Article Comment: ExplorOz Traveller App

re traveller app track log : I'm having trouble getting my tracking to work when not connected to the net ,
shows as a straight line when its up loaded to the website ~ from last point with net coverage to next time net coverage I.E not following any points in between .I have the traveller icon at top of screen , gps icon > flashing > searching > some times locking on ???? With net coverage it does follow some sort of track .but not routable , it appears to me as there is no contact app & gps when no phone coverage ...
androids phone version 4.2.1 ~ traveller version latest up to date , any help appreciated .....
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 19:58
Nickb,

Hum that is interesting 4.2.1 Android - I was chatting to a developer in the UK over the last few days as he was seeing a problem in the GPS drivers on 4.3 and I had not seen any such problem. However the problem we were talking about would not matter if you are online or offline.

As a test for the moment can you please go into Settings - Advanced - GeoLocation Settings and change the distanceFilter from 100 down to 20 and please try with and without Internet again please. Also can you run this test without going into the Map or Nav Map pages please just run it in the background or leave it on the home page.

PS: I have moved this into the ExplorOz Traveller Feedback and FAQ pages which is where it should be stored on the system.

Sorry you are having this problem we will solve it as quickly as possible with you. Can I ask what device you are using? Does it support an Android update at all?

I have a 4.2.2 device and did some testing but did not see the problem.
David

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601736

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 21:32

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2016 at 21:32
Thanks for your reply David : till i get a chance to do some more testing .....
i have tested logging on the home page :(
I have tried on 2 separate devices
Asus tablet andriods 4.2.1 ~wifi only ~
Telstra etz t83 (dave) phone version 4.1.2
Note the phone has no sim ( previous phone ) when testing ....
I have tested it with viewranger in the same condition & tracks log with no problems .
& have done similar the with tablet .....
Note : I was able to track a log with the tablet using OEtrackme .....
Regards updates you wld need to tell me how to check update ~ tablet update only recently & phone has update some time ago .
Q This would have nothing to do with the way I have installed / set up the apps ?? strange that no one else has had the same problem ....
I hope i'm not wasting your time.....
Regards nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 871272

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:59

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:59
Nick,
No problems at all one of the interesting things to note in terms of other users - there are only about 6-10 devices in total using < Android 5 at this stage with the app loaded and I am not sure how many are using Track Logging so you may be one of a select few also considering that in the 6-10 older Android device you appear to be 2 units. So it is not a waste of time I have some possible suspicions with the GPS drivers.

The original EOTrackMe program uses totally different technology to the new app. Within Traveller we have implemented a smart auto movement detection driver that should intelligently disable the GPS when you are stopped and start it again when you move - this is all done so that you can in fact leave the app running in the background at all times without significant battery loss.
I need to continue to look into this for these older Android versions so would really welcome any testing time or details you can provide.

You can run the original EOTrackMe and the new one at the same time also so we can see any differences in the traces.
In terms of Android update - you would normally be prompted for such an upgrade on the device automatically - do you have a model on the ASUS?
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871285

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 18:40

Thursday, Jun 23, 2016 at 18:40
Nick,

I did an edit above as we have over 200 apps installed not 6-10 I was trying to say 6-10 users with Android < 5.

I am monitoring the uptake on this Android version and will plan a course of action as I can implement a work around for older Android to force the track logging to record but it is not super ideal to have a chuck of code sitting there to support one older OS version. Do not stress we will sort out something and I am still yet to fully identify if this is the problem.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871298

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 17:20

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 17:20
NickB,

Following on from our communications I have added an Android 4.X work around to the Track Logging system and in the next update it should record a position at least every minute. We can test this moving forward and make changes as needed. However I repeat this is only a mod that will trigger in Track Logging on Android 4.X systems, all other systems will use the dedicated movement detection system for recording position updates.

When we publish this I will let you know most likely early next week but there is a fair amount of testing to do first as the GPS driver updates are substantial.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601798

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jul 01, 2016 at 17:42

Friday, Jul 01, 2016 at 17:42
nickb,

1.8.7 is out with the work around installed - very keen to hear how it goes for you now.

PS: 1.8.8 is also just out with a bug fix for the map pack downloads but I do not think you experienced this one. Was limited to devices with very short storage capacity.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 602024

Sponsored Links