your current location not showing or was it that you could not see it easily enough? It should be pulsing if you have this option enabled in settings.

There should have been a waypoint reached alarm as well as an auto dismissed pop-up message! How close did you get?

Deleting of places should be possible for all place types provided they are local to your device. At present we do not allow for deleting of master online system places directly from the app. We would prefer this be done via submission of comments into the place itself so that place administrators can valid the deletion requirements.

End Navigation - That is very strange what happened when you pressed it, we have never seen a use case that the End Navigation did not work so interested in your feedback on this one.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601252

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 12:55

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 12:55
Oh and the version you should have already will have the edit position of new places from the touch and hold and also pin icon on the map screen. Give it a try in testing it should be working fine.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870635

Follow Up By: Pam P (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:12

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 14:12
Hi David,

User selectable nav lines sounds great

Heading: I have attached a screen shot & the main one we need to read is 'From You xxxxxx' Dark writing would be great. I don't see the dark line with white writing tabs?

Current position: yes we have the pulsing icon, but the concentric circles are a distance indicator of how far the icon is from various items on the map

Arrival Alarm: obviously we didn't get close enough. Will test this next week.

Deleting places: I have just looked at a couple of local camp sites, so they are now in recent places. I was just browsing to see what was mentioned, we don't want to use them, but now I cannot delete them from the list.

Pin Drop position edit: looking forward to testing this one. We didn't have the update before we went for a drive

We will be out in the Simpson for a few weeks soon and will give these a try then.

Pam & Grant

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870637

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 15:45

Sunday, Jun 12, 2016 at 15:45
Pam & Grant,

Have a look at the 1.7.3 release notes in the ExplorOz Traveller Feedback & FAQ section under versions. I have implemented your feedback already. Hope these settings make it easier. Please continue to let us know your feedback it is the model we use to build the app that you want to have.

PS: I am uploading this version as I write this to the stores.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601258

Follow Up By: Pam P (VIC) - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:56

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:56
David,

I think the grey is great. It did take several hours for the update to be available.

We are looking again at features of Traveller having printed a copy of the help files to have open beside us. :)

Cheers,
Pam
Pam & Grant

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870681

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 09:51

Monday, Jun 13, 2016 at 09:51
sorry but negative and positive feedback from me!
I took the spiel etc in good faith and downloaded the app on my Samsung S2 tablet only to find that it was limited to using internal storage only atm.
Therefore all I can download is the Base Pack. Yes I eventually found the FAQ stating the apps limitations ( after wasting time trying to find an option to download onto external storage) but that was not stated on the promotional email received nor in the download info.
The email clearly stated it was suited for android tabs etc. It did not state that there was some limitations and some work in progress to be able to download and use the complete mapping data base.
Disappointing the full info on limitations was not made clear in the promotion spiel. I have now potentially perhaps wasted the $ as far as I am concerned and with the time limit of Google Play I cant refund either.
Having said that the app is good and I look forward to using it but its usefulness is limited if its not fully functional with all data bases.
David and Michelle you have lost a few brownie points with me this time. The app wasn't cheap but I was prepared to pay for it based on good faith
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601278

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 09:48

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 09:48
Ok so no response from the developers. However I have done the following to at least get the maximum advantage from the app.

Gone and purchased a larger capacity SD card for my Samsung S2 tab. Moved the large mapping files (from other navigation aps) that were on the internal storage onto this SD card.

Now I have room to download (onto internal storage) the mapping files for this app.. Interesting to note the following....that the issue David has said is that his app has trouble communicating with files on the SD card...hence the need to use the internal storage.

The large mapping files I shifted onto the SD card were Oziexplorer and Navionics (Australian marine navigation). Both these apps have no trouble using the files on the SD card. Perhaps David you might note this and use this info to your advantage constructively?

So i have solved my problem but remain a little grumpy it was not spelt out as whilst in my case I have worked around the problem (but had the two apps I mentioned not been able to read the SD card then a different outcome) others may not be able to.

cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870713

Sponsored Links