McHitch Auto Coupler

Submitted: Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:06
ThreadID: 132817 Views:6077 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning Im interested in anybody who uses one of these tow hitches on their caravan,do you run with weight distribution bars and do you have any issues with this tow hitch. Caravan and Motorhome magazine just ran a comparison with other tow hitches and this one was a clear winner.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:18

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:18
2 of our Caravan Club members have the McHitch with WDH. They have an adapter that allows them to use the Hayman Reese System which they already had before getting the McHitch. I understand that McHitch has it's own proprietary WDH
AnswerID: 601628

Follow Up By: Member - Peter&Lynore - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:33

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:33
Hi Humpback
Yes if you mean the one that a shaft goes in to the back of the Haymen Rece on the car, as like the back of a truck, sorry don't know correct name, we have had it for about 2 yrs can't fault it, we were told it doesn't work with WDH , so we put air bags on , it is great no more creaking around tight turns easy to reverse, no need to disconnect , can hook up myself using reversing camera, no more pulling chains up, we are extremely happy with it.
???? ???? peter
FollowupID: 871151

Reply By: Warren B - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 13:44

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 13:44
High humpback, we have a auto coupler, series 200 with OME suspension 200kg rear springs with air bags. our van has a ball of 280 kg. we have now done away with WDH and have no problems at all. What I did do however was cut the wheel off an old jockey wheel and weld a large flat plate on, this has helped the coupling process.

Cheers bass
AnswerID: 601637

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 14:38

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 14:38
We have an Auto Coupler but don't use a WDH. Before the AC we had a Tregg.

We had no real problem hooking up with the Tregg, our routine is pretty good. But uncoupling was often difficult due to a side load being put on the pin from using levelling ramps.

The Auto Coupler solved that and also made looking up even easier.

I've looked at others but chose the Auto Coupler. I reckon you can't go past them.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601641

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 15:52

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 15:52
I have 3 of the McHitch Auto couplers. Love them!!!

I started off by putting one on my Ultimate Offroad Camper trailer because the Treg was a real pain on anything other than an "ideal" surface...(ie: flat, level and solid......on sand, grass on on any sort of fore/aft slope the Treg was a pain to get the pin in or out!!).

I was so happy with that unit I bought one for the box trailer....which also had a Treg.

Then, in January this year, we bought a 20' Bushtracker (ATM 3500kg, ball weight potentially around 400kg). I bought the 6 tonne McHitch Auto and am using a Air Safe Hitch on the Silverado to ease the potential for adverse shock loading from the VERY stiff Chev suspension. The BT came with a DO35 which after two attempts at coupling up I was glad to see the back of!!! Useless!!!

Don't need WDH gear and I read somewhere on a Bushtracker site recently that McHitch strongly recommend against using WDH on caravans when their hitch is being used.

Best check with McHitch boss Joe McInnes. I've been to his Lithgow factory and he is a great bloke and he has developed a fantastic hitch.
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601645

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 19:56

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 19:56
Ask on here. Lots use them with the WDH ok
Remember airbags are not a substitute for a WDH. all they do is lift the rear and DONT shift any weight forward onto the front axlle that was lifted by the act of hitching the van up.
Any one who thinks they do is denying the laws of physics

Experts on here
AnswerID: 601658

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 20:17

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 20:17
Hi humpback. We had Kimberely Kampers 4 years ago that had a Greg coupling and I replaced it with an Ozhitch which was so much better.....but when we changed up to a later Kampers I fitted a Mchitch. This has got to be the best coupling ever made. So easy to couple up alone, often does so without even getting out to check line up because it is very tolerant of misalignments. There is no movement between car and trailer so no jerking from bumps. Aussie designed and made too.
Two of our travelling camping friends fitted one each as soon as they saw ours. Bloody brilliant bit of gear.
AnswerID: 601660

Follow Up By: humpback - Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 21:39

Monday, Jun 20, 2016 at 21:39
Great feedback thank you to everybody who took the time to reply very much appreciated.
Cheers
Humpback
FollowupID: 871196

Follow Up By: Whirlwinder - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 02:34

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 02:34
OK humpback. Now you have all the good info please let us know what you do and if you fit one then you too can rave on like us.
Sorry about the typos in the previous reply. Now we have a preview function I should remember to use it.
FollowupID: 871203

Reply By: Member - WBS - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 09:29

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 09:29
I bought one (McHitch Auto Coupler) for my new Jayco Eagle Outback. This was a mistake! They are so damn clever and so easy to couple and uncouple that I now want one for my caravan and trailer as well. Its going to cost me a bundle. There are adapters available for the different styles of WDH. A brilliant hitch in my opinion.

