Roof Bag help please

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 13:18
ThreadID: 132742 Views:2052 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2013 BT50 dual cab fitted with Rhino Vortex 2500 RS cross bars. I wish to use a Rhino Half Luggage Bag on these racks but don't want to have to get a roof basket or platform to mount it on.
I am thinking of cutting a piece of 12mm marine ply to size and stiffening it by adding some 12mm square section aluminium tube running along its length. This would then go INSIDE the bag, aluminium strip side up, and form a solid floor which will span the gap between the bars whilst supporting the stuff in the bag which will be light but bulky (eg bedding, clothing etc). Finally I would use some of those lockable cut resistant straps to tie it all down.
Can anyone see problems with doing this or have alternatives to offer?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Cheers
TG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KSV - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 13:53

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 13:53
I use to have roof bag in past and not for me anymore - incredibly inconvenient to pack it on car and if you do it on ground (still inconvenient, just a tad less) it require two blokes to put it up or bring it down. The whole reason why I got BT-50 is not to mess anymore with roofracks - inconvenient, upset aerodynamics, makes center of gravity too high and damage roof. Not for me anyway and it up to you.
AnswerID: 601311

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 13:58

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 13:58
We use a RackSak on the Prado and 100. Both work fine. We don't take the bag down, just climb up and empty it.
However what you describe will likely wear through the material where it rests on the crossbars - and pretty quickly too.
Better off fitting ply to the bars and then the bag on top of that.
AnswerID: 601312

Follow Up By: tg123 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 15:27

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2016 at 15:27
Hi Malcolm
Yeah, thought about that - racks have rubber strips that protrude a couple of mm above the bar so thought if the bag is tightly secured rubbing would be minimal?
Also intend to pack/ unpack on the tailgate then missus and I can chuck it on the racks - had a test run and easy for us both to manage. If the ply is attached to the racks & bag on top then I'm back to the platform concept.
Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 870738

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 06:19

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 06:19
Guess you can only try and see how it goes.
If you going off road with corrugations then I don't think it go well longer term.
I'd also be concerned about complacency creeping in and the tie down process not being implemented properly. Ie, your going to get sick of lifting it up there...
FollowupID: 870766

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 09:38

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 09:38
I'd be semi permanently fixing the ply to the roof racks with bolts or series 500 screws for touring. A few cut outs in the ply for the straps to go through and you are away.
Maybe a single strongback angle fixed down the middle of the underside to hold the ply nice and straight.
Just a matter of clipping the bag on and off in the same fashion as using a roof basket.
Good idea using an extra strap or two though because they are designed to sit in a basket.
The ply in bag and strapping the whole show down every day thing sounds like it is going to be a complete pain.
AnswerID: 601334

Follow Up By: tg123 - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:51

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:51
Thanks everyone for your input. Will do a bit of rethinking.
Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 870790

Sponsored Links