The hitching and unhitching is very easy compared to the Alko type coupler.

When I ordered mine, Joe McGinnes the inventor and manufacturer, firstly personally responded promptly to my email enquiry, then insisted on talking to me when I put in my phone order to ensure I was getting the right one. That tells me he has a fair amount of commitment to people buying his product. I assume he does that for all his customers.

WBS
AnswerID: 601681

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 14:59

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 14:59
Yes, in my experience Joe McInnes does do that.

Like you, I now have 3 McHitch Auto couplers.....2 tonne on my off-road box trailer, 3.5 tonne on the Ultimate Offroad Camper trailer and the 6 tonne unit on the Bushtracker. Money well spent!!!

I can't understand why the head honcho of Bushtracker seems to dislike the McHitch so much.....I think he is just averse to change unless he is the one who thinks of it. He insists on putting DO35 or DO45 couplers on his vans.

When I fitted my McHitch I posted up a photo of it on his forum and I got put back in my box well and truly!!!

Roachie

FollowupID: 871221

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 18:25

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 18:25
Yes, Roachie, the Kimberley boss has the same view. Cannot for the life of me see why, unless a contract has been let for the supply of their preferred brand.
Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 871230

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 19:59

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 19:59
I've got one and they are the brilliant. A big plus is it makes it a lot harder to steal your trailer as they aren't common yet. I just need to invest in a lockable hitch pin for the receiver, loathe to leave the car unattended for extended periods in quiet spots .
FollowupID: 871235

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 15:10

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 15:10
GREG T11,

They already come from the McHitch factory with a lockable linch pin (attached to the receiver by a steel cable so you can't lose it). This prevents anybody easily uncoupling the trailer from your rig.

Or, maybe you meant that you'd like one to go through the hole in the trailer's section? If so, then why worry? If the thieves want you trailer/caravan, then all they have to do is hook it up to their truck using the safety chains....there's even a video on Youtube showing how quickly this can be done.

Roachie

FollowupID: 871261

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 21:09

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 21:09
Cheers Roachie, I was referring to the actual bit that is left on the car after you unhitch. Pretty inconvenient for it to disappear as they are not easily borrowed .

No biggie, just peace of mind for me, and like a locked door or window it is only a deterrent for part timers.

On the other hand if someone decides they want my camper there is not a lot I can do but once again a out of the ordinary coupling may deter the opportunist.

For the price and the ease of use it is a winner for me.
FollowupID: 871338

Reply By: skulldug - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 20:43

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2016 at 20:43
Just be aware that the distance between the hole on your tounge and hitch is longer than a standard ball coupling.

I had all sorts of problems trying to get my HR WDH to work with the McHitch They tried to get me to make modifications to my Hayman Reese WDH that just didn't make sense. I'd rather trust Hayman Reese engineering than McHitch which is relatively unknown.

At least he refunded my money but it cost me $70 postage.

AnswerID: 601707

Reply By: mynance - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 20:45

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 20:45
Hi Humpback

We have just returned from a 6000 Kilometre trip with our new Auto coupler, excellent coupling much quieter than the previous hitches.

Our Autocoupler replaces a Hyland on our Seachange van we do not use a WDH as the van manufacturer said we would not need one and it tracks along behind the Pajero nicely and we travel at the speed limit most of the time.

Myles
AnswerID: 601737

Reply By: Kiwi100 - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 21:20

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 21:20
Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but if your caravan is more than a 17-footer, you will never need the articulation of a McHitch, or any other fancy (and expensive) hitch. If you exceed the articulation of a standard ball hitch with a 20-foot van, you are most likely already an expensive salvage job.

Added to that, the McHitch puts your pivot point about 60mm further from your tug's rear axle - adding to the inherent instability of an overhung hitch.

AnswerID: 601760

Sponsored Links